Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I watched Ghost Protocol last night and WOW! i do NOT remember the Burj Kalifa scene being that breathtaking. I literally gasped and shrieked.

The gadgets are super cool, I especially found the projector scene in the Kremlin good fun, and exactly the right tone of this franchise - fun, but still tense enough to have you slightly on edge.

The third act is definitely a let down though and the villain was very bland and non-threatening.

Now, my ranking is 4 > 2 > 3 > 1

The Dubai scene in 70mm IMAX was absolutely incredible. The giant screen and IMAX camera made it feel like the audience was gonna fall off the top of the skyscraper. Brad Bird nailed it!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The Dubai scene in 70mm IMAX was absolutely incredible. The giant screen and IMAX camera made it feel like the audience was gonna fall off the top of the skyscraper. Brad Bird nailed it!

Yeah, I wish I had seen it in IMAX (or even in the cinema) back in the day. I'd only watched MI4 once before, on a laptop, and iirc, I didn't think much of it. At least last night I watched it on my big TV and had a good experience.

Also, I can't believe there was ever plans to have Renner take over. He is so unlikeable in this film lol.

Will watch Rogue Nation tonight, although I already saw it 3 times in the cinema so will be intrigued to see if my opinion of it changes at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

I watched Ghost Protocol last night and WOW! i do NOT remember the Burj Kalifa scene being that breathtaking. I literally gasped and shrieked.

The gadgets are super cool, I especially found the projector scene in the Kremlin good fun, and exactly the right tone of this franchise - fun, but still tense enough to have you slightly on edge.

The third act is definitely a let down though and the villain was very bland and non-threatening.

Now, my ranking is 4 > 2 > 3 > 1

Ghost Protocol is still my second favourite behind Fallout. It's a delight! And I love how the gadgets in the film just never, ever work correctly, it's both very funny but adds a level of tension that makes the high stakes of this one really stand out.

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Yeah, I wish I had seen it in IMAX (or even in the cinema) back in the day. I'd only watched MI4 once before, on a laptop, and iirc, I didn't think much of it. At least last night I watched it on my big TV and had a good experience.

Also, I can't believe there was ever plans to have Renner take over. He is so unlikeable in this film lol.

Will watch Rogue Nation tonight, although I already saw it 3 times in the cinema so will be intrigued to see if my opinion of it changes at all.

It was a 5 star experience with IMAX that made me overlook some of the shortcomings of the movie. I think that it doesn't fair so well on the small screen and is a 4 star movie or even lower when I rewatch it.

But I like if we have this kind of films that are made for the big screen and getting that overwhelming experience even if they are not so good on the small screen.

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Wonder if Cruise will take DR1 flop personally and  he decides to push himself to extreme amounts in Part 2

What flop? Franchise OW record in 30+ countries. Suppose for arrogant Americans, only the US matters.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

37 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Wonder if Cruise will take DR1 flop personally and  he decides to push himself to extreme amounts in Part 2

DR2 blows every instalment of the series out of the water as per Mcquarrie. It was pretty apparent DR1 was the setup with DR2 being the payoff.

Also, the part 1 in the title definitely didn’t do it any favours. The MI franchise doesn’t really have a dedicated fan base who follow the storyline. The reason for its backloadedness is that casuals come to watch Cruise do awesome shit. But with the Part 1 in the title, you are alienating the casuals who’ll come straight for the final entry.

I also suspect real WOM to be not as high as is being reported because of its midweek release. Super fans went on Wednesday and probably skewed the score while the GA which makes up the majority of MI’s B.O and who go largely on the weekends to the movies weren’t polled.

44 minutes ago, Algebra said:

DR2 blows every instalment of the series out of the water as per Mcquarrie. It was pretty apparent DR1 was the setup with DR2 being the payoff.

Also, the part 1 in the title definitely didn’t do it any favours. The MI franchise doesn’t really have a dedicated fan base who follow the storyline. The reason for its backloadedness is that casuals come to watch Cruise do awesome shit. But with the Part 1 in the title, you are alienating the casuals who’ll come straight for the final entry.

I also suspect real WOM to be not as high as is being reported because of its midweek release. Super fans went on Wednesday and probably skewed the score while the GA which makes up the majority of MI’s B.O and who go largely on the weekends to the movies weren’t polled.

Felt it was highly reported. Watched this one 3 times so far and I'd rank it below Fallout & Ghost Protocol. 

Infact what strikes me is that GP didn't recieve A CinemaScore back in the day.

10 minutes ago, Brian Miller said:

Felt it was highly reported. Watched this one 3 times so far and I'd rank it below Fallout & Ghost Protocol. 

Infact what strikes me is that GP didn't recieve A CinemaScore back in the day.

Yeah..I mean there can’t be any other reason for it to underperform this much relative to expectations 

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

this bombing reminds me of MI3 , that had high expectations after coming off MI2. You can't keep making entries just because, you need to offer audiences something new. Henry Cavill last time at least got some younger folks interested .

Lol polling shows MI7 had a younger turnout than MI6

• Like 1

Last night I watched Rogue Nation. It was better than I remember. Definitely the most consistently good entry so far. The third act is better paced and more exciting, with the personal stakes of Ethan and Benji. Solomon Lane is a creepy villain. Ilsa Faust is a good addition, in fact both Ilsa and Benji stepping up in this film are improvements to the series, giving Ethan more character flaws / vulnerabilities. Opening plane scene is still just as good as it was in the cinema.

Not as jaw dropping as Ghost Protocol, overall a better film, bbuuuuut... that Dubai sequence elevates Ghost Protocol above Rogue Nation.

Now, my ranking is 4 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 1.

Now onto Fallout tonight. After DR:1 I thought Fallout was still the best of the franchise. But its been 5 years so maybe my opinion shall change.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

no way is this making any money theatrically. 

How is this a flop? Fallout opened to 61M in the US, Dead Reckoning opened to 57M after already being released on a Wednesday. Its pretty much the same. Fallout went on to make 800M.

This past week I rewatched Rogue Nation and Fallout. I surprising found the Rogue Nation to be the better out of the two. At least on the small screen. It was more of suspenseful and intriguing plotwise. Opera Scene really ups the anxiety and adrenaline. It had more of a spy thriller feel akin to the first Mission Impossible. It also helps that Ilsa was basically a secondary main character in this one, whereas the next two she was a side character like Benji and Luthor.

5 > 6 > 1 > 4 > 7 > 2 > 3

23 minutes ago, Avatree said:

How is this a flop? Fallout opened to 61M in the US, Dead Reckoning opened to 57M after already being released on a Wednesday. Its pretty much the same. Fallout went on to make 800M.

This is not making anywhere close to $800M though and it has $290M budget. It's losing around $130-140M from China alone

I don't think some of you guys understand how international box office works. China could inflate a film's worldwide tally, but in reality Hollywood films see very litte revenue from that market. For instance FAST X is actually going to have smaller net revenue than ATSV and maybe even DR1. As mentioned many times, it is silly to calculate losses on DR1. The budget and the gross needs to be calculated when we see how much DR1 and DR2 made combined. DR2 will do franchise best numbers, especially if it lands more weeks in PLF and marketed as the last mission.

Edited by The Dark Alfred