Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

Personal ranking:
6 = 7 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 2
6 is probably a bit better than 7, but I enjoyed them around the same, kinda like Across The Spiderverse against Into The Spiderverse in a way.

1 - De Palma nuff said.

4 - Dubai.

3 - Hoffman elevates it, but don't remember anything else from it.

5 - very competent and overall enjoyable, but at the same time very unremarkable, opera sequence was already cliche at that point, third act is extremely cheap like they ran out of money (Spectre had exactly the same issue) and I didn't like Rebecca at all there, her character was super generic and perfomance was super bland, maybe because it was her first big budget Hollywood movie and she didn't know what to do with cardboard character, but she was much better in both 6 and 7, a lot more comfortable, alive and more interesting look (like that Metal Gear Solid style in Dead Reckoning opening).

2 is probably one of the weirdest sequels ever made, it feels like a completely different movie entirely from the first one, Cruise is completely different too, it clearly doesn't belong to this franchise. It's very silly, but kinda fun at times and it has some glorious Woo's cheese.

• Like 1

The MI franchise isn’t like a CBM property. There’s a very small dedicated fan base which is why these movies have historically been so backloaded. This time, the casuals didn’t connect with the movie as much.

I’m a 1000% sure that Cruise and Mcq will force Paramount to learn from their mistakes and get things back on track for Part 2

Yeah it's a victim of circumstance honestly and a franchise making it to the 7th entry is pretty impressive. I also don't think it could go past 8 entries without it feeling stale so honestly I'm looking forward to the send off and hope its a great movie. F&F might still be making money overseas but it definitely needs to be put to rest at least for some time. MI will not suffer from the fatigue reputation that it has and I think that's a good thing. 

11 hours ago, Firepower said:

third act is extremely cheap like they ran out of money

Horses for courses, but that was what I absolutely loved about it. They outsmarted the villain and it played like a classic TV episode rather than a bombastic over-the-top bog standard finale. And obviously a great bookend considering how the villain was introduced to Ethan, separated by the glass. It was a good subversion of expectations after Ghost Protocol.

I find the last 4 to be very consistent, though Fallout does stand out, not just because the action is the best in the series, but because there is a consistent through-line from the previous one and Cavill really elevates it all, by being the hammer to Ethan's scalpel in the first half, then a proper good villainous turn. DR's villains are by far its weakest point for me. One is still too abstract on one hand and yet overly-familiar to audiences, and the other is just too underdeveloped to make him memorable. Hopefully DR2 fixes that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Horses for courses, but that was what I absolutely loved about it. They outsmarted the villain and it played like a classic TV episode rather than a bombastic over-the-top bog standard finale. And obviously a great bookend considering how the villain was introduced to Ethan, separated by the glass. It was a good subversion of expectations after Ghost Protocol.

I find the last 4 to be very consistent, though Fallout does stand out, not just because the action is the best in the series, but because there is a consistent through-line from the previous one and Cavill really elevates it all, by being the hammer to Ethan's scalpel in the first half, then a proper good villainous turn. DR's villains are by far its weakest point for me. One is still too abstract on one hand and yet overly-familiar to audiences, and the other is just too underdeveloped to make him memorable. Hopefully DR2 fixes that.

I agree nothing can top the action or Cavill's arrogant smarminess of fallout but istill really like the variety of the action DR Part 1and  The train climax is just great  from the word go. And I like Pom's silent assassin and Esai while undeveloped still gives off a unsettling vibe that will be explored in part 2 i assume.

I rewatched Fallout last night. Kind of mixed feelings on it now. Before, I thought it was the best MI film. But rewatching it on my TV, it definitely drags a bit in the middle. The chase through London after the Cavill reveal (and that reveal is still sooooo satisfying) feels like a natural climax and then there's another 40 minutes in the mountains.

But those helicopter stunts are simply phenomenal and the Halo jump is stunning.

Henry Cavill is great.

I'm actually unsure where to place Fallout now. In the cinema it was a total jaw dropping experience. But at home the rest of the film does drag a bit.

I think I'm gonna say 6 = 4 > 5 > 2 > 3 > 1. Will go watch DR1 again at the weekend to finalise!

Edited by Avatree

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Paramount needs to put this movie on Netflix, not this Paramount  Plus bullshit, if they want a lot more people to see it before Part 2

Paramount movies are not exclusive to P+ they appear on other services after a few months. Maverick and other recent films are on Prime video for free. streaming won't save a movie if interest is not there. Indy movies on D+ created little added interest . The problem is MI films never open big and rely on wom, but its a big issue when three other movies are sucking up all the oxygen (Barbie, Oppenheimer & Sound Of Freedom) . And if you missed PLF on opening weekend, most will just wait for vod.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

The problem with September is daily numbers would be shit as long as the movie is, and on the weekend you are competing with Football for Males. Probably would have been a wash if make even less.  Christmas would have been great. Imagine they did what they did with Ghost Protocol.