Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

40 minutes ago, John Marston said:

As soon as this movie turned out to be a flop it felt like loads online turned against this movie and hell Cruise in general.  Never seen anything like it.

The Mob is always fickle.

But then Cruise has been divisive for a long time. He has a lot of over the top fanboys and over the top detractors.

People with a balanced view on him seem to be few and far between on the internet.

Me, I like a lot ofhis movies andthink he is a good actor, but I truly hate his involement with the Co$, particulary given what has dome out about them in the past decade and even Cruise has really downplayed his involment with them over the past few years. He also can come off as arrogant as hell. 

I am betting his  new deal with WB does have some hedges agianst his tendacy to drive the budgets on his movies into the stratosphere; studiios simply cannot afford for that to happen in the new climate.

I think after the next one the MI franchsie is probably in for a long,long, hiatus if not out and out dead.

Edited by dudalb

43 minutes ago, John Marston said:

As soon as this movie turned out to be a flop it felt like loads online turned against this movie and hell Cruise in general.  Never seen anything like it.

Nolan was hated/called overrated online after Tenet, and Film Twitter blamed him for reopening movie theaters too soon and disregarding public safety. In the awards space, Bradley Cooper is currently is getting massively dunked on and internet diagnosed with personality disorders for making an Oscar bait movie. The worm usually turns and there is a recovery, especially for male celebrities, unless they've done something really cancel-worthy (and even then they can still have huge online fanbases).

With Cruise, it could go either way. He has a long filmography and fans might remember how much they've liked him before, but all ongoing movie stardom ends eventually, one way or another. Plus, his religious ties aren't without controversy. Maybe 2024 is the year Suri speaks out or the deal with Shelly Miscavige is uncovered, setting off an avalanche of negativity that sticks. But he seems well liked in Hollywood, which goes a long way in surviving there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Nolan was hated/called overrated online after Tenet, and Film Twitter blamed him for reopening movie theaters too soon and disregarding public safety. In the awards space, Bradley Cooper is currently is getting massively dunked on and internet diagnosed with personality disorders for making an Oscar bait movie. The worm usually turns and there is a recovery, especially for male celebrities, unless they've done something really cancel-worthy (and even then they can still have huge online fanbases).

With Cruise, it could go either way. He has a long filmography and fans might remember how much they've liked him before, but all ongoing movie stardom ends eventually, one way or another. Plus, his religious ties aren't without controversy. Maybe 2024 is the year Suri speaks out or the deal with Shelly Miscavige is uncovered, setting off an avalanche of negativity that sticks. But he seems well liked in Hollywood, which goes a long way in surviving there.

I note that Cruise has been pretty quiet about his association with the CO$ recently.

In the last decade, the roof sort of fell in on the CO$.  Just too much nasty shit came out about them. I think the HBO documentary "Going Clear" (based on  a best selling book) was the tuuning point. A common reaction was "I knew the CO$ was pretty nutty, but I did not know just how downright evil the leadership" was. To be  ridiculed by "South park" was one thing to have most of your dirty laundry hung out in public is another. No wonder Tom Decided  to stop pushing the CO$ like he once did.

And ,yeah, I don't like the CO$ very much. Just read "Going Clear" to understand why. I usually don't knock other people's religions, but in the case of the CO$ I make an exception.

But the Internet mob is like any mob; they will turn on you in  a minute. The mob mentality is an ugly, dangerous thing.

Edited by dudalb

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

I think there might be a different reason why some don't like him

I always thought it was weird that they put ‘Part One’ in the title at all. I’m not saying that’s the big reason this underperformed, but I don’t think it helped either. There’s a reason Disney decided not to do that with Infinity War. Same goes for Sony with ATSV. 

38 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The marketing  are going to have a hard time trying to salvage part two. The only solution is to suggest it's gonna be the last Cruise MI movie

Nah, I’d say quite the opposite to be honest, this makes it easier for them. Let’s be honest, the main draw of these movies is Tom Cruise doing crazy shit and having fun doing it, throw in a passing reference to “we have to stop the Entity for good” in the trailer and people will be all caught up. Dropping “Part 2” is for the best and stops people who didn’t see DR from being put off thinking they have to catch up.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

If they had kept the budget down to 150 Million, they would have made a good profit on this.

Studios are going to have to stop spending so much on their movies End Of Story.

if only they had known a worldwide pandemic would hit whilst they were underway shooting.  You’d think they’d have had foresight!!

Or better still just not paid anybody for an unknown length of time whilst they waited for good news with the rest of the world. 

Not only did MI:DR turn out to be a great movie, but it was also the leading light as far as getting the industry going again when it was on its knees.  So this ‘if only they’d kept the budget down’ is just straight up talking like it was made in a parallel universe. 

You know full well why it ended up so expensive.  How easy we forget to push some bizarre narrative that it wasn’t a success.  It was a miracle they even finished it.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I watched this on streaming last week, it's been streaming here for the past couple of months on Prime. 

It is in the bottom half of the MI movies for me. The issue for me was that the "key" is just so badly defined. And most scenes are stretched out for no reason, especially the ending train sequence where we get the logical finale of the scene and then it still keeps going for another 10 minutes looking somewhat ridiculous. Hayley Atwell was a straight up swap for Rebecca Ferguson in the end which felt weird. And mainly the AI is just a bad villain and Morales isn't much better.

Probably rank it above 2 but below everything else. Not as meme friendly as 2 though. Pretty disappointed after loving the past movies.

22 hours ago, Maggie said:

The marketing  are going to have a hard time trying to salvage part two. The only solution is to suggest it's gonna be the last Cruise MI movie

I think that was the plan from day one, For no other reason then Cruuie's age factor.

I’m not concerned about the marketing for the second one, as long as they take the proper lessons from the marketing on this one.

That being the lack of a storytelling hook. It just relied on stunts, cinematography, and prior investment in the series, without adding any new clear hook. I just rewatched the trailers. The hook boils down to “big mysterious threat looms”. Big whoop.

Compare that to Ghost Protocol’s “Hunt and co get blamed for Moscow bombing”, Rogue Nation’s “Meet the evil counter-IMF” and Fallout’s “Bad guy from last time wants revenge with nukes” and also “Hunt gets babysitter”

It boggles me why the Dead Reckoning marketing didn’t at least establish the race for the keys, or perhaps highlight Grace as the fresh face. The Entity didn’t need to be kept a secret, since it’s introduced very early in the film.

But at the same time, the truth is Esrai Morales didn’t have the presence of Cavill or Harris, The Entity doesn’t sound as interesting as The Syndicate, Atwell wasn’t given much action to show off, and the keys were weakly written plot devices.

Next film’s marketing needs to be clear on the story, not play the JJ Abrams mystery box game.