Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

5 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Another trash article with an author that knows nothing about box office. Embarrassing.

Another post that can't accept their beloved Mission Impossible got torpedoed. 

What happened here needs to be taken on the chin and move on. The next one will do much better, but not top gun numbers. Not even close. Top Gun did well because of many reasons, which neither this has not the next will have have. Just enjoy the series and buy the whole disc set in 2025. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Another post that can't accept their beloved Mission Impossible got torpedoed. 

What happened here needs to be taken on the chin and move on. The next one will do much better, but not top gun numbers. Not even close. Top Gun did well because of many reasons, which neither this has not the next will have have. Just enjoy the series and buy the whole disc set in 2025. 

Hey maybe read the Owen Gleiberman editorial before you comment. We all acknowledge this movie took it on the chin .Gleiberman seems to think it was because they are action movies and not spy movies like that somehow hurt the previous movies. He does not even mention the bad scheduling which is the main culprit here. 

11 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

They should've written the script before the designing the stunts. 

I am sure they thought the sword vs. knife fight on bridge would be so popular, but it frankly felt ridiculous. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I love this continued narrative that the movie is not well liked and that's why it is not doing great. Maybe I would buy that if the metrics that track that were worse like a lower cinemascore or lower RT audience score or IMBD rating. 

I think it’s best just to ignore people pushing this narrative. We all know box office does not equal quality. Just look at Edge of Tomorrow, which found an audience after failing at the BO.

Also, this movie has top 5 metrics this summer. It’s performance is all about the release date. 

3 minutes ago, Squire said:

I think it’s best just to ignore people pushing this narrative. We all know box office does not equal quality. Just look at Edge of Tomorrow, which found an audience after failing at the BO.

Also, this movie has top 5 metrics this summer. It’s performance is all about the release date. 

Yep.I have no problem with people not liking it. What annoys me is the narrative that if I feel underwhelmed the majority must have felt the same way despite no metrics backing that up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squire said:

Edge of Tomorrow made money eventually, MI7 will lose up to 200m. I disagree that the release date is the major factor. People are just tired of the franchise, Paramount will hopefully be smart now and use this time to maybe end the franchise gracefully with MI8. I would consider firing McQ but we may get something worse like Justice League.

• Disbelief 1

The release date is by far the biggest factor. It didn't just destroy the legs, but even beforehand - MI7 was just totally overshadowed by Barbenheimer's pending release. It felt like a non event. 

I do think its noteworthy that despite the incredible WOM from MI 4-6, the series has never really grown. It hasn't shrunk either (until this film), but its kinda just status quo. This one is coming off of FALL OUT and then TGM last year felt like its best chance to break out opening weekend isn with $90-100m, but still nope. 

I think like some other long running series (Bond, F&F) this really benefits from a true name as the villain. Superman as the last villain was pretty genius. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The release date is by far the biggest factor. It didn't just destroy the legs, but even beforehand - MI7 was just totally overshadowed by Barbenheimer's pending release. It felt like a non event. 

I do think its noteworthy that despite the incredible WOM from MI 4-6, the series has never really grown. It hasn't shrunk either (until this film), but its kinda just status quo. This one is coming off of FALL OUT and then TGM last year felt like its best chance to break out opening weekend isn with $90-100m, but still nope. 

I think like some other long running series (Bond, F&F) this really benefits from a true name as the villain. Superman as the last villain was pretty genius. 

Yeah, I love the franchise, but it’s never reached the heights of the Fast movies or Bond. Fallout was the highest grossing and just made under $800 million. And Rogue Nation actually made less than Ghost Protocol. The recent movies have always done best when the WOM has had a chance to spread. 

50 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Edge of Tomorrow made money eventually, MI7 will lose up to 200m. I disagree that the release date is the major factor. People are just tired of the franchise, Paramount will hopefully be smart now and use this time to maybe end the franchise gracefully with MI8. I would consider firing McQ but we may get something worse like Justice League.

Are you f-ing serious. Just stop.It's getting embarrassing. In fact i don't why I responded because you are just trolling at this point. And it's so weird how Maggie has just vanished all of a sudden. 

13 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Are you f-ing serious. Just stop.It's getting embarrassing. In fact i don't why I responded because you are just trolling at this point. And it's so weird how Maggie has just vanished all of a sudden. 

i do find it weird too , but you won't find me posting about randoms on twiiter or the letter site , to fit some narrative

13 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i do find it weird too , but you won't find me posting about randoms on twiiter or the letter site , to fit some narrative

I will strike the last part. Can never prove that I may be right so why bother. I will go back to the firing of MCQ. That is insane and stupid and you know it. 

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I will strike the last part. Can never prove that I may be right so why bother. I will go back to the firing of MCQ. That is insane and stupid and you know it. 

it is insane, i agree, but we know Paramount is freaking out, sometimes studios overreact  , they must be having meetings how to "fix" MI8 , they have nothing else to do since they forced a shutdown in Hollywood

This is why I hate that people just take that "budget times 2" to make a profit bullshit.

Also, even if you use that, the budget is what, $290 mil? That's $580 mil WW for profit, it's gonna make $525 mil? That's hardly something to fire a director over especially after most of the film being finished. LOL 

• Like 1