IronJimbo

Alita: Battle Angel

27 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Man, fuck Latin America on this, they also failed Ready Player One, what's up with that? So relieved that the drop is actually solid internationally. Gitesh Pandya is still saying on Twitter that the film is aiming for the 500 M mark but that seems impossible? Anyway, 400 M + would be so good, yeah, might not break even, but I figure home video sales could take it there. 

yeah. os is 202 after 92.4 weekend. even if it adds 200 more os (impossible considering china's legs and it's contribution this weekend) it will get to 402 os. so final dom needs to be 98 for 500 ww even in that romantic os scenario.

202 current os + 155 more os* + 91 final dom (61 + 12*2.5x) = 448 ww looks tough to breach

*155 = 73 more china (~135 total) + 12 more japan (~15 total) + 70 more os-china-japan (27 weekend * 2.6x more)

Edited by a2k

1 hour ago, Omni said:

The Spring Break is a full month away, too much to hope in any boost. Should do 1.5B Yen, or 14M dollars.

Thank you. Is it good ?

Actually I'm happy with the numbers. I'm hoping for a $350M-500M$ total box office WW. I think it can be enough for a future trilogy. And the movie/manga will be more known by the public thanks to the Blu-ray/DVDs and downloads.

Edited by Keiji

2 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Seems really weird for Fox to underestimate China so much when it has possibly the best and most accurate live tracking out of any market. 

For studios, almost all markets are live tracked 😛

Besides, could be the case of Fox using comScore numbers for China (which are sometime iffy) or using their Sunday estimates rather than going with live numbers.

Another possibility is that they may be reporting the "without ticket booking charges" gross which is unlikely because they never done that before but again could be by mistake.

• Thanks 1

Val Morgan lists Alita as having made $7.3 million here in Australia, and seems to be updating more frequently than other sources. They're the largest cinema advertiser here I think, and have been around since forever, so I presume are reliable.

http://www.valmorgan.com.au/box-office-2/

edit: Oh, those might be local dollars, whereas others are reporting them in USD.

Edited by Cookiemonster
  • Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 11:44 PM, Godzilla said:

So where is this ending globally? $420M? 

This weekend breakdown is

24.0 China + 16.4 OS-China + 7.2 Dom = 47.6

I think it will be tough to add more than

25 China + 35 OS-China + 15 Dom = 75

That gives 350 + 75 = 425 WW.

Say, 415-435

• Like 2

On 2/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, cedec0 said:

I have to say I find all this talk about China and how it will save Alita to be a little funny .  Alita doesn't need China to break even.

Alita is going to have Avatar level of success in Japan ($150+ million).  This isn't a rosy projection, but an absolute certainty as far as I am concerned (I would take bets on it here if I could).  Not to mean or insulting, but anyone who thinks this is ridiculous probably didn't see Alita's success at US box office coming and doesn't really see what is driving Alita's success.

Alita's success corrolates pretty directly with the size of the anime community in any country.  It isn't surprising at all that Alita did really well in France for example (the biggest anime community in Europe).  As to why Anime community is fueling Alita's box office run, see this video as an example, Love Anime? You NEED to See Alita: Battle Angel

Point is, I have been an anime fan for over 30 years and I have never seen the Dragonball or ghost in the shell hollywood adaptation (and I never will).  I have seen Alita two times so far, and I am twisting the arms of everyone I know to go see the film.  This is what is going to happen in Japan, I guarantee it.  Hollywood anime adaptation have done poorly in Japan so far because they deserved to do poorly.  Alita will do well for the same reason.

Japan alone will be enough for enough for Alita to break even.  Anything that happens in China is profit (there is a pretty big anime community in China, so expect it to do well).

I admire the enthusiasm, but Japan is looking to finish around $10 million total (1/15 of your original prediction) after dropping almost 50% in its second weekend. Unfortunately, the curse of the live-action anime/manga adaptation continues in Japan. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KP1025 said:

I admire the enthusiasm, but Japan is looking to finish around $10 million total (1/15 of your original prediction) after dropping almost 50% in its second weekend. Unfortunately, the curse of the live-action anime/manga adaptation continues in Japan. 

That guys post was nuts. 

Japan is really not that fussed about anime outside of long running kids shows. 

$150m????

On 3/5/2019 at 5:18 AM, AJG said:

That guys post was nuts. 

Japan is really not that fussed about anime outside of long running kids shows. 

$150m????

Yeah lol, that was insanely optimistic prediction. I don't think there's any movie in Japan which we can say is locked to do $150m.  In fact, $100m can only be considered as a "lock" for Frozen 2 and Weathering with you.