sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

4 hours ago, Mulder said:

I think it's safe to call HTTYD3 the first big movie of the year, though I feel like if Glass' WoM was less mixed it would've been bigger then it ended up being.

Seems locked to be the first 150+ of the year, but not sure if I’d call that big anymore. If it legs past 200 (which is very possible) then I’d say unequivocally yes.   

Edit: A little more detail — in the past 6 year period 120 movies did 150+, exactly 20 per year. A dozen years earlier the 20th biggest movie of the year was generally 90-115Mish.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Brainbug said:

What is that? Cant be important whatsoever, right? Since when do economic fluctuations apply to box office?

Next youll tell me that Avatar only managed to gross nearly 3 Billion because of all-time great exchange rates which can never be duplicated which will result in Avatar 2 having to drop a significant amount?

I mean it's partly true. But OS expansion in Asia can make up the difference anyway.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I mean it's party true. But OS expansion in Asia can make up the difference anyway.

I know. Inflation can also balance some things out.

Truth is, Avatar 2's performance (especially worlwide) just has such a gigantic possible reach from beeing the first ever 1 Billion-total failure to 3 Billion and beyond. Before the film actually comes out, all these predictions are just that, predictions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I know. Inflation can also balance some things out.

Truth is, Avatar 2's performance (especially worlwide) just has such a gigantic possible reach from beeing the first ever 1 Billion-total failure to 3 Billion and beyond. Before the film actually comes out, all these predictions are just that, predictions.

:wintf:

• Like 1

Just now, a2k said:

2014  LEGO1 257.8  HTTYD2 177.0

2019  LEGO2 105+   HTTYD3 170+

tenor.gif

Well, 1 franchise had several spin-offs coming out before Part 2, which damaged the appetite for Lego 2 a bit, as well as the release window. 5 years for Part 2 for animated film is not wise at all.

• Like 1

I've heard some complaints about the villain in Dragon 3, and I'd just like to share a quick thought. It isn't really a spoiler (plot-wise at all) but I do mention a line that the villain says in the movie, as well as touch on some of the themes of the franchise, so I'll spoiler tag it. If you want to read but haven't seen the movie, I do not think it ruins anything, but the tag is there so you can make that choice yourself :) 

Spoiler

Sure, he is pretty basic "I want to kill dragons" guy, but one important line gave him so much more thematic presence to the franchise as a whole. When he told Hiccup about when he "slew his first Night Fury on the spot" it made me realize; Hiccup is battling the villain he could have become. Had he, that moment in the first film, decided to kill Toothless when he had him captured and tied up, this is the person he could have eventually become. So while I understand that the character itself is rather straightforward, I think it serves as a perfect illustration of Hiccup's growth as a character, as he eventually grew up and had to face off against the person he himself may have become. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Avatar only managed to gross nearly 3 Billion because of all-time great exchange rates which can never be duplicated 

This is, ahhhhh.... economicallly optimistic, shall we say.

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You would be the first one who would declare Avatar 2 a total failure if it "only" makes 1 Billion and you know it.

Huh, of course I would. That's because $2b is the floor

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think it's safe to call HTTYD3 the first big movie of the year, though I feel like if Glass' WoM was less mixed it would've been bigger then it ended up being.

I think reviews hurt Glass opening weekend and only okay word of mouth hurt its total. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Well, 1 franchise had several spin-offs coming out before Part 2, which damaged the appetite for Lego 2 a bit, as well as the release window. 5 years for Part 2 for animated film is not wise at all.

Yeah BatLego did 175.8 which should be close to HTTYD2 and 3. I kinda made a :Venom: post by hiding those details cause the direct sequels and release years align coincidentally.

Edited by a2k

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

This is, ahhhhh.... economicallly optimistic, shall we say.

A bit poorly worded by me. I mainly meant the exact situation that Avatar found itself in in late 2009/early 2010 which indeed had the best possible exchange rates an american movie could hope for. I mean, a country like Russia delivered 117M in dollars for Avatar, a number that is simply unachievable in that market today and very probably equally unachievable in December 2020 (if it comes out then. Im still not convinced lol).

• Like 1

I really hope Dragon can leg it out past the first movie domestically. Hopefully it gets something like a 35M second weekend, and can hold it to 18-20 against Cap Marvel. I know it seems like a tall order, but if it can hold off Marvel, it's basically got March to make its money before Dumbo arrives.

And no, I do not consider Wonder Park to be any sort of threat. 

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The goddamn trailer for that movie gave me a headache before my Dragon showing last weekend.

Perhaps you're allergic to volunteering. Maybe you should get some medication for that.

(yes, I'm going to bury this joke into the ground. Gotta start my funniest user campaign somehow)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The goddamn trailer for that movie gave me a headache before my Dragon showing last weekend.

That trailer has stalked me for every film I’ve seen in theaters barring Aquaman since November.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Perhaps you're allergic to volunteering. Maybe you should get some medication for that.

(yes, I'm going to bury this joke into the ground. Gotta start my funniest user campaign somehow)

Well i really didnt get the headache from the volunteering, but from the obnoxious voice acting and animation. Nothing was funny, nothing was coherent, it was just a mess of a trailer and looked like hot garbage.

Edited by Brainbug

It seems like year there has to be one awful animated feature trailer that is absolutely inescapable. Free Birds and Sherlock Gnomes immediately come to mind (though this movie doesn’t look like it’s going to be as legendarily bad as those two. Phooey.)

(And for those who are wondering why I didn’t mention The Emoji Movie, it’s because somehow I never saw that trailer in front of any movies I saw that year, so I was able to escape it.)

Edited by TServo2049