sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

55 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

While HTTYD is a great return for DWA, it does remain to be seen if Abominable, Trolls 2 and Croods 2 follow the same trend. I hope DWA is able to be consistent, 

All of those seem very risky to be successful to say the least. Trolls is hitting in that bad 4 year later range, where most of the audience of the first has probably grown out of it. And the first was marginally successful as it was, really don't get why they're making another. In fact, it's their lowest grosser they've ever made a sequel to. Are they really that incapable of appealing new ideas? Seems like a really stupid risk to take, unless they're just convinced they have some winning script on their hands or something. 

I'm really not sure why Abominable would hit if Smallfoot didn't. Seems cut from the same cloth, and I'm not sure why these studios think the yeti/bigfoot/abominable snowman thing is such an appealing idea for kids? 

Croods 2 will have to live or die by nostalgia since it will be 7 years later. Which begs the question: is there any nostalgia for the first? I think it's one of DWA's better films honestly, but I also don't believe it has obtained any modern classic status the way HTTYD1 has. Moreover, 7 years may not even be quite enough time for there to be real nostalgia. Again, seems like a really stupid risk.

The Boss Baby 2 is next, which will also be coming too late to capitalize on the first's audience, and by that point they will just seem like a sequel machine. So yeah, I say DWA would be wise to shore up with these HTTYD3 profits, because their immediate future afterwards really doesn't look bright to me. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, a2k said:

How the HTTYD franchise reduce prod budget with each movie?

HTTYD1 was 165 and the 2nd was 145.

KFP1 was 130, KFP2 was 150, KFP3 was 145.

Guessing tech got cheaper and they went with profit deals with actors.

Jay Baruchel probably worked for free for the last installment. He was just happy to finally get some work.

• Haha 2

How To Train Your Dragon (Mar. 2010): $43,732,319 opening; 4.98 opening to total multiplier; avg. yearly ticket price $7.89
How To Train Your Dragon 2 (Jun. 2014): $49,451,322 (+13.1% up from 2010); 3.58; $8.17 (+3.6% up from 2010)
How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Feb. 2019): $62,500,000 Deadline projection (+26.4% up from 2014); $9.11 (2018) (+11.5% up from 2014)

[IMG]

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Speaking of the ”Best Picture”-Oscar...it wouldn’t surprise me if Black Panther won. It’s about time that a blockbuster wins that Oscar, instead of yet another one of the lower grossing nominees.

LOL. 

Anyway, really happy with HTTYD3's performance so far. I loved the movie and it's one of my favorite trilogies of all time now. Hoping it has some outstanding legs from here.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Dragon 3 I think is benefitting from nostalgia in a way. Lots of people have fond memories of the first one and they kind of forgotten the second one exists 

With how long it has been between sequels, they might actually be nostalgic for 2.

20 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Haven't seen Dragon 3 but glad for DeBlois that it's going out on a high note commercially. He's probably Dreamworks' only hope for any kind of transcendent auteur-driven production.

Even though I love the Dragon movies, it's nice that he's got it out of the way now and can focus on an original project. 

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I predicted 45mil for Dragon. My Derby is screwed but I'm happy to see a little life return to the box office.

Shiiiit I just checked and I did $58.24M... The first derby I chose to do this year, and wow! However Lego and Alita have fucked me

• Like 1

Went to the first showing of HTTYD3 hoping to avoid a crowd, but nope! Theater was packed from back 2 front, and had so many kids. Thankfully, they were all well behaved, and the movie was satisfying! The perfect ending to the HTTYD trilogy, and the audience gave it a big applause at the end!

tenor.gif?itemid=11989226

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Went to the first showing of HTTYD3 hoping to avoid a crowd, but nope! Theater was packed from back 2 front, and had so many kids. Thankfully, they were all well behaved, and the movie was satisfying! The perfect ending to the HTTYD trilogy, and the audience gave it a big applause at the end!

tenor.gif?itemid=11989226

These toothless faces need to be emojis on here.

• Like 2