sfran43

Weekend Thread | An Asgardian pops in on p.9 ~ HTTYD3 17m, A:BA 3.1m, IIR 2.2m

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Really happy for HTTYD3 overperformance, is such a great movie, and finally a recovery for Box office. I hope Dumbo follows the trend.

And CM is coming to smash, the next weeks are gonna be amazing.

Agreed. Unlike last March, this years March looks very promising. Captain Marvel is a potential 400M grosser and i personally think Us can reach 200M. Dumbo also looks like a safe bet for 150-200M if its received well by audiences. Add to that Dragon 3's late legs and i think well see a 1 Billion-Month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, a2k said:

How the HTTYD franchise reduce prod budget with each movie?

HTTYD1 was 165 and the 2nd was 145.

KFP1 was 130, KFP2 was 150, KFP3 was 145.

Guessing tech got cheaper and they went with profit deals with actors.

DWA started outsourcing animation which has brought down the cost. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alli said:

wasn't last weekend a holiday? it may explain the harsh drop for alita

actually the full day thursday release separate from ow should help temper the drop by reducing front-loading from fans who would watch on day 1.

also friday number was sans any previews because of the thursday release. 

both those things deflated the ow more than the good sunday hold (-21% thanks to PD monday) could inflate it.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed for a strong Sat bump for Alitaaaaaaa. For the Rodriguez fanboys, heh, I really like Robert but I don't think there could be a Rodriguez fanboy rush, he doesn't have a big enough following for that. James probably. Although, I wonder how much bigger the film would be if Jim had directed it. Granted, I don't wanna think about that because Robert made an excellent film, on his own terms and obviously, as much as he made it as if he was making a Jim Cameron film, Jim would have probably made a very different film even with the same script and I guess it would have been huge. 

We just need a sequel, please movie gods, grace us with an Alita sequel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

actually the full day thursday release separate from ow should help temper the drop by reducing front-loading from fans who would watch on day 1.

also friday number was sans any previews because of the thursday release. 

both those things deflated the ow more than the good sunday hold (-21% thanks to PD monday) could inflate it.

Yes, but it couldn't over come the poor mid-week holds enough to take advantage. The type of film Alita is wasn't going to jump 150%+ on Friday so it needed a higher starting point.

That being said, Friday increases across the board were weak sauce.

Edited by narniadis
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Well clearly I think it is a shame, hence why I posted it. 🙄

Or did you just feel like pretending your individual opinion on the film is fact? 

Plus why did you pay to go and see a film that you didn’t want or ask for? 🤔 I smell bullshit. 

where did I say my opinion is fact? of course my opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. But I do think its a sequel no one wanted.

And I watch pretty much every film that I can, regardless of whether i have any interest in it. Doesn't cost me anything other than my time.

Edited by Avatree
  • Disbelief 1

I'm really happy that Alita even managed to have a Friday above $3M. The personal goal I'm setting for Alita to reach this weekend is a $60M domestic total; if this Friday estimate sticks, Alita would need $8.2M from Saturday and Sunday to reach that amount. I want Alita to succeed and I want it to have a sequel.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

While HTTYD is a great return for DWA, it does remain to be seen if Abominable, Trolls 2 and Croods 2 follow the same trend. I hope DWA is able to be consistent, 

I think for WAG, following what SPA did using familiar IP might be the best for them for the time being although I imagine given how well Dragon did, they’ll likely green light The Ice Dragon.