MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

Just now, excel1 said:

lol no way they kill aqua's baby be serious 

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Even the television version of The Walking Dead wasn’t willing to kill off a baby. It would also be really bizarre to have a bunch of jokey “bromance” banter between Aquaman and Orm after his son gets horribly murdered. 

11 minutes ago, excel1 said:

lol no way they kill aqua's baby be serious 

Funny enough, the plot is directly pulled from the comics...and like Uncle Ben, Aquaman's baby (well little kid in the comics) is one of the few characters who has stayed dead dead and not just dead.

But, I agree.  A Christmas release - no way the baby dies in this movie.  So, I figure they steal the whole plot line from the comics, but change the ending, ala Disney animated Grimm fairy tales...

49 minutes ago, HummingLemon said:

Now, I am just wondering. What's your reasoning for Aquaman only doing $375M WW? It still has the December release date with two weeks of holidays and minimal competition, so even if it opens low because the DCEU brand is in hell, it could leg out to like $700-800M. It still seems to have the "dumb fun underwater spectacle" that made the first movie so popular.

It's probably going to open $180M+ WW. With a super strong multi that only gets it to the low $600Ms

2 hours ago, HummingLemon said:

Now, I am just wondering. What's your reasoning for Aquaman only doing $375M WW? It still has the December release date with two weeks of holidays and minimal competition, so even if it opens low because the DCEU brand is in hell, it could leg out to like $700-800M. It still seems to have the "dumb fun underwater spectacle" that made the first movie so popular.

The trailer for this had literally zero new appeal that would bring people who weren’t already on board for this. It looks like an extremely normal DCEU movie (and not really a good one) which I don’t think is bringing people on board anymore. Like even the first Aquaman came out after every previous DCEU movie went over $600M WW. People still cared about the brand in 2018 and the striking underwater action was seen as new and exciting in 2018. Now in 2023, the DCEU is coming off 7 straight audience and financial flops that ripped apart the core audience for this franchise and broke the floor lower than any DCEU movie could’ve done in 2018. The underwater action doesn’t have that kind of new appeal anymore now that it’s been done multiple times (and sometimes better) in other movies (re: Avatar 2, Wakanda Forever, The Little Mermaid). I feel like the people who would’ve been into this in 2018 just won’t be anymore because the DCEU has broken all audience trust and this isn’t moving the needle. ‘Dumb fun’ just won’t cut it anymore given how the last 4 DCEU movies all tried that exact strategy to brutally diminishing returns. And also, it’s gonna tank like 75% in China at least. And finally to boot, the buzz is awful with insiders calling it one of the worst superhero movies ever. And yes I know this didn’t pan out with the Flash, but test screenings often bring in fanboys and people who are excited to watch a new movie before everyone else. If a movie is testing poorly here, then that’s a very bad sign and in my opinion, this is a very bad sign for Aquaman. The trailer also just does not abate my concerns that the movie is in fact, really bad. $375M feels like the natural extent the DCEU brand can pull a movie at this point without some “knock your socks off X factor” to bring people back in and I do not think Aquaman has that anymore.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Relevation said:

The trailer for this had literally zero new appeal that would bring people who weren’t already on board for this. It looks like an extremely normal DCEU movie (and not really a good one) which I don’t think is bringing people on board anymore. Like even the first Aquaman came out after every previous DCEU movie went over $600M WW. People still cared about the brand in 2018 and the striking underwater action was seen as new and exciting in 2018. Now in 2023, the DCEU is coming off 7 straight audience and financial flops that ripped apart the core audience for this franchise and broke the floor lower than any DCEU movie could’ve done in 2018. The underwater action doesn’t have that kind of new appeal anymore now that it’s been done multiple times (and sometimes better) in other movies (re: Avatar 2, Wakanda Forever, The Little Mermaid). I feel like the people who would’ve been into this in 2018 just won’t be anymore because the DCEU has broken all audience trust and this isn’t moving the needle. ‘Dumb fun’ just won’t cut it anymore given how the last 4 DCEU movies all tried that exact strategy to brutally diminishing returns. And also, it’s gonna tank like 75% in China at least. And finally to boot, the buzz is awful with insiders calling it one of the worst superhero movies ever. And yes I know this didn’t pan out with the Flash, but test screenings often bring in fanboys and people who are excited to watch a new movie before everyone else. If a movie is testing poorly here, then that’s a very bad sign and in my opinion, this is a very bad sign for Aquaman. The trailer also just does not abate my concerns that the movie is in fact, really bad. $375M feels like the natural extent the DCEU brand can pull a movie at this point without some “knock your socks off X factor” to bring people back in and I do not think Aquaman has that anymore.

I have literally zero questions

Thanks for the explanation 

1 hour ago, HummingLemon said:

If Mr. Relevation's prediction of $375M WW (which probably won't to be honest I'm more like $700-800M) comes true

Then

Spider-Verse 2 DOM > Aquaman 2 Worldwide

Lel what's with 350-375M WW predictions for this and The Marvels? They are going to drop from 1.1B both but not this much like c'mon!

• Like 1