charlie Jatinder

Which was the biggest movie event (worldwide) of the decade 2010s.

Which was the biggest movie event of the decade 2010s.  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the biggest movie event of the decade 2010s.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    • Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame
    • Any Other

Force Awakens for sure.  Absolutely unparalleled level of hype leading up to release.  Then it broke the OW record by 40M and became the highest grossing film domestically by 175M.  Don't think that kind of performance will be matched for a long, long time.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Force Awakens for sure.  Absolutely unparalleled level of hype leading up to release.  Then it broke the OW record by 40M and became the highest grossing film domestically by 175M.  Don't think that kind of performance will be matched for a long, long time.

I am interested in a worldwide event, not limited to just one country.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Its not that clear. Allow for Exchange rates, Infinity War was par Titanic.

Yeah, I use the Venom emoji pretty much exclusively for statements I'm not serious about.     

Nothing is clear for another 2 months. It's very close for me between TFA and IW, so hoping Endgame will be a total monster and save me the trouble of deciding :) 

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

If we're being pedantic, Avatar made a bulk of it's cash money in 2010. If BOM and my reading comprehension skills are to be believed, it made just under 600m WW in December, leaving another ~2.2 billies for the 2010's.

If this is too much of an asshole answer, TFA/IW split the prize for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

If we're being pedantic, Avatar made a bulk of it's cash money in 2010. If BOM and my reading comprehension skills are to be believed, it made just under 600m WW in December, leaving another ~2.2 billies for the 2010's.

If we count Avatar in 2000s, the biggest of each decade is very pleasing:  

90s — Titanic, 2B+

00s — Avatar, 2B+  

10s — TFA/IW/AEG, 2B+    

If you take Avatar for the 10s then your 00s pick has to be... RotK? Hmm, maybe not such a bad idea after all 🤔   

Spoiler

Or you could pursue the patented Jimbo method:

90s Titanic  

00s Avatar because it was releases in 00s  

10s Avatar because it made the bulk of its money in the 10s

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, aabattery said:

If it was about gross numbers, I would have simply looked for gross.

Harry Potter 8 is less than F7 or Jurassic World in term of gross but as an event much much bigger.

By event, I mean accounting for hype, pre-release buzz, then of-course numbers as well. Don't think Avatar had the former par the others.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

If we count Avatar in 2000s, the biggest of each decade is very pleasing:  

90s — Titanic, 2B+

00s — Avatar, 2B+  

10s — TFA/IW/AEG, 2B+    

If you take Avatar for the 10s then your 00s pick has to be... RotK? Hmm, maybe not such a bad idea after all 🤔   

Hide contents

Or you could pursue the patented Jimbo method:

90s Titanic  

00s Avatar because it was releases in 00s  

10s Avatar because it made the bulk of its money in the 10s

If Avatar is the 10s event, I think that Harry Potter 1 would be the biggest event of 00s. Even FOTR is on par or slightly over in terms of admissions than ROTK in many countries. But ERs in 2001 were the worst ever.

Said this, if I have to choose:

90s (and ever): Titanic

00s: Avatar

10s: TFA (DOM+Europe) / IW (Asia+Latin America)

We'll see if Endgame or The Lion King can change it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

By event, I mean accounting for hype, pre-release buzz, then of-course numbers as well. Don't think Avatar had the former par the others.

I think peak buzz for Avatar can more than match the others. Might not have had the hype pre-release like the others, but for that brief slice of time the Avatar pandemonium was pretty nuts, at least from my perspective.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

What about movies that became a phenomenon that was outsized compared to their hype and pre-release buzz?

Because as huge as IW is and Endgame will be, they've also had the benefit of 10 years of marketing to boost them. They're huge, but they're known huges. HP8 had the same thing. It was a series with exceptionally strong overseas grosses, and while it did step it up to another level, it was built on what came before.

TFA was strong WW, but it wasn't huge like it did DOM, so I think that cuts it out.

I think there are three or four contenders.

1. The Avengers. It had a few films to build it up, but the international gross for the MCU was not exceptionally strong. Iron Man 2 had the biggest OS gross and that was only 311m. (Thor came in second.) If the MCU was anything like a normal franchise, we'd probably have expected, what 400m DOM and 500m OS? But instead, it was an absolute monster worldwide, basically taking everyone by surprise. It's arguably the film that actually made superheroes a thing that could be sold overseas.

2. Jurassic World. No, don't laugh. While JP1 was a monster in its day (probably the #2 WW phenomenon of the 90s), the sequels were... not, and 20 years down the line there was no reason to think that we'd be in for anything other than a pretty good result. But instead, we had a huge surprise. After AOU failed to get the OW record, and only bested Avengers OS because of huge growth in China), few people expected JW to even think of being in the same realm. It ended up shy of Furious 7 OS, but because of the difference in (again) China. It was a surprise that well outsized expectations.

3. Furious 7. While the series was on a rise, starting with the reunion 4th film, it more than doubled the OS gross of FF6. A good portion of that was because of the explosion of China business, but not all. And unlike all previous films from Hollywood that benefited from huge Chinese business, this was one that didn't do anything to specifically appeal to Chinese audiences. (Unlike, say, TF4.) And it did even better.

4. Frozen. While this is marginally smaller than the others, it, again, did WW business that well exceeded its expectations in pretty much every territory. And the cultural effect of it is hard to dismiss. None of the other films have a billion view YouTube video. And it's also a merchandising juggernaut that few films can claim. Frozen is so big, that Disney didn't even put Anna and Elsa into their Princess line. It's too valuable, so it's separate. It did business in soundtracks and video like it was released a decade or two earlier, and did business in Japan like it was a Miyazaki film. And it was also a film that pushed WDAS to the forefront of the industry again, rather than the weaker, older cousin of Pixar (and probably behind Illumination, too, considering how big the Despicable Me films were in the early parts of the decade.)  And we're probably not going to see Frozen 2 be the #1 movie of the year either DOM, OS, or WW... but, it's not out of the question. Six years on, and we're still seeing how powerful it is.

So, of the ones you listed, Avengers. But I could see the other three having really strong arguments as well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Furious 7 might be worth a shout, for its worldwide appeal it's certainly up there. 

Being enormous, I think it is a step behind TFA and IW. And not just because it did $500m than the these 2, but because beyond China and 2 or 3 LA countries, it was not a record breaker in any other country. If you take out China, then Minions, for example, would be in the same level, being more massive in more countries.

Of course, it is just my personal feeling.

• Like 2

I would say IW but probably end. I took this question as who had the most record shattering openings and IW beated SW7 by most record set at OW ww so yeah I ll go with EG because it will probably open even higher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsaRoc said:

TFA was strong WW, but it wasn't huge like it did DOM, so I think that cuts it out.

That's a bit misleading though, isn't it?

China throws a big wrench into such a comparison.

TFA joined Titanic and Avatar as the only movies to top 1b internationally without China. Nothing came close to that mark until Infinity War hit 1b as well. The closest movie would be the last Harry Potter, which stands at right about 900m. Only Frozen at about 825m and The Avengers at about 810m even managed to cross 800m internationally minus China.

The emergence of China has a second massiv market next to the domestic one has made quite a few big worldwide hits look bigger internationally than they actually were in most of the world. At this stage it probably makes more sense to split the worldwide intake into three categories: domestic, China, and the remaining international markets. Else you run into a situation where you judge the entire international behaviour just on one market. E.g. The Fate of the Furious looks much bigger than The Last Jedi internationally (1.01b to 712m, it's not really close), suggesting that it was just so much bigger everywhere outside the domestic market. But if you remove China, TLJ was actually bigger in the rest of the world, 670m to 617m or so. China is just too massive a market to properly use the international intake as a whole in a comparison for the general behaviour in the international markets. A large intake in China can make a movie look much bigger internationally, just like a small one can make a movie look smaller compared to one that is pretty similar basically all over the world. That's only fair when judging the worldwide intake, but it can be misleading when one tries to judge the "average" international performance of a movie.

• Like 3