charlie Jatinder

Which was the biggest movie event (worldwide) of the decade 2010s.

Which was the biggest movie event of the decade 2010s.  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the biggest movie event of the decade 2010s.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    • Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame
    • Any Other

This is tricky. TFA might be the event of the decade in North America and Europe, but I live in South East Asia and Star Wars is faaar from an event. Meanwhile, Infinity War was huge almost everywhere in the world. And since I think Endgame will be even bigger, I chose Endgame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I mean, it's hard not to say Avatar because it came out in mid-late December 2009 and made most of its money in 2010 :P

But in all seriousness, I feel like this is a discussion we should have only by the end of 2019/beginning of 2020. We don't know what Endgame will do, we don't know what The Lion King will do, we don't know what Frozen II will do, what Episode IX will do..... hell, what if Detective Pikachu laughs in the faces of all joke predictions and actually becomes the new Jurassic World? There's a lot of elements at play here and maybe something comes out that outshines everything else that has come before.

That being said, as of right now, it comes down to two: The Force Awakens and Infinity War. These are two (at least) 10 year in the making behemoths that broke records upon records upon records. However, I'll give TFA the edge, because it might've been the single most anticipated film in movie history, because of the impact it had in the North American box office where it broke the DOM and WW OW records in Christmas of all seasons (still holds the record adjusted for inflation and probably would have smashed 300M or close if it had come out in the Summer) and shot all the way to nearly 1B DOM, and the simple fact that, as of right now, it remains the highest grossing film of the 2010's WW as well (beating out IW by about 10-20M). Although IW had more cultural impact than TFA, the amount of records it broke (including the DOM, China and WW OW records) were also impressive, the single most awe-inspiring OS performance since Avatar, and amazing legs for the kind of movie that it is.... it didn't benefit from the Holidays like TFA, should have been a frontloaded team up movie with a downer ending that would normally give it bad legs, and had tough competition, so while TFA pulling the opening it did in its conditions was insane, IW having the legs it did in its conditions was insane too.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

hell, what if Detective Pikachu laughs in the faces of all joke predictions and actually becomes the new Jurassic World

It... still wouldn’t be in contention? Absolutely agree that it’s hard to answer an event of the decade question when there’s 9 years left in the decade and they contain a contender or two.

I think if you take IW you have to see it as a TWO part event as IW and EG.

If End Game also makes 2 billion like IW, then no doubt the 2 part conclusion of the MCU infinity War Saga was the biggest global film event of the decade. 

as a singular film, think SW7 was.

Edited by Lordmandeep

19 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I am interested in a worldwide event, not limited to just one country.

But those two countries (US/Canada) are part of the world wide conversation.  If you want to exclude the domestic market, then say that,.  But if you are asking on a world wide scale, TFA is the biggest story of the 2010's.  IW part 2 might beat it, but right now, TFA is the biggest story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, baumer said:

But those two countries (US/Canada) are part of the world wide conversation. If you want to exclude the domestic market, then say that,. But if you are asking on a world wide scale, TFA is the biggest story of the 2010's. IW part 2 might beat it, but right now, TFA is the biggest story.

I think Charlie is saying not to weight DOM higher than any other territories for the purposes of this thread, not to weight then at 0.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

But those two countries (US/Canada) are part of the world wide conversation.  If you want to exclude the domestic market, then say that,.  But if you are asking on a world wide scale, TFA is the biggest story of the 2010's.  IW part 2 might beat it, but right now, TFA is the biggest story.

Naah, I am not excluding.

That answer was just for USA/Canada, excluding rest, that's why I said, not just one country but all.

Didn't base my vote on box office but cultural significance. Avengers success' paved the way for Hollywood's universe-crazy trend, not to mention everything Marvel has accomplished since then. And it's held up much better as a movie than Force Awakens. I'm not so sure this new Star Wars trilogy will be remembered that fondly. Better than the prequel trilogy, but that's not saying much. 

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

North america, I think Awaken had a good edge above everything else, in how long (before and after release), how big the conversation and the media size was, the amount of product placement got ridiculous.

Outside going by box office it is really hard to judge the event nature outside your market.

Movie annual box office share:

Year Title WW box office Movie BO Share
2009 Avatar 29.4 2.7772 9.45%
2010 Toy Story 3 31.6 1.067 3.38%
2011 Potter 32.6 1.3415 4.12%
2012 Avengers 34.7 1.5188 4.38%
2013 Frozen 35.9 1.2765 3.56%
2014 Transformer 36.4 1.1041 3.03%
2015 Force Awaken 38.4 2.0682 5.39%
2016 Civil War 38.8 1.1533 2.97%
2017 Last Jedi 40.6 1.3325 3.28%
2018 Infinity War 41.7 2.0484 4.91%

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Didn't base my vote on box office but cultural significance. Avengers success' paved the way for Hollywood's universe-crazy trend, not to mention everything Marvel has accomplished since then. And it's held up much better as a movie than Force Awakens. I'm not so sure this new Star Wars trilogy will be remembered that fondly. Better than the prequel trilogy, but that's not saying much. 

Yeah, between the cinematic universe trend and the superhero genre explosion, seems that TA had the biggest impact on this decade of Hollywood.