TMP

The Tragedy of Macbeth | A24 | December 25 2021 (limited), January 14 2022 (Apple TV+) | Joel Coen | Denzel Washington, Frances McDormand

On 9/22/2021 at 4:12 AM, tonytr87 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's kinda weird that Denzel is playing a Scottish king in the 11th century? I know the story has some fantasy in it (with the witches and whatnot), but overall it's more so a piece of historical fiction than fantasy, 

Shakespeare is basically its own genre at this point, and there's a long history of people of various races and genders playing various characters in Shakespeare plays

2 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Shakespeare is basically its own genre at this point, and there's a long history of people of various races and genders playing various characters in Shakespeare plays

That's what I figured. And tonally this looks quite surreal and expressionistic, not like the 2015 film which was clearly going for "historical." 

Now I'm just curious if he'll attempt the accent. 

I see that Coen is being very cautious about the writing credit for this film.

You don't want to be seen as trying to upstage or take credit for Shakespeare. You just don't.

I am more interested in Frances McDormand as Lady Macbeth then Denzil, though.

I've seen this yesterday and wow, the visuals are outstanding. Probably the most visually pleasing film, I've seen since 2019's Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Great performances from Washington and McDormand, too. The highlight is Kathryn Hunter as the three Weird Sisters. Very creepy, too. Goes for a 30s horror movie vibe, but obviously through a Coen lens. The Coen influence can be felt, although a bit less than usual, because the dialogue is mostly true to the original (as far as I read). I have to confess that I didn't understand lots of the lines, cause I'm not a native speaker and 1600s English is hard for me. It also dragged a little in the first third, but overall, I enjoyed this film a lot.

8/10

On 9/21/2021 at 9:12 PM, tonytr87 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's kinda weird that Denzel is playing a Scottish king in the 11th century? I know the story has some fantasy in it (with the witches and whatnot), but overall it's more so a piece of historical fiction than fantasy, 

I think Shakespearean tragedy is an essential part of human condition and transcends ethnic and cultural differences.