Eric Prime

Megalopolis l September 27, 2024 | Lionsgate | Francis Ford Coppola's future magnum opus l CINEMA HAS BEEN SAVED

Geez, this is embarrassing.  Only, 1500 theaters and he has to pay for marketing.

I thought the deal would be similar to Neon's deal for Ferrari.

Neon paid $15–17 million for the United States distribution rights in a bidding war that also included A24, an unspecified streaming service and an unspecified film studio later scheduling for the film for a wide theatrical release in the United States on December 25, 2023.[8][39] Neon also spent around $7 million to market the film in the United States

Some points: 

- Lionsgate has declined spending money for a marketing campaign

- Coppola will put up $15M -$20M of his own money to fund a marketing campaign

- There will be a live actor in the movie theater to ask Adam Driver’s character questions (a narrative part of the film) when possible

- Lionsgate is in this for adding this movie to their legacy roster of Coppola releases

- Coppola is not in this for the money and wants the message of this movie to live on long after he is gone which is why he’s pushing so hard for it

13 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, Ferrari was a flop

The distribution deal was normal and the head of Neon claimed they came out ahead.  Lionsgate making Coppola pay for marketing is nuts.

Tom Quinn claims they came out ahead on Ferrari after spending $15M to acquire (implicitly) US rights + another $7M on P&A citing Blackhat as a comp they knew going in.

In general, they claim to expect ~30% of a film's first 2 year revenue comes from theatrical rentals(with close to but below 40% of revenue coming from Home Entertainment). So ~9M / . 3 = ~30M.

This come from "The Town" podcast interview with Neon's founder and CEO Tom Quinn.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, justnumbers said:

Some points: 

- Lionsgate has declined spending money for a marketing campaign

- Coppola will put up $15M -$20M of his own money to fund a marketing campaign

- There will be a live actor in the movie theater to ask Adam Driver’s character questions (a narrative part of the film) when possible

- Lionsgate is in this for adding this movie to their legacy roster of Coppola releases

- Coppola is not in this for the money and wants the message of this movie to live on long after he is gone which is why he’s pushing so hard for it

This. I don';t know what my final opinion of the film will be since I am not a big fan of most of Coppola's efforts in this century, but I certainly want to see this.

And anybody with his record deserves to be treated with more respect then he had been shown by many in this forum who seem have major problems with

A. Coppola's age and

B. He is not making a "Nerd, Geek" film. 

1 hour ago, Eric is Anxious said:

Which Coppola could pay out of petty cash and not miss it.

Coppola did this because a couple of years ago he tokk a look on his finiances, found out he was worth Half A Billlion dollars ....and that was not including trust funds he had set up for his grand kids.

He though, both my Kids are rich in their own right (Sofia is worth 40 Million Dollars) so why not make this film I have wanted to make for a long time. Even if I spend 200 Million and blow every penny (though the final film did not cost nearly that much) I will still be very rich man. 15 to 20 is pennies to him.

Funny thing is most of his money comes from his wine company, not his movies.

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

The filmmaker kept leaping up to hug and kiss several women, often inadvertently inserting himself into the shot and ruining it, which the source said was unusual.

Oh that's bad.

Coppola is one of my favorite filmmakers, but if the footage of him and the extras is as bad as it seems to me, I have no sympathy for him. He will go down in my book with Polanski..undeniably a great director, but also a really creepy and obnnoxious human being.

ANother example of someone who is a great artist but in many ways a rotten person. Nothing new. Richard Wagner was one of the greatest composers who every lived, but a truly disgusitng human being.

Jokes about how Coppola has become Jack Woltz in 'The GOdfather" on their way..particular if you remeber the Woltz scenes that were not in the original film, but were in "The GOdfather Saga" and the deleted scenes on the GOdfather trilogy box set, where Woltz is shown pretty much screwing a 16 year old starlet (which is in the novel, btw).

This is pretty gross. For some reason it does not surprise me with Coppola though. He's always seemed like he could be that type.  I always continue to live in fear that stories about Spielberg like this come out one day.  I mean you do hear behind the scenes stories that he is much more ruthless and cut throat than the now  public grandfatherly persona he projects but at least no stories about him being a complete pervy old man.  Oh well it's not like I am going to throw out my Godfather DVDS and stop watching them. It gets to the point where one would have to stop watching or throw out 90% of their Blu ray collections if based on how disgusting so many Hollywood people are.

I’m avoiding to talk about this because honestly is all very unclear and it’s probably better to simply not say anything.

But now the actress in the video just came out apparently very mad saying there wasn’t anything wrong for her in the set and that she’s pissed that she’s being framed like this. Claimed Coppola didn’t do anything that made her uncomfortable.

I doubt the opinion of the actual person involved will gain the same traction of the accusation tho.

I would probably be more inclined and mad with the whole story if the accusations didn’t always came from specific trades. Not a single person on that set publically appeared and said anything, is always just vague reports in trades. This is the first actual person directly involved in the whole thing to came out and talk about it, and is a deny of the whole thing.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4