cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

27 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Not sure about all PLFs. I'm guessing WB will keep IMAX for a while.

Did Parbellum get IMAX or was it still Endgame? Either way, I think Wick's now big enough that Lionsgate can push for IMAX for the fourth movie, especially since Shazam's likely not gonna be this imposing 100M+ OW juggernaut. Either way, even six days of IMAX/PLFs is still great for any movie and way better than no IMAX/PLFs or very, very limited with Avatar scooping up all the good shows.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

DCEU was never a "formal" thing within Warner Bros. -- they admitted it was a fan-generated concept.  *Now* under Gunn/Safran, they are formally mentioning "DCU," yes.  

It was a joke name that a journalist came up with, and fans assumed it was official. The name simply stuck because for some reason, WB didn’t bother giving the franchise a name for the longest time. 

20 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Yeah, but would you have released it against Avatar?

I actually think it would have helped it quite a bit. Look at the example of Jumanji vs Star Wars Last Jedi.. Jumanji became the alternative film next to do the big event movie and in turn cranked out over 404M DOM/ 962M WW 

Edited by VENOM

42 minutes ago, VENOM said:

I actually think it would have helped it quite a bit. Look at the example of Jumanji vs Star Wars Last Jedi.. Jumanji became the alternative film next to do the big event movie and in turn cranked out over 404M DOM/ 962M WW 

Yeah, but that was a large part due to the negative reception of Last Jedi.

22 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Yeah, but that was a large part due to the negative reception of Last Jedi.

And/or a lot of people liked Jumanji. I think if Shazam feels it could be a good fun light hearted alternative to a 3 hour serious movie like avatar I thinks it’s worth a shot with the amount of people who will be at theatres anyway.

The problem is less Avatar as a film and more Avatar taking up all the PLFs. Even compared to 5 years ago, IMAX and Dolby and 4DX are a huge part of a film's box office share now and most people won't even see a movie, especially big-budget actioners like Shazam, unless it's in the biggest, loudest screen possible. That's a huge problem because theaters only have one of those types of premium screens and Disney/Cameron have way more bargaining power to retain all those screens and/or give Avatar the best showtimes. This hurt Bumblebee to an extent in 2018, and while Matrix Resurrections obviously had a lot of other problems that hurt its box office, that also was an issue since Spider-Man took up everything even a week later. That's why this year the other big December movies, like Puss in Boots and I Wanna Dance and Babylon, are in genres/target audiences that don't typically shell out for the big PLF bucks.

Shazam going to March is for the best since it'll be guaranteed PLFs that DC fans will prioritize first thing on.

• Like 3