charlie Jatinder

Tuesday (5/28) Numbers

11 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

3000 theater expansion, lol, will never happen, and no domestic record to break

Not 3000 theater expansion. It will probably be around 1000 theaters and they will expand close to 3K. I think Disney will make a play for Avatar record.

Edit: on second thought it will be only in few hundred theaters at most. So even with expansion it wont go above 1500. I think Labor weekend makes the best sense as it wont hold on to the theaters for more than 2 weeks.

Edited by keysersoze123

36 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Problem for end game is screens. it will start to shed them very fast starting this weekend. This weekend at an average it will have 1 small screen and its out of Top 5. Next week with 2 more releases it will be around 3K screens. I dont know if TS4 will help Endgame or will there be TS4/Aladdin listings at drive-ins.

I am sure Disney will re-expand endgame but that will happen only in August once Summer releases wind down. Thankfully there are no major releases in August. I dont see Hobbs and Shaw grossing more than 150m domestic. There I can see Disney expanding Endgame back to 3K+ theaters and may be even get back iMax engagements?

For now its trending towards 850m finish domestic.

I don’t see Endgame been threat for a lack of screens this weekend or the next. It will still be above Infinity War in the same period of time next weekend, so around 3600 movie theaters. After that with Dark Phoenix, I think that keeping over Endgame is also completely feasible, maybe even more than 3000 theaters. I truly would like to see some theater insider opinion like @Deep Wang chiming in about this.

• Like 1

Based on update from the guy in twitter posting comscore data(I believe 143cinema), Disney had done 6 week deal with Major Plexes. So theater count will remain good this week as well. I checked in all major cities in fandango and its keeping 1 screen in most, some large plexes have 1.5/2 screens as well. But next week its beyond 6 weeks and that is when it will shed theaters. its PTA is not that good for it to hold so many screens. This week its playing in 2 screens in most major Plexes.

15 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

By that logic Aladdin would be a failure as well. RT score doesn't mean a thing about box office.

It was a joke. My point is that it’s easier to see films like this as a threat when we don’t know how the buzz will shape up for it. I know that Godzilla has some hardcore fans, but this unlike Aladdin is a tough sell to the mainstream audience. The score actually matters for this one, imho.

49 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Based on update from the guy in twitter posting comscore data(I believe 143cinema), Disney had done 6 week deal with Major Plexes. So theater count will remain good this week as well. I checked in all major cities in fandango and its keeping 1 screen in most, some large plexes have 1.5/2 screens as well. But next week its beyond 6 weeks and that is when it will shed theaters. its PTA is not that good for it to hold so many screens. This week its playing in 2 screens in most major Plexes.

Next week is freaking Dark Phoenix, isn’t it? Then Toy Story 4. Relax, Endgame will be fine. You don’t become a film this size without movie chains actually keeping them on theaters, especially since there isn’t that much of an actual competition going for it right now. Once it does, Endgame will be so further down the road that it won’t really matter. I wouldn’t be surprised with rexpansions happening in mid June either. Regardless how much other releases are coming, Endgame is about to become the highest grossing film of all time. People thinking this doesn’t generates hype don’t really remember what Avatar or Titanic were. That’s a part of the hype now as much as being the last chapter of the first saga of the MCU.

Edited by ZattMurdock

8 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Regardless how much other releases are coming, Endgame is about to become the highest grossing film of all time. People thinking this doesn’t generates hype don’t really remember what Avatar or Titanic were.

People didn't go back to see Avatar or Titanic to make it the "highest grossing film of all time". That's not why they had such strong legs, normal people don't care about box office figures. I know Endgame's your favorite movie ever, but you don't have to make up false statements to defend it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

People didn't go back to see Avatar or Titanic to make it the "highest grossing film of all time". That's not why they had such strong legs, normal people don't care about box office figures. I know Endgame's your favorite movie ever, but you don't have to make up false statements to defend it.

I... didn’t said that? :wintf:

What I said is that Endgame playing as a finale plus been on the verge that it’s on the verge of topping Avatar adds to the hype. No need to go personal, it’s just how I remember it: both Avatar and Titanic had what I lazily call "biggest film" hype going for it. It is an actual thing that attracts casuals. Expecting similar to Endgame isn’t far fetched at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

I saw Aladdin tonight, it's quite well done. 

I can see why it's such a crowd pleaser. 

I guess I'm the only one who thought Jafar was actually quite well done. 

A little subdued but sinister. I don't get all the hate for him... oh well.

I liked Jafar a lot more the second time. It’s quite a departure from the original and a tad underdeveloped, but it works as it’s own thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Sorry I did calculations mistake.

JW 3 $3.2-3.3mn.

EG $1.9-2

Whew, lucky thing I only popped into this thread now. Good numbers Wick, Endgame. Great number Aladdin. Top 5 post-MDW Tuesday’s as far as I can find:  

Aladdin 11.75  

DOFP 8.2

F6 8.03

PotC:AWE 7.8

Indy4 7.6   

Highest Wed seems to be Pirates 6.4, Aladdin will blow that away as well. Indy 44.7 looks like target for best Memorial opener 2nd wknd.

32 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Whew, lucky thing I only popped into this thread now. Good numbers Wick, Endgame. Great number Aladdin. Top 5 post-MDW Tuesday’s as far as I can find:  

Aladdin 11.75  

DOFP 8.2

F6 8.03

PotC:AWE 7.8

Indy4 7.6   

Highest Wed seems to be Pirates 6.4, Aladdin will blow that away as well. Indy 44.7 looks like target for best Memorial opener 2nd wknd.

Damn. Indy made good ground from just 7.6 Tuesday.

If somehow Aladdin mange 100% jump on 2nd Friday, 50 could be done.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Damn. Indy made good ground from just 7.6 Tuesday.

If somehow Aladdin mange 100% jump on 2nd Friday, 50 could be done.

Pirates and Indy were in the age before Discount Tues, so the Tues:wknd multiplier is way off modern times.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

"I know EG's your favorite movie ever, but you dont have to make up false statements to defend it"

What the hell haha, why are you attacking him personally. Besides which, he is not fabricating any facts, if you disagree with him why not just say "I dont think casual audiences care about box office numbers". My goodness, does every response to AEG have to filled with hyperbole or vitriol? 

Godzilla1 was fresh on RT with 75% and barely got 2x multi. Aud score was 66%.

I don't mind if KOTM gets 55% or 45% from critics. Venom got 29% last year.