Wormow

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes | November 17, 2023 | Prequel about President Snow | Francis Lawrence to direct | Given a SAG interim agreement

5 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

The timing of these things is always interesting. She was probably cast when people thought West Side Story would be a hit and around the same time she landed Snow White. Rewind two years and she had the momentum of a bright up and comer. Now the jury is definitely out and a lot depends on how this and Snow White hit with neither feeling like sure things at the moment. 

Yeah, it’s quite ironic, it happens sometimes that every studios thinks someone is the new big deal and 6 months and a lot of contracts later, everyone hates the person. 

I think the hate towards Rachel is quite unfair and she is talented, so it’s not really about her. From what we know, test screenings suggest is a very strong movie and she’s great in it. 

But still, from a hype perspective she’s clearly lacking appeal as the lead and while her co-lead isn’t hated, he’s not a big deal either. In a world social media can make or break a movie, this is really bad for them.

JLaw and Josh was bigger rising stars when the franchise started, but of course the moviestar system wasn’t nearly dead in 2011 so it’s hard to blame someone, but i do hope the movie succeed, even if it opens softer and then get very good legs.

Edited by ThomasNicole

5 hours ago, Eric Poirot said:

I will also say that I do strongly disagree with Rachel Zegler being the problem. Most of the "backlash" against her still seems, hopefully seems, like Brie Larson-style alt-right nonsense that doesn't translate to the normies who don't even know she exists (not an invitation for debate, don't even think about opening that can of worms). I don't even fully buy the "Hunger Games isn't Hunger Games without J-Law" stuff, though I kind of get it.

Really, I think the biggest problem is just that the concept and idea feels too dated. The whole YA dystopia trend crashed and burned hard once we got to 2016, and it makes sense. When our world actually became a hellish dystopia with climate change destroying everything and evil right-wingers like Trump and Bolsonaro rising into power, it ruined their escapist appeal instantly. It's really hard to really embrace these movies as fun, populist blockbusters when the evil dictators and settings where the 1% live high and mighty and the 99% are struggling to survive hit a little too close to home. These movies frankly feel too much like the evils of the real world and don't work as escapist adventures. At least something like Star Wars has fun sci-fi locales and aliens and space battles. Hunger Games really only worked in the Obama years and became instantly dated once those years were over.

I think you have a strong point from the commercial pov. Blockbusters are supposed to be a fun 2 hours at the multiplexes, and it’s definitely not fun to watch fascists gaining power just to get out of the theater and deals with … fascists gaining power. 

With that said, I think the movie can thrive artistically specifically because of that. While The Hunger Games always had clever points about totalitarian regimes, i think it’ll feel even more fresh and relevant now. If it’s a good movie, it can be a very important cultural piece for this moment we’re living and actually generate some thoughtful discussions, which is a lot more than most movies can say they did.

The second trailer for THG5 is not trending on Twitter, but it has already surpassed the number of likes of the second trailer for The Marvels, which was released at the end of August (31.5k vs 26.5k, each one on their respective main page). It’s also not far behind the number of likes that the latest Guardians of the Galaxy 3 trailer has so far (39.3k).

Also, I took a quick look at the numbers for the second trailer for THG5 on Tik Tok, Instagram and Facebook and they will soon surpass the numbers of the second trailer for The Marvels.

I don’t believe THG5 will do bigger box office than The Marvels since the Marvel brand is way bigger, but THG5 numbers on social media are far from being bad.

Edited by Litio

I feel like this is going to end up pulling perfectly OK numbers without astounding anyone ala Transformers: Rise of the Beasts. Which...seems expected to me? I dunno. The predictions that this would match or exceed the OG movies, especially being a prequel without JLaw or any of the other actors from those films, never seemed based in reality to me.

• Like 3

Trailers for this are fire and the movie will succeed or fail on the strength of THG nostalgia not Zegler's comments that have nothing to do with this movie lol. Why would fans care what she thinks about the old Snow White cartoon? Also, the star is clearly young Snow not Katniss Knock-off. If he works, the movie works and vice versa. It's on his shoulders not hers. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Trailers for this are fire and the movie will succeed or fail on the strength of THG nostalgia not Zegler's comments that have nothing to do with this movie lol. Why would fans care what she thinks about the old Snow White cartoon? Also, the star is clearly young Snow not Katniss Knock-off. If he works, the movie works and vice versa. It's on his shoulders not hers. 

It is Snows story, but Lucy is anything but a Katniss knockoff. The 2 couldn't be more different (even more in the movie version since Katniss was supposed to be a great singer in the books, but she really wasn't in the movie and Lucy is a singer and knows exactly how to manipulate the crowds)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Incels are going to have a field day in Nov with the Marvels and this coming out in back to back weekends. Women who speak their mind and don't  just shut up and worship them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

Incels are going to have a field day in Nov with the Marvels and this coming out in back to back weekends. Women who speak their mind and don't  just shut up and worship them.

I'll be blocking so many brain-dead channel suggestions by YouTube in November. Who the hell even enjoys watching an incel yelling about "woke go broke hur hur"? Puke inducing shit

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I'll be blocking so many brain-dead channel suggestions by YouTube in November. Who the hell even enjoys watching an incel yelling about "woke go broke hur hur"? Puke inducing shit

Meh, these rage bait Youtubers already got owned with Barbie. Barbillion became a reality.

Edited by Bob Train

4 hours ago, Youngstar said:

It is Snows story, but Lucy is anything but a Katniss knockoff. The 2 couldn't be more different (even more in the movie version since Katniss was supposed to be a great singer in the books, but she really wasn't in the movie and Lucy is a singer and knows exactly how to manipulate the crowds)

To book fans. To GA, they couldn't make her more of a knock-off in previews. I mean, taking a mockery bow in front of the jury panel? That's Katniss in CF. I understand that they want to show similarities for nostalgia reasons and hide other stuff, but that's how it comes off to us the uninitiated. But either way, Tom Blyth is the preview standout hands down. 

Honestly, out of all the chatter I've seen online, here, Twitter, other pop culture sites, the only thing I've seen about Young Snow is "Oh, he's obviously British".

I myself constantly forget he's supposed to be the lead, and I read the book.

51 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Zeg looks like a real Snow White in that motion poster more than in set stills from Snow White movie (was never a fan of the cartoon character's style). When she loses her suntan, she's just like the character. 

I mean I would imagine an actual official image from a film looks better than someone sneaking a set picture.

• Like 1

Just now, ChipDerby said:

I mean I would imagine an actual official image from a film looks better than someone sneaking a set picture.

agreed and set photos usually look shit. I'm just not a fan of OG Snow's style:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - IMDb

the hair, the dress, not the best. Other Disney princesses of the classic era looked better. 

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

agreed and set photos usually look shit. I'm just not a fan of OG Snow's style:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - IMDb

the hair, the dress, not the best. Other Disney princesses of the classic era looked better. 

There was this doll leak (maybe real) of her look for the movie: (though probably wrong thread ^^)