Crowd Reports Thread

Mirror, Mirror

March 14, 2012,

Powerplant Mall, Makati City, Philippines

Press Screening, 8 pm

95% full (300-400 seats)

missed the trailers

The movie:

It's campy but very entertaining as long as you don't take it too seriously. The dwarfs are funny. Julia Roberts' accent is a little distracting but well she's really charismatic. Lily Collins and Armie Hammer didn't have that much chemistry. but they were good individually in their roles. There are some changes in the story which I think is good. The crowd was laughing out loud. And oh stay until the credits roll.

B

This is off topic but your mall is really named Powerplant?

Posted Image

21 Jump Street

12:01AM Friday, March 16th (the screen was dark until 12:25AM; we were starting to wonder if NSTAR was running the projector)

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 200 (40% full; there was a 2nd midnight showing in the RPX auditorium, so no telling how many people bought tickets for that screen also)

Ticket Price: $9.00

Concessions: "Small" Coke Zero, $4.75

TRAILERS: (we only saw the last 20 seconds of one trailer)

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - again, we only saw the end of it. The audience was just clapping during it because the projector was finally working.

THE FILM:

The original 21 Jump Street TV series debuted more than a year and a half before I was even born, so walking into this film I had no precedent to compare 21 Jump Street to with regards to the TV show it was based on. My chief concern was that this movie deliver on the promise of laugh-out-loud comedy and spontaneous comic action as was sold in the trailers, and the film fortunately succeeds here.

If it wasn't official already, Jonah Hill is the king of buddy bromances in this generation. First with SuperBad, then Funny People, Get Him to the Greek, Moneyball, and now 21 Jump Street, Jonah Hill demonstrates his greatest talent as an actor: for any leading man traits he lacks physically he makes up for immensely in his ability to build chemistry with his co-stars and deliver consistently funny material. And even Channing Tatum finally gives a high profile screen performance that doesn't depend on him being eye candy for the ladies; although, 21 spares no effort at exploiting Tatum's physique for belly laughs when possible). Even though much of the plot was spoon-fed to viewers from watching the trailer, I appreciated that more than half the trailers' content is exhausted in the first five minutes of the 21 Jump Street. Also, rather than take itself seriously as an action film a lot of story devices were set up and ultimately not used to almost mock the fact that the story was in fact an action comedy.

Our audience laughed continuously throughout the movie, some harder than others (guilty). I believe that for a movie like this its helpful to have a tighter grasp on pop culture to really appreciate the writing doled out. So (for example) if you understand that the film industry has been shattered with unoriginal remakes the last few years, you'll not only appreciate in-jokes about 21 Jump Street actually being based off a TV show, but you also will be inclined to validate or accept the movie's production in the first place. I had a fun time watching 21 Jump Street, and I can't wait to check it out again over the weekend.

Experience - 27/30

Story/Writing - 17/20

Acting - 12/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 10/15

Direction - 7/10

Music - 8/10

THE VERDICT: 81 / 100, B

• Like 2

21 Jump Street

11:30am

About 5 people (Clearly this is more of a night movie.)

Trailers

The Dictator - Just give us some new fotoage, already.

Lockout - I must admit. This could be kind of awesome.

The Cabin In The Woods - I'm not sold on this yet.

Neighborhood Watch - I'll probably see this.

Chernobyl Diaries - Whatever.

Men In Black III - See Neighborhood Watch

That's My Boy - When I wanted Sandler to stop doing crappy family comedies, this isn't what I meant.

Review in the GTM forum.

John Carter

7:45 PM, March 16, 2012

Glorietta Cinema 2 [2D screen]

100% full (400-500 seats)

Trailers:

Battleship - Heard some people say "looks good" and some laughs when Rihanna scenes were shown

ATM - some "WTF" reactions from the crowd

The Hunger Games - some murmurs

Resident Evil 4 - The first part of this trailer/teaser looked like a commercial so when Mila Jovovich appeared some people were surprised to learn that this is for the movie

The Amazing Spider-man - Some talks, heard a guy asking his date "we will watch this right?"

Men in Black 3 - laughs with Josh Brolin scenes

The Avengers - Lots of chatter

The movie:

I came in with low expectations actually after all the things that have been said and I guess it helped because I was pleasantly entertained by this film. It has pacing issues but overall it was a good film. The first part was boring and I actually didn't fully understand what was going on until the Barsoom scenes. The crowd responded well especially with the "Virginia!" scenes and I think most of the audience like me are not familiar with the source material as I heard "Ah that makes sense!", "Ah that's why" on the last part of the movie. And as the movie ended heard some chatter wondering if there will be a Part 2 given how it ended. Too bad it likely won't happen at all.

B

Edited by forg

21 Jump Street

8:45 PM - ~150 people - $12

Trailers:

Cabin in the Woods? - Looks great actually.

American Reunion - Dumb.

The Adam Sandler movie with the guy from SNL - lots of laughs.

Neighborhood Watch - Lol.

The Dictator - Laughs.

And something else...

Movie:

HOLY JESUS IT WAS SO FUNNY. It starts instantly and doesn't let up for the rest of the movie. The scene from the trailer where they stick their tongues out is actually like a 10 minute scene with after affects from this drug and I was laughing so much I thought I was having a heart attack, I couldn't breathe. Jonah Hill is definitely the best part of the movie, of course, but everyone was really funny and I loved all the chemistry references ("App" Chemistry!) and the Johnny Depp cameo and everyone else.

The audience laughed pretty much nonstop as well.

Edited by Dragon Travtoo

John Carter2:55PMAbout 50%-60% (Quite nice for a 2nd weekend on a Friday afternoon)Trailers:Wrath of the Titans: I believe I've seen this trailer at ever film I've seen this year with the exception of the Lorax. Some talking.MIB3 (New trailer): Tons of laughs. Great trailer.Brave (New trailer): Felt like a teaser. Great reaction.Madagascar 3: Further proof the audience determines your trailer. Lorax and other family films this got tons of laughs. Here-Only laughs were at the Afro Circus and a couple other lines.Prometheus: Forgot this was 3D. No reaction, but that is expected for this type of film.Avengers (New trailer): Wow. Amazing. Great reaction here as well.Movie: Very fun. Fantastic music and the visuals were great. Yeah some of the lines were a bit cheesy. But overall an enjoyable film. I loved the look of the film. (Moab is a very beautiful place where it was filmed). This was marketed wrong. This was a great ride and I am certain this will become popular as time goes on. The audience really ate this up also. I really hope the Oscars can somehow remember this for visuals and music this year. (Unlikely) Oh and I loved how they called him Virginia. And I really want to see more of these films!A- Best film of 2012 so far.

• Like 1

21 Jump Street

Friday, 10:30 PM

Attendance: Theater was empty when we sat down at 10:15, by the time the movie started the theater was about 80% full... at least 200 people

Crowd: Mostly twenty-somethings

Trailers:

That's My Boy- Got a good reaction... looks terrible

The Avengers- Some chatter

Some Chinese action movie.... looks awesome

Edgar Allen Poe movie- looks ok, N/R

Dark Shadows- Uhhh.. I wasn't blown away by the trailer but I might see it

American Wedding- Best reaction. Looks funny.

Film/Crowd Reaction:

Oh my god. So fucking funny. The trailer was awesome and it always gets a great reaction so I was expecting good things but nowhere near this level. Where has this Channing Tatum been the past 10 years? Perfect comic timing... he and Hill make a great duo... The crowd ate it up, there was hardly a single moment where the audience wasn't dying laughing.. people were in tears. This is going to have amazing WOM. Seeing a good comedy in a crowded theater, nothing beats that experience. Audience cheered and clapped when Depp made his cameo.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

THE LORAX
Sta. Lucia East Grand Mall (05% Full) | Cainta | The Philippines

Trailers:
BATTLESHIP
WRATH OF THE TITANS
AMERICAN PIE: THE REUNION (yes, attached to a family film, LOL)
SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN
MEN IN BLACK lll
THE BOURNE LEGACY
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
- impossible to gauge reactions for a theater that's just 05% full (was the last full showing) -

Posted Image

Fun, colorful and appealing. However, the wonderful and timely message

could have had a better execution if not for some hollow, annoying scenes.

07.45 | 10.00

Edited by kayumanggi

21 Jump Street

03/16/12 4:00 PM

Trailers:

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World- Looks alright. Some laughs here and there.

Dark Shadows- I actually like this trailer for some odd reason. "What is this sorcery?" gets me every time.

That's My Boy- Looks mildly funny, but I can't stand Sandler anymore so I won't be seeing. Got a pretty good reaction though.

Lockout- Looks pretty damn awesome if I do say so myself. Some chatter.

Film:

Very very funny. I definitely was laughing till I was almost crying at parts. Tatum is actually becoming an enjoyable actor to watch these days. Hill was the comedic highlight, of course. Every comedy fan should see it. There were some draggy moments here and there, but overall it was a very effective comedy. The cameo is great.

B/B+

THE LORAX

Sta. Lucia East Grand Mall (05% Full) | Cainta | The Philippines

Trailers:

BATTLESHIP

WRATH OF THE TITANS

AMERICAN PIE: THE REUNION (yes, attached to a family film, LOL)

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN

MEN IN BLACK lll

THE BOURNE LEGACY

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY

What type of trailers are this for a family movie?! :huh::o:blink:

What type of trailers are this for a family movie?! :huh::o:blink:

Some of those movies have the same local distributor of The Lorax and usually all upcoming movies by a local distributor are attached to a movie they have out regardless of genre or appropriateness :lol: Edited by forg