Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

GONE

12:50 Showing, about 35 people in the audience

Trailers (no reaction to any of them)

Prometheus

The Lucky One

Silet House

The movie. Pretty quiet crowd, didn't hear anything during the movie and only heard 1 exit comment, something like "That was actually pretty good"

I almost didn't see this, the low boxoffice and middling reviews almost put me off, but I decided on a matinee before the Academy Awards.

I quite liked it, it was a straight up thriller without any laughs added (intentional or otherwise), or any over the top action sequences. The minimal action is more grounded in reality. It feels more like an independant movie, which I think it was originally intended to be.

8.5/10

• Like 1

Ghost Rider 27:40pm80% fullno trailersthe first movie at least looked like a blockbuster, this looks like made ​​for TV/DVDPros- Good special effects (for a movie of 57 million)- some good scenesCons- movie aesthetically very ugly- Horrible performances (mainly from Cage and the boy)- horrible script- Awkward scenes- The scene at the excavation site2.5/10

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Feb. 27, 2012, 8 PM

Powerplant Mall, Makati City, Philippines

Press Screening

80% full 300-400 seats

Ice Age 4 short - this is the only screening I saw that this short didn't have any reaction at all.

The Dark Knight Rises

The Hobbit

Prometheus

Titanic 3D - heard some chatter saying they never saw this in the theaters, just in TV

The Lucky One

Wrath of the Titans

Rock of Ages - great reactions for Tom Cruise's part

The movie:

I read the book so I'm familiar with the story and I must the say the movie adaptation was good. It got the essence of the story quite well. It ran a little long and sometimes pushes the button too hard that it makes for an exhausting viewing. But the acting was great, Thomas Horn did well, his performance was exactly what I pictured when I was reading the book. Sandra Bullock was strong in the confrontation scene. Crowd responded well with Oskar, some laughs with his various idiosyncrasies and ditto The Renter. When Oskar said that mean thing to her mom during the confrontation, I heard a person say "Aray!" (which in english means "Ouch!). There were some claps when the credits rolled in

B

Edited by forg

Project X (advanced screening)730 pm 2/28/12250 seater--SOLD OUTTrailers:Wrath of the Titans--no reactionThe Dark Knight Rises--makes sense the only two trailers would be from WB, no reaction during the trailer but a lot of chatter afterwards Movie:Obviously this is an early review so I'll keep it short but if you enjoyed movies like Superbad then you will love this. It's low budget and the acting is clearly minimal but the found footage aspect actually works for it. Many hilarious moments during the party and you'll be in awe at some of the stuff that goes down. Be sure to see it on a Friday or Saturday night as it will make you wanna party hard afterwards.B+(and whoever the main chick is in the movie, the black haired one, has one of the best nude scenes ever)

Posted Image

Project X

7:40PM Friday, March 2nd

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 425 (about 40% full; there were other showings 30 minutes before and after this one, so I thought180+ people was a great turnout… especially cause local colleges are on spring break this weekend)

Ticket Price: $0

Concessions: Cookie Dough Bites, $3.75

TRAILERS:

Wrath of the Titans – it’s an okay trailer, got some audience talking

The Dark Knight Rises – I love this trailer, and it got a great crowd reaction (of course)

American Reunion – perfect trailer, and it got an excellent crowd reaction… especially for Stifler

Neighborhood Watch – intriguing teaser trailer for this Vince Vaughn/Ben Stiller/Jonah Hill comedy; got everybody talking

John Carter – long trailer, got a mediocre reaction (*I’ll be seeing it, though)

21 Jump Street – this was a “Regal Exclusive” look at the comedy, and it looks very, very promising. The audience had the best reaction to this.

THE FILM:

Project X is about the party we all dream about going to in high school and that we hope we'll never be responsible for hosting. It is a compilation of all the stupid, thoughtless, life-changing choices people may make in their lives, except they're all made by 3 teenage guys anxious to get laid and throw a "cool" party. Rules, private property, and even a few hearts are broken in this 88-minute long tale of complete and total mayhem.

Is it all worth it? From the audience's perspective, absolutely! From the characters' points of view... well, you'll have to watch to find out. ;-)

I will chime in that I liked this hybrid of the "found footage"/"hand shot" format with an actual backdrop of music that complements the action in this film. With some other found footage films, like Chronicle or Cloverfield, we depend on the sounds in the moment to add backdrop noise during the scenes. But in Project X, there are really fun, contemporary party songs interjected throughout the film that perfectly--yes, perfectly--suit the party taking place throughout the movie. Even during the couple duller moments in the movie, a character plays a song on their iPod that naturally-yet-comically just keep things moving along. And I really admired that.

Since it's only been less than a week since the Academy Awards took place, I have some fresh perspective about how Project X ranks among other films highlighted for their acting quality, direction, or other filmmaking attributes. By awards standards, this movie was totally a piece of garbage (unless we're talking the Twilight MTV Movie Awards). Even so, the whole audience had an excellent time. It's equally as ridiculous as The Hangover (if not more so), and about half as well-made as SuperBad. The shenanigans are priceless, though, and the movie lives up to its hype as being the most epic high school party ever.

Crowd Experience - 25/30

Story/Writing - 9/20

Acting - 8/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 5/15

Direction - 7/10

Music - 10/10

BONUS:

Music-driven story/plot - 5

THE VERDICT: 69 / 100, C (but a very high "C")

• Like 2

Thanks, bigm10. Here's another one for you. ;-)

Posted Image

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (in 3D)

1:20PM Saturday, March 3rd

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 225 (40% full; it may have actually been more crowded than that as it's hard to count the heads of children sitting in the seats in front of me)

Ticket Price: $13.00

Concessions: Medium Popcorn, $7.00

TRAILERS: (missed a couple walking in late)

The Pirates: Band of Misfits - this looks stupid, even the kids weren't laughing.

To the Arctic - neat IMAX-3D documentary about polar bears; got some talking from the audience. This girl behind me asked her dad, "What's IMAX?" to which he replied, "IMAX is just better." Smart guy.

Madagascar 3 - the children loved this trailer; the producers certainly know their demographic (and it ain't me)

Frankenweenie - Tim Burton going back to his roots? FINALLY! This got a good reaction.

Mirror Mirror - same cheap trailer, but got lots of talking afterward.

THE FILM:

Dr. Seuss is awesome. I believe his greatest legacy is that the whimsical words and worlds he put on paper continue to inspire young people of new generations and even rekindle the imaginations of older ones. The visual eye candy that is "Thneed-Ville" and the world of The Lorax demonstrates the everlasting beauty of Seuss' work. A few years ago I might've complained about how wearing tinted 3D glasses would diminish a computer-animated picture like this one, but The Lorax bursts with so much color that I proclaim 3D handily enhances the movie-going experience.

Despite giving Zac Efron and Danny Devito top-billing in the voice cast, I was pleasantly surprised to see what an ensemble effort The Lorax really is; especially from Ed Helms. Like some of my favorite movies from the last few decades, The Lorax employs a story-telling component that instantly grabs your attention and taps into the child in all of us (think Big Fish or The Princess Bride). The action scenes truly feel like being on an amusement park ride, something I can only dream Universal's Islands of Adventure plans on adding to it's Seuss Landing one day. And the tiny animals of the Thneed forest are some of the funniest animated creatures I've seen on screen, much like Despicable Me's minions.

The Lorax does have its missteps, namely the controversial, anti-capitalism/pro-environmental agenda the plot promotes. I found myself wondering a few times if the grim themes in Lorax were really appropriate to show young children, but judging by their reactions they didn't seem to mind. Also, the film was a lot more musical than I expected it to be, which was a shocker because I recall Zac Efron publicly stating he wants to move his career away from musical films (*in his defense, his character never really sings anyway). And for Taylor Swift's film debut, I was also a little surprised we don't really hear her sing (much) either. In any event, the audience really enjoyed The Lorax. Kids were singing the final songs as they exited the theater, and a few of them were even dancing to the beats on their parents laps. So as far as family-friendly films go, The Lorax hits it right out of the park and is very appropriate for that demographic. I recommend taking any kids you know to see it.

Crowd Experience - 27/30

Story/Writing - 16/20

Acting - 12/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 15/15

Direction - 7/10

Music - 9/10

THE VERDICT: 86 / 100, A

• Like 1

I saw Project X and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance yesterday.Project X: BGhost Rider: F(this one was really bad, in case you didn't already know)Judging by my theater, I was shocked at the Lorax number because despite its fullness, it only got one theater instead of the two I usually see in my theater for 3D movies.Project X....don't get me started. I thought it would be single digits this weekend when I left the theater. I was one of four people. (Granted it was 12:50)As for the rest of the movies, here's the order in which they'd fall in my theater.1. The Lorax2. Journey 23. Act of Valor4. Project X5. Good Deeds6. Ghost Rider 27. This Means War8. The Artist9. Safe House10. The Vow11. Wanderlust12. Gone13. Chronicle14. Star Wars 3D

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax

2D. Saturday, 5:00 PM. Theater was 95% full.

Trailers

Into the Arctic 3D

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! (Yeah, I'm using the UK title)

Frankenweenie

ParaNorman

Despicable Me 2 (the audience burst into laughter at the end of the trailer)

Mirror Mirror

Personally, I felt that The Lorax wasn't that good. It was a very enjoyable film, but in terms of the storytelling and writing, it was unspectacular IMO. On the positive side: Nice animation, likable characters and decent songs. (The marketing seemed to hide the fact that this film was a musical) What didn't work? The first half was a bit obnoxious, and there were quite a few jokes that misfired. The story wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. Parts of it just felt too candy-coated and sugary for my tastes. I don't know, I just felt that this one was sort of lacking. This one felt a little more kid-friendly than usual animated family films, but I'm glad it's a success. It's definitely a fun flick, and it's definitely worth checking out, but it's not great. The audience applauded at the end and laughed at most of the funny parts.

C+

Edited by Safari92

Project X

7:50PM Saturday 3/3

Long Island, NY

SOLD OUT

TRAILERS:

American Reunion

The Dictator

Silent House

Wrath of the Titans

The Dark Knight Rises

21 Jump Street Regal 5 min trailer

I thought it was really good for what it is; as others have already said its a Superbad style party movie with unknown actors--if your OK with that and looking to have a fun time this is the movie for you

7/10

• Like 1

Posted Image

"The Lorax"

Trailers(came too late to see any)

Movie:

Let me start by saying that "The Lorax" was about as good as "Despicable Me". That being said I thought "Despicable Me" was run of the mill and I gave it a C.

The Lorax was funny, but as another poster said, it's less funny when he's not on screen. It's a bit ridiculous, but what do you expect? I guess Melandadri just isn't my favorite.

The children loved it, however, and if I was a parent I'd take them too see this.

C-

As for the rest of my theater, I don't know how Project X is doing so well, but yet so bad in my theater. More people were in Chronicle and The Artist.

1. The Lorax 2. Act of Valor 3. Good Deeds 4. The Vow 5. Journey 2 6. Safe House 7. The Artist 8. Chronicle 9. Project X 10. Wanderlust 11. Gone 12. This Means War 13. Ghost Rider 2 14. Star Wars 3D

• Like 1

The Lorax1PMPretty crowded, full of all ages.Trailers:Mirror, Mirror: Plenty of laughs at some points.To the Artic: Never even heard of this film today.Paranorman: New trailer. Tons of laughs.Madagascar 3: Very very good reaction. Loads of laughs.Pirates: Same old, same old trailer that I'm tired of. Though they altered the best line in the trailer! Laughs.Ice Age 4: The crowd went nuts during this trailer. 2nd best reaction.People going "Start movie!"Despicable Me 2: BEST reaction. The classical Beach Boys song sang by the Minions was awesome. Very very clever.Movie: Pretty good. Loved the humor. The music was amazing as well. I loved the rap song "I'm not Bad" (I think that is what it was called) ironic since I can't stand rap. I also loved the opening number. DeVito was perfect. I even *gasp* liked Betty White. Now the animation was amazing. Some of the best I've ever seen. The entire cast was great.The credits at the end were pretty good as well. And look out for a Minion at the start of the film!ABTW-I'm not sure what Suess novel they can do next. Green Eggs and Ham? :P Really though, that be tough since there really is no story. And I noticed a Giesel in the credits, I wonder if that is his grandson?

Saw 3 movies today. Ghost Rider at 1:00PM, it was a piece of garbage, one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The first was much better!Hugo at 3:45 (100% FULL in a 180 seats screen!!!). A masterpiece. One of the best movies I have ever seen.And This Means War at 6:25PM (30% full, 359 seats screen). It was hilarious! People must see this! I laughed so hard!

• Like 1

Chronicle17:2060% fullthe BEST climax in some time, but the rest is average.yes the climax saves the movie, COMPLETELYB+

Climax was good, but the rest of the film (showing the trio learning and goofing around with their powers) was more interesting/original. Character development made the movie what it is. Edited by tonytr87

The Lorax1PMPretty crowded, full of all ages.Trailers:Mirror, Mirror: Plenty of laughs at some points.To the Artic: Never even heard of this film today.Paranorman: New trailer. Tons of laughs.Madagascar 3: Very very good reaction. Loads of laughs.Pirates: Same old, same old trailer that I'm tired of. Though they altered the best line in the trailer! Laughs.Ice Age 4: The crowd went nuts during this trailer. 2nd best reaction.People going "Start movie!"Despicable Me 2: BEST reaction. The classical Beach Boys song sang by the Minions was awesome. Very very clever.Movie: Pretty good. Loved the humor. The music was amazing as well. I loved the rap song "I'm not Bad" (I think that is what it was called) ironic since I can't stand rap. I also loved the opening number. DeVito was perfect. I even *gasp* liked Betty White. Now the animation was amazing. Some of the best I've ever seen. The entire cast was great.The credits at the end were pretty good as well. And look out for a Minion at the start of the film!ABTW-I'm not sure what Suess novel they can do next. Green Eggs and Ham? :P Really though, that be tough since there really is no story. And I noticed a Giesel in the credits, I wonder if that is his grandson?

I had one of those famous "Loved it while getting out moments" I think while it was great, B+ sounds better.