Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

By the way, has nobody noticed the obvious green screens in a few non-action shots during the ASM trailer? It's distracting, and makes obvious the fact that they shot quite a bit in L.A. and on soundstages. Seeing the trailer again on the big screen, I noticed for the first time how "been there, done that" the whole thing feels. Besides more night scenes, the whole tone doesn't feel THAT much different from the original trilogy.

By the way, has nobody noticed the obvious green screens in a few non-action shots during the ASM trailer? It's distracting, and makes obvious the fact that they shot quite a bit in L.A. and on soundstages. Seeing the trailer again on the big screen, I noticed for the first time how "been there, done that" the whole thing feels. Besides more night scenes, the whole tone doesn't feel THAT much different from the original trilogy.

Yeah it does feel the same. As I said they are doing this way too soon.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence in 3D8:35 PM--2/17/12About 50 % full (mostly teenagers)Trailers:21 Jump Street---got the best reaction, laughs throughoutSilent House---some murmuring, heard one guy say "looks interesting"Battleship---pretty quietNow the 3D trailers:Amazing Spider-Man----some shots looked cool in the 3D, but I'm still not sure about itPrometheus---sadly pretty quiet reaction, but this looked coolWrath of the Titans----looks like an improvement over the first, and the audience seemed to agreeAs far as the movie is concerned, it's better than the first, much darker which is what Ghost Rider should be. Cage definately went over the top in some scenes. I actually thought the villian (Decaying Guy) was pretty cool, the twinkie thing was funny. Most of the jokes fell flat though. I wish there had been more action, as it did get boring in some parts. Wouldn't recommend seeing it in theaters, probably just wait til its on TV for free.Grade: 5.5/10

Posted Image

Safe House

4:25PM Saturday, February 18th

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 120 (95% full; very surprised by the near-capacity auditorium because this was one of those showings with subtitles the whole film for the hearing-impaired. Also, the audience seemed 50/50 black and white, which was a little surprising considering the demographic make-up of the area)

Ticket Price: $11.50

Concessions: N/A

TRAILERS:

Battleship - interesting trailer, some talking

Bourne Legacy - sick trailer, great reaction

21 Jump Street - always a great reaction from this fun trailer

Project X - looks awesome, got lots of laughs (*for the record, one of the friends I saw Safe House with went to a sneak screening of Project X last night and said it was unbelievable, and very much like SuperBad)

Prometheus - perfect teaser, but no reaction

The Cold Light of Day - crappy trailer, no reaction

Act of Valor - no reaction... people got trailer fatigue by this point.

THE FILM:

A couple friends invited me to watch this, one of whom saw this last week and told me I HAD to watch Safe House. So between that and its impressive box office debut, my expectations were a little higher for this than they may've been a week ago. And it's funny what I took from Safe House because it wasn't at all what I expected. I did enjoy Safe House, despite some predictable plot elements I picked up on throughout the film. It's a solid, fast-paced action movie with good performances from our leads complimented very well by its South Africa setting.

I found Safe House especially fascinating because of Ryan Reynold's character. This is the third film I've seen him in playing a very particular type of person: an innocent guy who ends up in a crummy situation so much bigger than him. The other films I'm thinking of are Smokin' Aces and Buried, which are fantastic films for completely different reasons. While Denzel Washington plays an interesting character in this film, I think it's Reynolds' character with the more interesting story. And I actually admire the guy more because he accepts roles like these; they're risky, but he continues to pull them off swimmingly.

As for the rest of the movie, I was confused as to whether Safe House was rated PG-13 or R; there was not so much in the department of bad language, but some of the kills and gorier scenes were pretty gruesome (it's rated R). And the movie was driven neither by its soundtrack nor artistic style (although I was a fan of a couple "artsy" shots near the film's end); however, I don't believe these detracted from the overall quality of the movie either.

Safe House is a satisfactory action movie to see in theaters; it's definitely light on comedy, and it's romance isn't very special either. You'll probably empathize with these characters as I did and the film's ending was amusing for my friends and I to discuss for about 10 minutes. So definitely don't skip Safe House if you get a chance to check it out.

Experience - 21/30

Story/Writing - 14/20

Acting - 13/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 10/15

Direction - 7/10

Music - 5/10

THE VERDICT: 70/100, B

• Like 2

Episode I 3D1PMAbout 30% full. Yes more crowded the Ghost Rider 2's OD...and this was at a less crowded theater :PTrailers:Paranorman: Couple laughs from kids.The Lorax: Tons and tons of laughs.Madagascar 3: Great reaction.Wrath of the Titans: I hear a kid go "Thats the bad guy from Harry Potter!" :lol:Amazing Spider-Man: Someone went "Wow the cast is diffrent"Three Stooges: The only one of the 6 trailers I've never seen. Wish it could of remained that I never saw this...though some very young kids loved the trailer. (One funny comment about Moe's haircut I heard from a kid "He looks like a Beattle!")Intresting how reissues use to be what drove movies grosses. That was before the home video market. (In all honesty, this could of done better had the Blu Rays not came out)The movie itself, not as good as it was when I first saw it, but it aged better then I thought it would. The visuals are really cool still. And Kiera Knightley, I know who she is now in it.

This Means War2:50 PM--2/21/12only 15 in the audienceTrailers:Prometheus---this just looks awesome, however it looked better in 3d when i saw the trailer at Ghost RiderThink Like A Man---really doubt i'd see this, not much reaction from the audienceAmerican Reunion---hopefully this is good, i'll catch thisWhat to Expect When You're Expecting---could this be the sleeper hit of the summer? maybe??Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter----this could be cool, but it could also suck. don't know yetThree Stooges---this actually got the best reactionFor some reason they showed an Ice Age short, which is kind of funny, but seemed out of place.Movie: It wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Had some funny moments. Hardy playing paintball and taking everyone out was funny. Not a big Chelsea Handler fan, but she delivered some zingers. Damn Reese looks good wearing just a t-shirt. The chemistry between Pine and Hardy was good. Didn't really feel like a McG flick, compared to his other action comedies (i.e. Charlie's Angels), which is a good thing. However, just like Green Lantern, Angela Bassett is under-utilized. If you dont catch it in theaters, then rent it.Grade: 7/10

• Like 1

DriveFri 23:00about 20 (run is finishing here)Trailers:Contraband (irritating trailer, didn't sell anything to me)John Carter (laughing in the audience when the Disney logo came up)Fantastic film (see review), had a mediocre run here but it has a rather limited audience too. I will catch this on BluRay once it gets cheap.

Act of Valor

7:15pm

90% full

Trailers

John Carter- Silence

21 Jump Street- Lots of laughs. Best reaction.

The Raven- Some talk

G.I. Joe 2- Silence

Movie: The acting wasn't top notch or anything but the story was deep and amazing! This had the same acting as Courageous but it was made up in the heart-breaking story and great visuals. It has some intense action sequences too that are fun. Since I grew up in a military family (both Great Grandfathers, Grandpas, two Uncles, and my Dad both served in the military) this film might have been more personally and touching. The audience enjoyed it a lot too. It got a standing ovation and claps at the end. The showing was filled with a wide variation of people: older veterans, young kids, men and women, and teens. It seemed universally liked by the audience and there was lots of talk after. The film is very very pro-military and American and won't have the same emotional affect that is has on native born Americans has it will on non-Americans and annoying liberals. I can definitely see this film blasting over 30M opening weekend and would not be surprised if is had great legs and crossed 100M. I enjoyed and it is a must see!!

Support the Troops!

9.5/10

GOON

6 PM showing, between 90 and 100 people

Trailers:

Promethius- Same old trailer, looks interesting but never gets much reaction

Lockout- Kind of a familiar premise (especially for Maggie Grace) and only minimal reaction, except for a great one liner at the end that got some good laughs from the crowd.

The Raven- No reaction

Silent House- a small reaction, some people made some unflattering comments about the reality-like film style.

The movie:

This was a great movie to see with a decent sized crowd, the audience was right into it with a lot of laughs throughout. This won't win any awards but it's the most fun I've had watching a movie so far this year. I will definitely be seeing this again, mabe on discount Tuesday when there will be a big crowd.

9.5/10 just because it was so much fun.

• Like 1

Act of Valor Regal Ithaca Mall 142/25 3:05pm60 - 75 people (good mix of young and old)Trailers: (was running late)GI Joe 2: not much reactionWell I have a few problems with this movie. The acting is bad, the script is not very good, and some of the action scenes are too much like a video game and I feel like we never get a full conclusion to one of the storyline. The cinematography is nice and the ending into the credits was a nice way to show respect for our troops. At the end of the movie the crowd was dead silence and it took a little bit for most of them to get up and leave. I can't really give a reaction for the crowd.Final Grade: B-