TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

34 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

The cast just said that there was so much footage they could’ve made 15 different movies with it so I don’t doubt some of the test screenings were weird as hell. Assuming the BSL guy’s sources saw a more reasonable screening if they were so positive on it. 

Yeah, this is true. The people i follow said few weeks ago the editing on Thor was hard not because it's bad, but because Taika made so much improvisation that they have too much footage to choose and had many versions of the same scenes.

That's probably explain how we get at the same week BSL saying a test screening was super well received and a fella here saying he heard from his friend that the movie was having issues with bad jokes, probably just different versions.

11 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

BSL mentioned some issues w/ test screenings with DS2 but said they were more positive after the reshoots. 

Yes, not only him, pretty much everyone i follow said DS2 tested way better post reshoots, despite nobody saying the tests was great even after reshoots, it was better.

And i mean, the reviews aren't really bad, 75% with 6.5 average is fine, so seems likely it tested better than the way longer version that was pretty much hated during tests.

• Like 2

He was also working on OFMD during half the week while editing L&T the other half so the process must’ve been so kind of bonkers. Also for nerd properties/blockbusters I think it’s best to trust people like Vieweranon, BSL, etc who seem to understand the general audience’s expectations for these movies and not people from an Oscars forum… 

I always thought Batman Returns was held in pretty decent regard as a sequel? (haven't seen it, mostly because I didn't really like Burton's first one). 

Anyway I mostly ignore these rumors. The jokes in the trailers were a bit hit-or-miss for me, but no way to know how it will impact the film itself. My initial guess is that critical/audience reception will be similar to GOTG2. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

I always thought Batman Returns was held in pretty decent regard as a sequel? (haven't seen it, mostly because I didn't really like Burton's first one). 

OrdinaryWeakBichonfrise-size_restricted.

Back then, people hated Batman Returns. It did decent critically, but it earned a huge backlash from a lot of people over its disturbing violent and sexual content. Parent groups and soccer moms especially thought the film was so intense and brutal that it "traumatized" their children, to the point where McDonald's had to get rid of their Happy Meal toys. This basically meant the film only did about 65% of the first Batman movie domestically, which...yeah, sequels didn't retain as much back then, but it was still a harsh fall, and is why Burton was kicked off the franchise and Batman Forever was made the way it was.

Thankfully, it's a lot more well-regarded and applauded these days, mainly because Tim Burton was allowed total control, while his first Batman was a lot more exec-driven, as well as the way Catwoman and Penguin are written are amazing. Do give it a watch. I'm not gaga over the 89 film like a lot of others are, and I still think Returns is the best Batman movie.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Yeah I was gonna say, I love Batman Returns so I'm confused why anyone would be worried if this got compared to it. But it is undoubtedly a very horny movie for the genre and I kinda hope L&T is too cause these Marvel movies are so extremely not horny in general. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

The cast just said that there was so much footage they could’ve made 15 different movies with it so I don’t doubt some of the test screenings were weird as hell. Assuming the BSL guy’s sources saw a more reasonable screening if they were so positive on it. 

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I'm just saying it shouldn't be impossible to believe it. Or thought Disney whittled it down a bit or something

29 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I'm just saying it shouldn't be impossible to believe it. Or thought Disney whittled it down a bit or something

I mean I think if they want him to be their Star Wars savior, they probably should keep him happy cause he has about 87 other projects right now he could be doing instead and probably would rather be doing. 

1 hour ago, Eric Lightyear said:

OrdinaryWeakBichonfrise-size_restricted.

Back then, people hated Batman Returns. It did decent critically, but it earned a huge backlash from a lot of people over its disturbing violent and sexual content. Parent groups and soccer moms especially thought the film was so intense and brutal that it "traumatized" their children, to the point where McDonald's had to get rid of their Happy Meal toys. This basically meant the film only did about 65% of the first Batman movie domestically, which...yeah, sequels didn't retain as much back then, but it was still a harsh fall, and is why Burton was kicked off the franchise and Batman Forever was made the way it was.

Thankfully, it's a lot more well-regarded and applauded these days, mainly because Tim Burton was allowed total control, while his first Batman was a lot more exec-driven, as well as the way Catwoman and Penguin are written are amazing. Do give it a watch. I'm not gaga over the 89 film like a lot of others are, and I still think Returns is the best Batman movie.

Still the best superhero live action anything ever. As to why people didn't like it, well, Oswald had it right...

Batman Penguin GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

Yeah I was gonna say, I love Batman Returns so I'm confused why anyone would be worried if this got compared to it. But it is undoubtedly a very horny movie for the genre and I kinda hope L&T is too cause these Marvel movies are so extremely not horny in general. 

Will there be a Waititi variation of Bale saying something like this to Portman or Thompson? We can only hope...

BROTHERTEDD.COM | Batman returns 1992, Batman returns, Batman

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean I think if they want him to be their Star Wars savior, they probably should keep him happy cause he has about 87 other projects right now he could be doing instead and probably would rather be doing. 

To be fair, Taika is pretty popular now. He won an Oscar. He's apart of a hit HBO Max series and 2 acclaimed FX/Hulu series. His last few movies have all been for Disney/Fox (this, Next Goal Wins, Jojo Rabbit, Ragnarok). I could see some kind of middle ground being made between the two where both parties end up happy with this and their future relationship

16 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I mean, Taika has literally said for 2 years this is a bigger, weirder, wackier movie. The tone in trailer seems broader and flashier. And we've already heard rumors here about the test screenings being... messy

No, we havent. Again one guy here vs multiple insiders who have said it tested positive.

Im starting to think sone of you isolate the things you want to isolate since it fits a certain narrative. Since when is a bot user an accurate source of test screenings?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ummm, months before Eternals came out, there were reports of Feige being blown away by it and it being a potential Oscar contender lol. No one knew it would be bad until like the week of social media embargo lifting. There weren't really reports of Doctor Strange being mid months before too.

Since the internet got wind of the word "mid" every single film critisism lost at least 70% of its credibility 

25 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

How long do you think till its announced this is banned in some countries like Lightyear is

Probably soon. 

re: test screening info, I can fully believe varying reactions cause usually their sources are like a few people and if you get just handful of people’s opinion on just about anything it’ll be wildly different. I think the tea here said it was just one person’s reaction, while for accounts like vieweranon/BSL they tend to get more of a consensus. At least vieweranon was quite accurate about the JWD reaction even though people got mad at him for it lmao 

49 minutes ago, Jeight said:

No, we havent. Again one guy here vs multiple insiders who have said it tested positive.

Im starting to think sone of you isolate the things you want to isolate since it fits a certain narrative. Since when is a bot user an accurate source of test screenings?

Apparently he is, but not even him said it's bad or mixed.

He said the jokes aren't landing, that's pretty much it. Nothing that can't be quickly fixed, especially now that we know Taika shoot many variations of the same scenes and probably had more than 1 cut during editing. 

If the movie ended up being messy or something, which always can happen, it's not because of problems on test screenings. But yeah, people believe whatever they want.

17 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

All the recent realiable reports about test screenings for Thor was that they went extremelly well, Disney is dropping reactions 15 days before the release date, if they were unhappy with what Taika did, we would knew it for months like always happen when there's drama with MCU.

Kathleen Kennedy said Taika's SW movie is the priority of LF, even him is talking about it quite a lot recently, they're trying to release as fast as next year. 

This whole thing doesn't make any sense.

They did that for eternals and were really confident about it  and we'll the rest is history....

They are lifting the social media embargo on 23rd but review embargo 5th July.

Social media reactions tend to be more positive in nature and I don't think disney would be that afraid to put them out that early.

Personally don't think reviews will be as good as ragnarok  , thinking around GOTG 2 reviews.

Regarding SW . Have some trust in taika  but where my reservations are is LF bse his movie is set in high republic era which is basically new ground, there has to be creation of new characters, setting and LF which is so reactionary and fanservicy may not give him enough room to create and do his thing.

ST had the benefits of being in the skywalker saga ,this doesn't and solo bombing showed ST is not as a surefire success as before.

Even with jenkins spotty WW84 outing ,think rogue squadron was a safer bet  to get first out of the gate.

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

They did that for eternals and were really confident about it  and we'll the rest is history....

They are lifting the social media embargo on 23rd but review embargo 5th July.

Social media reactions tend to be more positive in nature and I don't think disney would be that afraid to put them out that early.

Personally don't think reviews will be as good as ragnarok  , thinking around GOTG 2 reviews.

Regarding SW . Have some trust in taika  but where my reservations are is LF bse his movie is set in high republic era which is basically new ground, there has to be creation of new characters, setting and LF which is so reactionary and fanservicy may not give him enough room to create and do his thing.

ST had the benefits of being in the skywalker saga ,this doesn't and solo bombing showed ST is not as a surefire success as before.

Even with jenkins spotty WW84 outing ,think rogue squadron was a safer bet  to get first out of the gate.

IIRC the Eternals rumor was not about test screenings (don’t think we ever got any info about tests for Eternals) but execs, kind of like the rumor that WB execs thought Man of Steel would be Best Picture worthy lol. Those reports are always a bit suspicious and I don’t think the leaker in question was in the vein of a vieweranon who knows the blockbuster genre well and how audiences would react. All we can go on is the fact that the test screening tea for Doctor Strange 2 was quite on point and they have been quite accurate for DC movies and JWD of late as well. Again one person’s opinion is kind of pointless for these things, people who have access to the wider reactions in test are verbally more reliable. 

And as for why Jenkin’s project got pushed back in favor of Waititi’s, I think WW84’s poor reaction was a part of it but also I think with SW film side’s bad PR with directors in the last few years they really want someone who’s reliable and can wrangle a huge production without issues. As far as we know, he’s managed both Thor films without an inkling of trouble (other than the threeway paparazzi drama lmao), actors love working with him, etc. The last thing they need is another director drama.