TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

19 minutes ago, M37 said:

Hmmm....

Can someone point me to the Thor L&T under JWD OW Club?

Bruh. That would be extremely disappointing. 

I've been lowering my expectations but if it goes under 155M...I would call it a disappointment. For Thor 4 ofc

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Time to fire Feige if this happens 🤮

So I’m only half-joking here, but a ~$26/$143 is plausible from where things stand now  

In all honesty, I think a fun, family-friendly, but not so spoilery/huge OW rush and therefore leggier release would be a good outcome for MCU … except the expected D+ release will be looming. So still fire Chapek 

Edited by M37

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

The person who should have been let go has had his contract extended already :-) if you make gazillion movies/D+ series plus put the movie on D+ in 45 days, I am not sure you can create the same anticipation unless you are an uber fan. 

You can. If there's anticipation, people will rush to see it. 

But we probably were thinking way to high of it. Reactions are good but not stellar. 

We maybe are seeing the rejection of the people who didn't like Ragnarok not even checking this out. 

Not to mention, the overall interest in the MCU has declined, unless you have nostalgia crap or Tobey and Andrew swinging around. 

If something, these shows leave people maybe wanting to go watch a MCU movie because of how mediocre they can be. Or maybe not. 

I don't think 45days it's a factor until it drops there. 

20 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Time to fire Feige if this happens 🤮

Tbh the better solution would be to perhaps cut down the 10 MCU per year strategy and do like 5 (3 movies, 2 shows) a year.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Tbh the better solution would be to perhaps cut down the 10 MCU per year strategy and do like 5 (3 movies, 2 shows) a year.

Everyone seems to love saying this but I just don’t see a shred of evidence that having fewer would somehow make them do better.

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

The person who should have been let go has had his contract extended already 🙂 if you make gazillion movies/D+ series plus put the movie on D+ in 45 days, I am not sure you can create the same anticipation unless you are an uber fan. 

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

So I’m only half-joking here, but a ~$26/$143 is plausible from where things stand now  

In all honesty, I think a fun, family-friendly, but not so spoilery/huge OW rush and therefore leggier release would be a good outcome for MCU … except the expected D+ release will be looming. So still fire Chapek 

It's weird people blame Chapek for all this, when Iger was the guy who started the domino effect. He was the guy who wanted to make a Disney streaming service. He was the guy who wanted a bajillion Marvel shows. He was the guy who forced Papa Feige to put out 5 shows and 4 movies a year. He's the guy who basically stretched Feige thin when it comes to quality control, since 5 shows and 4 movies in one year, all coming out week after week, meant there was going to be issues with overseeing everything. He was the guy who made a service that makes people wait until it's home to save money.

Obvs Chapek is not helping things, but Iger was the guy who made Disney movies no longer special in theaters and diluted their golden goose. Just sayin'.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Everyone seems to love saying this but I just don’t see a shred of evidence that having fewer would somehow make them do better.

Better quality control for Feige, less dilution of the brand, thus movies and shows being more eventized. Seems like the big three.

• Like 1

Just now, Eric the Minion said:

It's weird people blame Chapek for all this, when Iger was the guy who started the domino effect. He was the guy who wanted to make a Disney streaming service. He was the guy who wanted a bajillion Marvel shows. He was the guy who forced Papa Feige to put out 5 shows and 4 movies a year. He's the guy who basically stretched Feige thin when it comes to quality control, since 5 shows and 4 movies in one year, all coming out week after week, meant there was going to be issues with overseeing everything. He was the guy who made a service that makes people wait until it's home to save money.

Obvs Chapek is not helping things, but Iger was the guy who made Disney movies no longer special in theaters and diluted their golden goose. Just sayin'.

I agree. People act like if it was Iger, we would be getting less shows. Or that they would have been better. 

Let's not forget that there's still the... I'm not well nformed on it but there's still all the post or vfx backload because of the pandemic. 

6 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

The problem is that you can’t have both high volume of content and maintain high anticipation for theatrical releases, which is necessary for the shot window plan to “work” (and also creates a more fan-heavy theatrical audience, raising bar on expectations)

Yeah, I’d agree that’s it’s more fair to say Disney became impatient, sacrificing long term gain for shot term growth. But the guy in charge now seems to pushing it further rather than pulling back, so he’s going to get the blame 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

The problem is that you can’t have both high volume of content and maintain high anticipation for theatrical releases

But like… you probably could. If the quality is high the hype will follow.

(and for that matter, if the quality isn’t there, slowrolling content drops isn’t going to magically recapture hype)

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 2

These shows need to go. They can do some, but come on, Armor Wars? Hawkeye? What If? 

Not only it's useless but also can get people exhausted of so many projects at once. 

If Thor ended up with just 130M or so OW i think it's time to Feige rethink these shows, because there's no reason for this to sell less tickets than Ragnarok.

With that said, i think some people is freaking out over nothing for Thor, presales are very good, they never was supposed to compete with DS2 which is the only way the numbers can look a bit disappointing. The key for this movie will be the final week like for all movies that isn't hype juggernauts like NWH / DS2. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Disregarding the quality control issue I talked about earlier and my own anecdotal experiences for myself and others, when there's too much of a thing, even if it's the best thing ever, it's no longer special or exciting anymore. Still can be fun of course, but not the exciting thing it once was. That's a fact with everything. Going out to a fancy restaurant is fun, because you only go there on special occasions. Heading to the McDonald's drive-thru isn't fun, because you go there every time you don't feel like cooking. Disneyland is an incredible experience when you go every couple of years, but a passholder basically complains about everything related to the park because they go there all the time. Video game series like Call of Duty were the biggest thing ever a decade ago, but now that they put out a new game every year, while still selling tons, you never hear people talking about it like they were in the Black Ops/Modern Warfare days. It's not the hip new thing anymore, because we're all used to it everywhere we go.

When you have 5 shows and 4 movies a year in just one franchise, that's about...what, a third of the year with MCU media? That's a huge chunk of a year just on Marvel. A huge chunk where people will you see Marvel stuff, watch promos, see people argue about it on Twitter, etc. Even when it was only three movies, you had a couple months of breathing room where Marvel wasn't in the conversation. But now, you can't even discourse about a Marvel thing, because everybody's moved on to talking about the next Marvel thing. And I know every time I say this I get the whole "WELL YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH THESE SHOWS. NOT EVERYBODY WATCHES ALL THE MOVIES", but that doesn't fix anything. You're still getting forcefed all this content down your throat through promos and tweets and billboards. So if you want to avoid or ignore the stuff you don't care about...you can't do that. And sure, you can argue that if maybe the movies or shows were better, then it wouldn't be a problem, and that there are numerous. But outside of the fact that there is almost never one defining factor, the overexposure is still a huge problem. I love Seinfeld, but if there were spin-offs about George and Newman and J. Peterman, and they were just as hilarious, I wouldn't be happy. I would just be tired of seeing nothing but Seinfeld. And I feel confident in saying I would not be alone on this.

And if you want me to use actual media examples of overexposure hurting somebody, though I know these are far from perfect and not 1:1, here's just two big ones. Back in the day, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire was the biggest thing ever. It was this massive gameshow phenomenon with over 30 million viewers tuning in. Then it started airing five nights a week, the ratings plummeted because everybody was sick of it, and the primetime version was canceled not long after. People were sick of it being on every single day. And it's not like there was an issue with quality control. It's a game show, and everybody loves Regis Philbin.

Dreamworks Animation were rivaling Disney back in the day, but when they started venturing into TV and having cartoons on Nickelodeon, stuff like Kung Fu Panda 2 drastically underperformed, because you can just watch Kung Fu Panda on TV, and the studio dealt with diminishing returns until Katzenberg had to sell it to Universal, and they are still far below the totem pole when it comes to animation studios at the box office. Sony Animation is arguably on better footing than Dreamworks. I'm sure you can make arguments about other issues these properties had, but saying overexposure was totes not a factor for their downfalls has to be a reach. So yeah, if these Disney+ shows never happened, I think there would be a lot more excitement and better grosses for Widow or Shang-Chi or Strange 2 or even Eternals.

• Like 6

I strongly disagreement but no need to go in circles too much more I suppose.

So far in phase 4 the A or better received movies have done quite well for themself, and as long as that continues I don’t think there’s much ground to see that the brand has been hurt or diluted or noneventized or whatever. The power of the MCU throughout the first 3 phases was consistent quality leading to consistent success and interest, and insofar as the franchise might be said to be in a weak spot right now I think the past 3 movies having a B and B+ are a far bigger issue than some medium shows.  

If we’re back here in a year and most of the next 4 or 5 movies have underwhelmed despite getting As, then I’ll reassess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric the Minion said:

Disregarding the quality control issue I talked about earlier and my own anecdotal experiences for myself and others, when there's too much of a thing, even if it's the best thing ever, it's no longer special or exciting anymore. Still can be fun of course, but not the exciting thing it once was. That's a fact with everything. Going out to a fancy restaurant is fun, because you only go there on special occasions. Heading to the McDonald's drive-thru isn't fun, because you go there every time you don't feel like cooking. Disneyland is an incredible experience when you go every couple of years, but a passholder basically complains about everything related to the park because they go there all the time. Video game series like Call of Duty were the biggest thing ever a decade ago, but now that they put out a new game every year, while still selling tons, you never hear people talking about it like they were in the Black Ops/Modern Warfare days. It's not the hip new thing anymore, because we're all used to it everywhere we go.

When you have 5 shows and 4 movies a year in just one franchise, that's about...what, a third of the year with MCU media? That's a huge chunk of a year just on Marvel. A huge chunk where people will you see Marvel stuff, watch promos, see people argue about it on Twitter, etc. Even when it was only three movies, you had a couple months of breathing room where Marvel wasn't in the conversation. But now, you can't even discourse about a Marvel thing, because everybody's moved on to talking about the next Marvel thing. And I know every time I say this I get the whole "WELL YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH THESE SHOWS. NOT EVERYBODY WATCHES ALL THE MOVIES", but that doesn't fix anything. You're still getting forcefed all this content down your throat through promos and tweets and billboards. So if you want to avoid or ignore the stuff you don't care about...you can't do that. And sure, you can argue that if maybe the movies or shows were better, then it wouldn't be a problem, and that there are numerous. But outside of the fact that there is almost never one defining factor, the overexposure is still a huge problem. I love Seinfeld, but if there were spin-offs about George and Newman and J. Peterman, and they were just as hilarious, I wouldn't be happy. I would just be tired of seeing nothing but Seinfeld. And I feel confident in saying I would not be alone on this.

And if you want me to use actual media examples of overexposure hurting somebody, though I know these are far from perfect and not 1:1, here's just two big ones. Back in the day, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire was the biggest thing ever. It was this massive gameshow phenomenon with over 30 million viewers tuning in. Then it started airing five nights a week, the ratings plummeted because everybody was sick of it, and the primetime version was canceled not long after. People were sick of it being on every single day. And it's not like there was an issue with quality control. It's a game show, and everybody loves Regis Philbin.

Dreamworks Animation were rivaling Disney back in the day, but when they started venturing into TV and having cartoons on Nickelodeon, stuff like Kung Fu Panda 2 drastically underperformed, because you can just watch Kung Fu Panda on TV, and the studio dealt with diminishing returns until Katzenberg had to sell it to Universal, and they are still far below the totem pole when it comes to animation studios at the box office. Sony Animation is arguably on better footing than Dreamworks. I'm sure you can make arguments about other issues these properties had, but saying overexposure was totes not a factor for their downfalls has to be a reach. So yeah, if these Disney+ shows never happened, I think there would be a lot more excitement and better grosses for Widow or Shang-Chi or Strange 2 or even Eternals.

I grow up with MCU and i'm tired of parts of it. 

I'm still very excited for projects from directors i like, this Thor or GOTG3 for example.

Other than that, every release feel it's just one more in a sea of excesses. I understand tastes change especially between 11 and 25 years which is my case, but still i wasn't feeling this way when WandaVision drops. 

I watched What If feeling obligated and i gave up, never watched Hawkeye, wait several weeks to watch Moon Knight, still didn't press play for Ms Marvel. 

Beyond that, there's obviously quality shaking, Feige can't do the same quality control for 15 projects simultaneosly the way he used to do for 4 movies or so.

And again, i was a fan kid and grew up with this things. If i'm feeling tired, i can easily see this becoming a big problem for more casual audiences.

• Like 1