eddyxx

The Fantastic Four - First Steps | Marvel Studios | July 25, 2025 | Matt Shakman directs

On 8/3/2024 at 4:33 PM, ZattMurdock said:

Giacchino is a god.

Still plesently surprised he found time to do this score given how busy he must be with his "THEM!" remake.

It's good though a little too close to the stuff he did for Lightyear if I had to nitpick.

Overall this has the most breakout potential out of the MCU films next year. If nothing else the futuristic 60s vibe should make it stand out already 

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

It does give me a Tomorrowland vibe. The theme park, not the movie.

That's what I thought. Infact, I feel this may become the Tomorrowland of 2025. An overly hyped movie which ends up disappointing everyone and bombs. 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 4

16 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

That's what I thought. Infact, I feel this may become the Tomorrowland of 2025. An overly hyped movie which ends up disappointing everyone and bombs. 

I'm inclined to agree. There's like 7 credited writers on this. Director is unproven. All three previous Fantastic Four movies flopped compared to their X-Men contemporaries.

And this is competing against Superman, unless they move the release date.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

I'm inclined to agree. There's like 7 credited writers on this. Director is unproven. All three previous Fantastic Four movies flopped compared to their X-Men contemporaries.

Superman is releasing 2 weeks before. People are over exaggerating the competition. Supes is in a worse position with Jurrasic.

Also Shakman has already made and worked with Marvel specifically making a period piece. A damn successful one at that. He’s as proven as it gets. Only worry is his resume is mainly tv. Not to mention this Feige favorite child. He’s going to be all over it. 

People are going to so surprised when this movie knocks it out the park, People love it and it does a great 700M+ at the box office. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Avatree said:

How is Shakman unproven? Homecoming, the last MCU reboot, had 6 writers and turned out just fine. The first 2 Fox Fantastic Four movies didn't flop, in fact, they did better for their budget than the last 4 Superman movies.

The setting of this could be a draw a la Pandora, if done right and not rushed to make July date

Kinda wish they stay in their world for a sequel instead of going to the generic boring 616

32 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I disagree on the director part. Shakman has a way with dysfunctional families. 

The amount of writers is worrying but deadpool and wolverine had 5 writers one of which was Zeb Wells. That film should have failed. But it's a massive success 

Shakman seems to be carrying over a lot of crew from WandaVision. Cameron Squires co-wrote with Josh Friedman on the script (they were also working together with Matt Shakman's on Star Trek), and there's also Peter Cameron doing some work. Jess Hall as DP too.

3 hours ago, Reddroast said:

I disagree on the director part. Shakman has a way with dysfunctional families. 

The amount of writers is worrying but deadpool and wolverine had 5 writers one of which was Zeb Wells. That film should have failed. But it's a massive success 

That, and the he handled the "Retro" sitcom scenes in "Wandavision" is what got him the job. Though, come to thnk of it, Wandavisio has apretty disfunctional family also.

And that is the main thing about the classci Fantastic Four. They are often disfunctional, they fight all the time, both Johnny and Ben have walked out on occasion, but the family is reall threatened they all come together.

Reed is the often impatient father,

Sue is the mother,

Johnny is the young kid who often has a too high opinion of himself,

and Ben is the grumpy uncle.

3 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Shakman seems to be carrying over a lot of crew from WandaVision. Cameron Squires co-wrote with Josh Friedman on the script (they were also working together with Matt Shakman's on Star Trek), and there's also Peter Cameron doing some work. Jess Hall as DP too.

SOP for a lot of directors to like to work with the same people. A lot of the great ones, from John Ford to David Lean to Stephan Spielberg to Chris Nolan have a core of people they hire whenever possible.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

That, and the he handled the "Retro" sitcom scenes in "Wandavision" is what got him the job. Though, come to thnk of it, Wandavisio has apretty disfunctional family also.

And that is the main thing about the classci Fantastic Four. They are often disfunctional, they fight all the time, both Johnny and Ben have walked out on occasion, but the family is reall threatened they all come together.

Reed is the often impatient father,

Sue is the mother,

Johnny is the young kid who often has a too high opinion of himself,

and Ben is the grumpy uncle.

Matt shakman has directed 43 episodes of its always sunny. That is the epitome of the dysfunctional family 

• Like 1