The Best Years of Our Lives Poster

Number of lists: 5

Year: 1946

Director: William Wyler

First place votes: 0

Top 5 (2-5): 1

Top 10 (6-10): 0

Average position: 19.6

A film that unites this board and the Oscars in admiration. 31st here, and winning all the Oscars, including two acting awards for the same guy in the same role somehow. Been meaning to see this, but somehow didn't get around to it.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/49047/6-non-actors-who-won-oscars-their-acting

Harold Russell - Best Supporting Actor, The Best Years of Our Lives, 1947

Harold Russell was a Canadian-born World War II army veteran who lost both hands in a training accident. At Walter Reed Army Hospital, he was given the option of two plastic hands or two hooks. Russell choose the hooks, and mastered them so well that he was selected to make an instructional military film, Diary of a Sergeant, which showed others without limbs how to go about daily tasks. Director William Wyler saw it and was inspired to cast him for his drama about the lives of a trio of veterans coming home from the war called The Best Years of Our Lives.

Russell was nominated for an Oscar, but because the Academy didn't think he'd win it competitively, they awarded him an Honorary Award for his bravery in showing others the lives of war veterans. To their surprise, Russell did win the Best Supporting Oscar. 

After winning the Oscar, Wyler advised him to return to his studies at Boston University because there weren't many roles for handless actors. Russell got a degree in business in 1949. He would later write a bestselling book about his recovery as a veteran. Mr. Russell was also appointed to President Kennedy's Committee on the Employment and the Handicapped and was reappointed by both Johnson and Nixon.

• Like 3

Stagecoach

Stagecoach Poster

Number of lists: 6

Year: 1939

Director: John Ford

Top 10 (6-10): 2

Average position: 16

Really? this is the mediocre western is the one you rocket up this list? Not the great Ox-Bow with its 0 votes other than myself? :whosad:

Edited by Tower
  • Like 7
  • Disbelief 1

The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Poster

Number of lists: 9

Year: 1948

Director: John Huston

Top 10 (6-10): 2

Average position: 31

Much better, this is a great western the deserves its spot. If you haven't seen it, do so now.

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Tower said:

Really? this is the mediocre western is the one you rocket up this list? Not the great Ox-Bow with its 0 votes other than myself?

Hell Yeah.

It was the first time John Ford shot in Monument Valley.  It was the first John Ford and John Wayne Collab.  It's basically the film that MADE John Wayne's career.  Like of of Ford's work -- with the expectation of his masterpiece The Searchers -- it probably dated for modern audiences.  But it ranks so high because it came First, and all of those better Westerns owe a debt to it.  

Also, again, The Searchers is in color, so, couldn't God Warrior for that one.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Hell Yeah.

It was the first time John Ford shot in Monument Valley.  It was the first John Ford and John Wayne Collab.  It's basically the film that MADE John Wayne's career.  Like of of Ford's work -- with the expectation of his masterpiece The Searchers -- it probably dated for modern audiences.  But it ranks so high because it came First, and all of those better Westerns owe a debt to it.  

Also, again, The Searchers is in color, so, couldn't God Warrior for that one.

Agreed.  Look at all the films that have been inspired and or borrowed from it -  from one of the segments from Buster Scruggs of a collection of oddballs stuck in a stage coach to  Indiana Jones recreating Yakima Canutt's stagecoach stunt

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

(For the record, that's not a knock on Tower, who I think has legitimately done a great job with this list and deserves full credit for his hard work.) 

33 minutes ago, Tower said:

Stagecoach

Really? this is the mediocre western is the one you rocket up this list? Not the great Ox-Bow with its 0 votes other than myself? :whosad:

I take everything nice I said back. You're a terrible person and you should feel bad.

Edited by rukaio101
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Should I feel embarrassed/ashamed to consider myself a fan of film but have only seen one or two black and white films?

How to judge later movies for e.g. their uniqueness / freshness /... if not knowing what came before?

How to judge actors abilities, see the different styles.... without knowing where the styles come from, without having seen some of the best performances ever caught on film?

How....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tower said:

including two acting awards for the same guy in the same role somehow. 

That's inaccurate. You might be thinking of Going My Way where Barry Fitzgerald was nominated for the same role in both Lead and Supporting.

EDIT: Ah you were talking about the Honorary Oscar. I don't really count that as "winning" an award so I overlooked that

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

Should I feel embarrassed/ashamed to consider myself a fan of film but have only seen one or two black and white films?

Just watch more of them if you're interested and don't kick yourself over things that aren't worth it.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I hope you guys don't mind me reacting to every single one of the posts in this thread.

Gold Account.  UNLIMITED POWER.  (I'm honestly doing the same.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

I hope you guys don't mind me reacting to every single one of the posts in this thread.

51 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Gold Account.  UNLIMITED POWER.  (I'm honestly doing the same.)

And just caught up.  I do the same on Top lists I read as well as reviews of the year.  Reward people for the hard work, I reckon.

---

I didn't submit a list (I just find it too much work to do and I respect the hell out of people who have the time/mental fortitude to be able to actually rank all their favs) so I was pleased to see the excellent The Manchurian Candidate on this list. As well as so many other great films.

But I have to say, if I don't see Young Frankenstein on this list (and given that we're in the Top 30 now, I kinda doubt it'll show up), all I have to say is:

8 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

computer rage GIF

You all failed, BOT

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

But I have to say, if I don't see Young Frankenstein on this list (and given that we're in the Top 30 now, I kinda doubt it'll show up), all I have to say is:

I have greater faith in that than in The 400 Blows.

• Like 1