Eric Duncan

Malignant | September 10 2021 | A James Wan Horror Joint

The RT score and walk out talks make me think that this is some sort of A24 type weird film.

But this was just another violent horror film, that's what I am trying to say. The Indian reception of 81% BMS score seems about right after seeing it.

But then India gets James Wan, he has best track record for any Hollywood director in recent years.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The RT score and walk out talks make me think that this is some sort of A24 type weird film.

But then India gets James Wan, he has best track record for any Hollywood director in recent years.

A24 is a comparison I haven’t heard yet. I don’t see that at all. A24 haven’t done something this camp, expensive and flashy.

It’s also unlike any other James Wan film lol. 

42 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don´t know where you´re seeing horror movies with this type of camp, body horror scenes etc so often, to me they´re very rare these days. I guess we have to agreed on disagreed.

I am not a horror type, but South India does make really violent B horror films. I vaguely remember something of similar note, but not exactly. Asked my friend who is a horror nerd to tell which one after he watch it.

• Like 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

I am not a horror type, but South India does make really violent B horror films. I vaguely remember something of similar note, but not exactly. Asked my friend who is a horror nerd to tell which one after he watch it.

I’m glad to hear it managed to get a proper release in India. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I’m glad to hear it managed to get a proper release in India. 

Yeah but even I didn't know it was James Wan movie until yesterday, so buzz is low. 

It is getting good occupancies in South India smaller centres where horror genre does well. Light's Out and Don't Breathe ran really well in 2016 in South India.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

A24 is a comparison I haven’t heard yet. I don’t see that at all. A24 haven’t done something this camp, expensive and flashy.

A24 gets this people walking out, low RT audience score, F cinemascore stuff.

So I thought may be this was a weird movie but seem to me as regular ordinary horror movie with violence.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

A24 gets this people walking out, low RT audience score, F cinemascore stuff.

So I thought may be this was a weird movie but seem to me as regular ordinary horror movie with violence.

That’s certainly a unique take you have on it. 

I’ve decided to give it a 3/5. 

Because I don’t know whether to give it a 2 or a 4 lol. Great score and gore, it’s unique, great references to Giallo and beautifully shot and framed. Also goofy and cheesy, but it’s all intentional I’m sure. 

I love that it’s getting so much discussion from horror fans on Twitter. It’s certainly something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Did he remember the name of the movie? I´m curious to watch. I didn´t know these type of movies are common in India, distribution of Indian movies where i live is really awful so is rare seeing them, even the most known.

31 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’ve decided to give it a 3/5. 

Because I don’t know whether to give it a 2 or a 4 lol. Great score and gore, it’s unique, great references to Giallo and beautifully shot and framed. Also goofy and cheesy, but it’s all intentional I’m sure. 

I love that it’s getting so much discussion from horror fans on Twitter. It’s certainly something. 

Yeah, is refreshing seeing a horror movie making people excited to enter discussions, these days most horror movies from big studios come and go and nobody really cares to talk about them.

Is being discussed at Letterboxd too and reception there are actually pretty good for a movie like this, 3,2/5, and people there are way harder on movies than the usual IMDB / RT voters since is more of a cinephile app.

25 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Did he remember the name of the movie? I´m curious to watch. I didn´t know these type of movies are common in India, distribution of Indian movies where i live is really awful so is rare seeing them, even the most known.

He will watch it later tonight. Not similar but Gabriel reminded me of this character from 2006 movie Anniyan. Couldn't find any other video with subs.

• Thanks 1

Having now slept on it, I think I actually genuinely liked this. The first hour is tedious and by the numbers (which is exactly what the trailer sold), but the last half definitely redeems it and actually makes you look back at the events of that initial hour in a completely different light.

Spoiler

Especially the bit where the douchey husband/boyfriend slams the back of her head into the wall. No wonder Gabriel was pissed.

As soon as the big reveal happens, it’s just fun all the way to the credits.

• Like 2

Yeah, it was one weird film. I genuinely dislike The Conjuring/Insidious/Annabelle type of movies, so I'd never watch it if it was one of them, but after those intriguing reviews claiming that marketing was a lie and it was something else completely, I decided to give it a chance. 1st act was kind of garbage, exactly The Conjuring/Insidious type of movie I hate, 6 or 7 people left the movie before anything interesting actually began, I don't blame them, but right after shitty part the movie gets interesting and third act was just insane, so it saved the film. I wouldn't call it a good movie, but second half was interesting to watch at least. And I honestly didn't think it was nearly as campy as people say, I expected Evil Dead 2 or bad Nightmare On The Elm Street sequels type of camp, but it felt like the movie was actually filmed with a straight face, but then they intentionally (I guess) added the most out of place songs/music possible in post-production and some dialogues/acting were really bad which was intentional in this I guess?

6.5/10 from me.

Edited by Firepower