Eric Duncan

Malignant | September 10 2021 | A James Wan Horror Joint

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

:insane::ohmygod::ohmyzod::sarah:

That was legitimately one of the most insane and memorable moviegoing experiences I think I'll ever have. @ViewerAnonwas not kidding at all. It's a fairly solid horror film for the first two acts. Nothing outstanding, but still a spooky time. And then the twist hits... Holy fucking shit. That's all I'll say for now.

If you want to see this film, then do so as blind as you can. I'll always wonder how the fuck this got made by a major Hollywood studio like Warner.

Haha great! I know nothing, so I’m excited for Friday night! 

Still kind of unsure if I'll love it, because Wan's films all kind of fall under a "that was nice I guess" for me, but I'm glad that reviews and reactions here indicate that Wan was allowed to play with his toys. Dude knows how to make some inventive setpieces when he's left alone and hopefully the parts of the screenplay that lead into these moments are actually worthwhile.

7 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well The reactions seems... Great? LOL.

Of course it's just reactions but maybe the movie won't be the panned mess it was expected.

Yeah, I expected like D cinemascore/30% RT level from the test screening reactions and buried marketing. But these are very good (even for typically hyperbolic twitter reviews)

• Like 1

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah, I expected like D cinemascore/30% RT level from the test screening reactions and buried marketing. But these are very good (even for typically hyperbolic twitter reviews)

I still inclined to think it will be rotten, but more diviside than panned, so around 50% instead of 25%

But yeah if reviews follow the reactions maybe even a fresh can happen in the low 60's

But from audiences i still think it will be bad because they sell a haunted house movie.

From The Hollywood Reporter

Malignant, director James Wan’s much anticipated return to the horror genre, has scored a rare day-and-date streaming release in China.

The film will launch on Chinese streaming channels on Friday, Sept. 10, the same day it debuts in U.S. cinemas and over HBO Max. Chinese film financier Starlight Media, which co-produced the film with Wan’s Atomic Monster and New Line Cinema, made the arrangements for the online Chinese outing.

5 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

So it won't be in actual theaters though?

Yeah sorry, my post was misleading. Going to stream on a few video platforms there.

Starlight partnered with prominent Chinese digital distributor Jetsen Huashi on the release. Starlight’s Beverly Hills-based CEO Peter Luo negotiated the arrangements with Jetsen’s Beijing-based chief executive Tonggang Chen.

Malignant will stream in China simultaneously on the video platforms of six major internet companies and telecoms, including iQiyi, Huawei, China Mobile, China Unicom, China Telecom and China Broadcast Network.

Starlight’s relationship with Wan stretches back to 2016, when the Hong Kong-listed company made its first splash in Hollywood by signing a development deal with the in-demand director and his Atomic Monster banner. Malignant is the first major project to emerge from that partnership, with Starlight positioned as the film’s lead investor.

Based on an original story by Wan, Ingrid Bisu and Akela Cooper, Malignant stars Wallis as Madison, a woman paralyzed by shocking visions of grisly murders, which she soon discovers are actually shocking realities. Maddie Hasson, George Young and Michole Briana White co-star.

Malignant debuted in 24 markets last weekend, representing 38 percent of the business, for a total international cume of $2.4 million on 1,893 screens. An additional 45 markets are scheduled to open Friday, including North America, Russia, the U.K. and Latin America.