baumer

Hobbs and Shaw (2019)

Grade it  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

good fun, my favourite of the series.

First act is hilarious. Really really good. Rock/Statham insulting each other is great. 

Second act dips a bit with all the action kinda gets a little dull in places / drags.

Third act is top form, when they have the "battle" and the bad guys guns disable, and all the Samoan guys charge with their spears and hammers, really made me feel like shouting and cheering. I wasn't expecting a set up of a new family but it works way better than it has in previous films.

This one really leans into the ridiculous nature of the series and pokes fun at itself.

Major complaint: the really jarring terrible greenscreen throughout the entire film. 70% of the film is clearly shot on green screen and it's done BADLY, I have seen better youtubers do green screen stuff. It's super awkward and this is any time they're outdoors. all of the car action, fighting etc. has awful obvious screen behind them.

The family house looks so clearly like a set with green screen it looks shite. Funny moment when they're standing on a mountain and camera is showing beautiful valley, and the green screen is clearly right in front of their faces.

I don't normally criticise this stuff but its terrible in this film. 

Also funny ADR where Hobbs mum is shouting and it's echoing.... even though they're outdoors.

One word to describe it - Fun

Rock & Statham showed why they were the best thing in FF8. They weren't together much in that movie but they were in this one and they were riot together.

Movie was as crazy as trailers promised. Totally entertained by it. Set up a sequel too, can't wait for it, bring it on.

And one question - WHERE WAS OWEN?? 

15 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Rock & Statham showed why they were the best thing in FF8. They weren't together much in that movie but they were in this one and they were riot together.

Movie was as crazy as trailers promised. Totally entertained by it. Set up a sequel too, can't wait for it, bring it on.

Uh... dead? ie. the reason Deckard comes after the crew in the first place...?

10 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Uh... dead? ie. the reason Deckard comes after the crew in the first place...?

Owen survived Fast 6. He is clearly alive at the end of the movie, Fast 7 begins with Deckard visiting Owen in the hospital (he is in a coma), and then Owen shows up in Fast 8 to help Deckard assault the plane and save the baby.

• Like 4

I liked this film and found it to be an entertaining Formulaic summer blockbuster. The banter between the two stars was humorous and the action scenes were well choreographed. 

I did find some of the action scenes laughable, for example when characters are not wearing seat belts during high speed chases involving jumps. There was so much unrealistic action needed to allow the film to show us an exciting never-seen-before summer action scene that I couldn't suspend my disbelief in order to get sucked in to the action. I enjoyed laughing at this and still came away pleased. I bet it will make money, and have a sequel.  

Note to studio. Have Ryan Renolds' character visit the same bar used in Deadpool. You can even put Hobbs and Shaw on someone's pool to be killed on the chalkboard for an amazing easter egg. 

Pains me to say this but I was bored senseless. It got exactly one chuckle out of me ("That was my phone.") and the injection of F&F FAMILY HEART later in the film was a big dud. Reynolds was amusing enough during his first scene but the extended Kevin Hart riff on the plane went on and on to the point of NEXT SCENE ALREADY. Between this and F8, I don't know about my passion for this series anymore. Maybe I should've quit when I left F7 weeping. 

Plenty of Vanessa Kirby, though. That worked for me. And Rob Delaney. I'll give it those two points.

I couldn't ask for anything more from a summer blockbuster except they could have trimmed a good 15-30 minutes. If it was tightened up I would give it an A+. As it is, i'll give it a strong B+... everything was ridiculous and it was AWESOME. Best moments were Kevin Hart out of nowhere and when The Rock was holding the helicopter with the chain 🤣.

Edited by glassfairy

Hmmm it's about a C+ or so. It's not bad but this isn't really a Familia movie and separates a bit too far from that for my liking. It's a lot more mean spirited than any of the Fast films as two testosterone filled boys make a bunch of dick jokes, which is the type of humor that the Fast films don't typically do overtly (might be forgetting a Tyrese joke somewhere). For about an hour it was manageable but then it wears thin. But, Vanessa Kirby is great. There's some fun sequences, however stupid they may be. The whole Samoa part is a dud, and somehow stretches credulity despite all before it. But you're not gonna tell me  Cliff Curtis, a car mechanic is the only guy who can fix this extraction tool designed for biological weapons.

ALSO NOT ONE MENTION OF OWEN, THE SUPERIOR SHAW VILLAIN

On 8/3/2019 at 10:18 AM, THUNDER BIRD said:

The Owen thing was confusing as hell. Deckard said he was forced to kill his brother by Brixton but that makes no sense unless there is a third brother. Owen otherwise is never mentioned. 

24 minutes ago, Frozen said:

The Owen thing was confusing as hell. Deckard said he was forced to kill his brother by Brixton but that makes no sense unless there is a third brother. Owen otherwise is never mentioned. 

I think by brother he was referring to Brixton being a brother. 

• Like 3

On 8/4/2019 at 10:50 AM, MrPink said:

But you're not gonna tell me  Cliff Curtis, a car mechanic is the only guy who can fix this extraction tool designed for biological weapons. 

But Cliff Curtis can do anything

A pure "leave your brain at the door and enjoy" summer action pic with plenty of the exciting set pieces we've come to expect from a Fast & Furious movie (certainly the one where they go to space can't be far off, right?). The plot completely falls apart once you give it any thought and it definitely feels too long at 2 1/4 hours, but I was too busy alternating between immensely enjoying and wanting to laugh out loud at everything unfolding on the screen to really care too much, as it takes the series in a creative direction where Vin Diesel isn't missed. Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham are every bit the dynamic screen duo as imagined on paper while Vanessa Kirby solidifies herself as a badass heroine as an equally important third member, but Idris Elba is unfortunately wasted in a generic bad guy role despite a cool set up (also really enjoyed Ryan Reynolds' extended cameo a ton, but Kevin Hart's bits fell flat and I must admit I was disappointed Luke Evans couldn't make an appearance, especially for that family reunion scene between Statham, Kirby, and Helen Mirren in the end credits). If you're looking for substance, you're at the wrong movie: this is a slickly made piece of cinematic junk food and works as such. B-

8 hours ago, Frozen said:

Also lol at them trying to pretend there’s like a 4 year age difference between Jason and Vanessa. He’s old enough to be her dad. 

yeah I didn't understand how Vanessa Kirby and Jason Statham are meant to be the same age. Is she meant to be in her 40s or he meant to be in his 30s?

Tries too hard to be funny and ridiculous whereas the Fast movies are awesome because they are funny and ridiculous without trying too hard (except F8, which was also disappointing). The four stars are all in great form and its worth watching for that but it never finds another gear. Too much overly riffy wink-wink stuff for me from a Fast movie, right down to the insufferable Ryan Reynolds schtick that seems to wear off on the whole movie.