Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Captain America: Civil War and The Jungle Book up to around £32.5m and £39.3m, respectively, in the UK.

That would be around a £2.7m 3rd weekend for CW. That's a very poor result after it plummeted last weekend. Over 40% drop this weekend, even with cooler weather, £40m might even be a struggle now, especially with X-men on Wednesday. I don't get why this is falling so hard everywhere. After it's huge opening, the rest of its run has been very boring. Total around IM3 seems likely.

Nice for TJB though, it looks like it'll end up beating CW in the end, probably heading for  somewhere between £43-45m ($62-65m) right now. Amazing run.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

It won't. BvS had 2 weeks of school holidays, CW has had none. It will be around £35m next Sunday, there's no way it doesn't top £37m. There's a bank holiday weekend coming up week after next, and half term also starts then, 

so it should get near £40m.

Gotta think about how badly X-Men might hurt it this weekend, and potentially Alice the weekend after. While I don't think Alice will be close to as strong as the first one, something tells me it'll grab a solid £6m on opening weekend, and take even more screens from CW. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Gotta think about how badly X-Men might hurt it this weekend, and potentially Alice the weekend after. While I don't think Alice will be close to as strong as the first one, something tells me it'll grab a solid £6m on opening weekend, and take even more screens from CW. 

Civil War will lose screens not just from Alice but also Warcraft and TMNT2 on the Monday.

9 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Holy shit! The 6 screen cinema I used to go to on the coast is dumping Civil War after Thursday, and handing 4 screens to X-Men! I've never EVER seen a marvel movie get canned that quickly there! 

The Apocalypse begins. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Holy shit! The 6 screen cinema I used to go to on the coast is dumping Civil War after Thursday, and handing 4 screens to X-Men! I've never EVER seen a marvel movie get canned that quickly there! 

4 seems excessive, it'll do well but not that well. 

What are people expecting for X-Men? There have been quite a few big films recently, I'm not sure people will be wanting to spend more money on another film so soon. Having said that, I do still expect between £8-9m 5 day, which would be just below DoFP's £9.14m, although that was a 4 day opening. It did however open on a bank holiday weekend, which would have given it a boost. Its 5 day with the Monday was £11.6m.

Edited by Heretic

6 hours ago, Heretic said:

What are people expecting for X-Men? There have been quite a few big films recently, I'm not sure people will be wanting to spend more money on another film so soon. Having said that, I do still expect between £8-9m 5 day, which would be just below DoFP's £9.14m, although that was a 4 day opening. It did however open on a bank holiday weekend, which would have given it a boost. Its 5 day with the Monday was £11.6m.

I'm feeling like this could go anywhere tbh. Buzz feels muted compared to DOFP when it comes to the Net community, but for real people maybe Deadpool could reinvigorate interest in the main franchise as well. All I know is that I'm looking forward to seeing it at midnight. Just a shame our IMAX screen is still closed :angry:

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Captain America: Civil War (Disney) $4m (£2.8m) $46.2m (£32.15m)
2 The Angry Birds Movie (Sony) $3.1m (£2.15m) $3.1m (£2.15m)
3 The Jungle Book(Disney) $2.3m (£1.6m) $56.4m (£39.3m)
4 Bad Neighbours 2(Universal) $1.6m (£1.1m) $5.4m (£3.73m)
5 Florence Foster Jenkins (Fox) $659,000 (£459,234) $2.7m (£1.88m)

DISNEY

Captain America: Civil War has become the third film this year to record a hat-trick at the top of the UK box office.

Marvel’s latest fell 42% with a $4m (£2.8m) third weekend for $46.2m (£32.15m) after 17 days in play. It is now the fourth-biggest Marvel outing behind Iron Man 3’s $53.1m (£37m).

In terms of 2016 superhero outings, Civil War is currently still tracking behind Batman v Superman which stood at $47.8m (£33.3m) at the same stage, but is ahead ofDeadpool which had amassed $44.7m (£31.15m).

How Civil War copes with the arrival of X-Men: Apocalypse on Wednesday [May 18] will give a clearer indication of if it can overtake both, and maybe stand a chance of hitting £40m.

Also for Disney, The Jungle Book became the biggest film of 2016 to date at the UK box office on Friday [May 13].

The live-action remake posted a slim drop of 24% on its way to $2.3m (£1.6m) for $56.4m (£39.3m) after five weeks in play. It will swing past £40m by the end of this weekend at the very latest.

Zootropolis has amassed $33.1m (£23.04m).

SONY

The Angry Birds Movie ended the Disney domination of the top two in the UK as it flew into second.

Sony’s animation took off with a healthy $3.1m (£2.15m) from its 522 sites for a site average of $5,913 (£4,119), and should prosper as the sole major animation over the coming weeks with Zootropolis’ run slowing down.

The Angry Birds Movie will have to compete with Alice Through The Looking Glass over the school holiday at the end of the month though.

UNIVERSAL

Bad Neighbours 2 fell around 35% with a $1.6m (£1.1m) second weekend as it dropped to fourth.

Universal’s comedy sequel is now up to $5.4m (£3.73m) and while it won’t catch the original’s $23m (£16m), it should at least avoid being director Nicholas Stoller’s lowest UK performer, currently The Five-Year Engagement’s $7.1m (£4.93m).

Also for Universal, The Darkness failed to scare UK audiences as it posted a soft $74,000 (£51,465) debut from its 106 sites.

FOX

Rounding off this week’s top five was Florence Foster Jenkins as it posted a decent 21% drop (excluding previews) for a non-final $659,000 (£459,234) second weekend.

The Pathe release (distributed by Fox in the UK) now stands at $2.7m (£1.88m), and looks likely to challenge the $3.7m (£2.6m) and $4.2m (£2.9m) results of Tamara Drewe and Mrs. Henderson Presents, respectively.

Also for Fox, Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chiphas amassed $23.8m (£16.59m).

STUDIOCANAL

Our Kind Of Traitor unearthed $513,000 (£357,945) from its 246 sites to chart sixth on debut through Studiocanal.

In terms of John le Carré adaptations at the UK box office, that’s only ahead of The Tailor Of Panama’s $409,000 (£285,368) debut from 113 sites. However, the other three adaptations opened at more than 300 sites at least.

Our Kind Of Traitor will hope to post decent midweek numbers due to its older-skewing audience, as it might get lost at the weekends in a blockbuster-heavy market.

Also for Studiocanal, Robinson Crusoe posted a hefty drop with a $82,000 (£57,119) second weekend for $984,000 (£685,638), while Bastille Day now stands at $2.8m (£1.94m).

EONE

Everybody Wants Some!! got off to an inauspicious start at the UK box office.

Richard Linklater’s latest partied to $242,000 (£169,683) from its 109 sites, marking a site average of $2,222 (£1,548).

That’s a debut behind the likes of Before Midnight and A Scanner Darkly, and around half of the $478,000 (£332,834) bow of Boyhood from 89 sites.

Also for eOne, Eye In The Sky stands at a decent $6.6m (£4.62m) following a $218,000 (£151,628) fifth weekend.

ALTITUDE / PICTUREHOUSE

An Altitude and Picturehouse co-release, Green Roomposted a UK debut of $208,000 (£144,517), including previews, from its 136 sites.

That’s ahead of Blue Ruin’s $156,000 (£108,710) bow, albeit from fewer sites (55), on its way to $453,000 (£315,000). Green Room will hope to surpass that tally, despite the difficulties of a crowded market.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

Including previews, Curzon Artificial Eye’s Mustangopened with $93,000 (£65,037) from its 43 sites.

Also for Curzon Artificial Eye, Son Of Saul has grossed $583,000 (£406,629) after three weeks in play.

PARAMOUNT

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot could only manage an $84,000 (£58,798) UK bow from its 123 sites through Paramount.

That marks directors Glenn Ficarra and John Requa’s worst UK opening by some distance, although it’s worth noting that the film also received their smallest ever release.

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse (opens May 18) and Icon Film Distribution’sA Hologram For The King.

Lionsgate’s Sing Street expands nationwide after its successful Irish release, while Dogwoof’s Heart Of A Dog, Altitude’s The Call Up and Sony’s The Silent Stormare among the films receiving a limited release.

The weather has still be quite nice and warm in the south, but from tomorrow, and over the weekend, it's expected to be cooler and quite rainy. Good news for the BO.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Heretic said:

£7-8m is my prediction, it's not going to open as high as DOFP simply because it doesn't have the same gimmick of having the original cast and new cast. 

The beginning of June is a bit of a mess with TMNT2, Warcraft, The Nice Guys and Me before You opening in the same week but the week after it just drops likely due to football with the release of The Boss and a Monday release for the Conjuring 2 so I think we'll see a dip before it picks up for IDR and Pets.

6 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm feeling like this could go anywhere tbh. Buzz feels muted compared to DOFP when it comes to the Net community, but for real people maybe Deadpool could reinvigorate interest in the main franchise as well. All I know is that I'm looking forward to seeing it at midnight. Just a shame our IMAX screen is still closed :angry:

I assume they are planning to get it opened for Warcraft's opening at the earliest or perhaps IDR at the latest.