Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

£55-60m might be a bit high actually. Tonight is busy but not as busy as I thought, not even seeing many sellouts. Weird.

I'd say a 4-day around £17m, and maybe £50-55m total.

I hope FB manages to edge R1 out. How incredible that would be.

• Like 1

I feel that number is about expected. Lots of excitement obviously, but in comparison to TFA a lot want to gauge the reaction first. I think Rogue One is great but it's not for 'everyone', and the trailers hinted as such.

• Like 2

It's okay.

TFA also dropped on Friday, it was easily its lowest day of the whole 4 days because of midnights. 

Today should be around £4.5m.

Heading for a 4-day of about £16-17m, ~ 50% drop from TFA. In dollars it'll be way more as the pound has plummeted this year since Brexit. Probably just scrape $20m, compared to TFA's $50.7m.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1

One important thing to mention is that the vast majority of schools are still in. Most break up for Christmas holidays on Wednesday or Thursday, so weekdays won't be particularly strong until then, just business as normal. 

ALSO. To avoid panic next weekend when drops are huge, cinemas are closed on Christmas Day in the UK, and Christmas Eve showings end in the evening compared to late at night, so expect some massive drops. Christmas Eve is quite a weak day regardless. Rogue One for example is going to drop at LEAST 65-70% as it's essentially going from a 4-day weekend to a 1.75 day weekend. It'll recover after that and probably increase the following weekend. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Heretic said:

One important thing to mention is that the vast majority of schools are still in. Most break up for Christmas holidays on Wednesday or Thursday, so weekdays won't be particularly strong until then, just business as normal. 

ALSO. To avoid panic next weekend when drops are huge, cinemas are closed on Christmas Day in the UK, and Christmas Eve showings end in the evening compared to late at night, so expect some massive drops. Rogue One for example is going to drop at LEAST 65-70% as it's essentially going from a 4-day weekend to a 1.75 day weekend. It'll recover after that and probably increase the following weekend. 

All of this was the same for TFA last year though, so if we're making comparisons between the two it should be fine.

3 minutes ago, hw64 said:

All of this was the same for TFA last year though, so if we're making comparisons between the two it should be fine.

Schools were off the week after TFA opened so it'll be different there. But for the weekend yes, TFA also had Christmas eve and Christmas Day, and fell 70%, so I guess similar can be expected for RO.

Edited by Heretic