Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

18 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Its not just MPR though at least in my Cinema,Ralphy,FB2,Spiderman are getting similar screens to Aquaman and sure it had a week of Imax but compared to MPR never had the same amount.

Also its having Imax from 21st of December to 3rd of January that is not just a week, Aquaman has a monopoly in America because clearly they knew what they were doing. 

No-one is suggesting Aquaman should get the same but for example at my Cinema we have 4 Imax screens possible a day and MP was getting 4 and now 3 but nothing is taking up the other one. 

Is bumblebee even getting Imax my Cinema says 28th of December 2d Imax. 

They’ll be keeping MPR for morning/matinee IMAX showings as that’s likely to be where the film does the most business from families and older people, especially during th holidays. Bumblebee will do better in IMAX from the evening showing. For comparison, Aquaman’s IMAX showings during the day were practically empty last weekend, it was during the evening that it started to fill up.

The missing 4th IMAX show at your cinema is likely either a programming error, or they’ve pulled an MPR showing to replace it with Aquaman or Bumblebee and they’re just waiting on confirmation to go on sale from head office.

And yes, Bumblebee is getting IMAX from next Friday, sharing the screens with MPR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

They’ll be keeping MPR for morning/matinee IMAX showings as that’s likely to be where the film does the most business from families and older people, especially during th holidays. Bumblebee will do better in IMAX from the evening showing. For comparison, Aquaman’s IMAX showings during the day were practically empty last weekend, it was during the evening that it started to fill up.

The missing 4th IMAX show at your cinema is likely either a programming error, or they’ve pulled an MPR showing to replace it with Aquaman or Bumblebee and they’re just waiting on confirmation to go on sale from head office.

And yes, Bumblebee is getting IMAX from next Friday, sharing the screens with MPR.

I see maybe your right and its not updated yet

25 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I see maybe your right and its not updated yet

Also, if you’re looking at Christmas Eve, it could just be down to the cinema closing early. The majority of cinemas around me are closing early tomorrow (like they do every Christmas Eve) with the latest showtime being around 7pm, so it’s possible that the “missing” showtime is just that they’re closing early and the 5pm (or thereabouts) showing is the last one they could fit in.

2 hours ago, Wotad said:

Its not just MPR though at least in my Cinema,Ralphy,FB2,Spiderman are getting similar screens to Aquaman and sure it had a week of Imax but compared to MPR never had the same amount.

Also its having Imax from 21st of December to 3rd of January that is not just a week, Aquaman has a monopoly in America because clearly they knew what they were doing. 

No-one is suggesting Aquaman should get the same but for example at my Cinema we have 4 Imax screens possible a day and MP was getting 4 and now 3 but nothing is taking up the other one. 

Is bumblebee even getting Imax my Cinema says 28th of December 2d Imax. 

So you're ok if Aquaman has the monopoly? Lol. Anyway, Aquaman is ok to me, though visual-wise, I prefer Doctor Strange.

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

So you're ok if Aquaman has the monopoly? Lol. Anyway, Aquaman is ok to me, though visual-wise, I prefer Doctor Strange.

Its a bit different though in America AQ has the monopoly on Imax because its literally the only one suitable for that out atm also opening way higher then the other films.

15 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

To be fair, it did have IMAX for a week and a half before MPR took over, so anyone that really wanted to see it in the format still had the chance.

My opening weekend Saturday 8pm IMAX showing wasn’t exactly heaving though, so while it did look good in IMAX, it’s not like it was pulled out and replaced while it was still selling out or anything. This isn’t like the hilarious mistake that they made back in 2012 when they pulled The Avengers out of IMAX while it was still selling out almost every showing...to replace it with Dark Shadows...

MPR is getting a week in IMAX before losing the prime evening slot to Bumblebee. Whether MPR benefits from the format or not, they’ve shared the screen space out more equally than in the US where it seems like Aquaman has the monopoly on it.

Lets not forget that Aquaman has been out for two weeks already in the UK, so it’s likely that it’d probably be doing a similar amount of tickets to MPR in IMAX at this point. A $6.5 million UK five day opening doesn’t really warrant a monopoly on IMAX screens the way some are suggesting.

Well,Aquaman is out 3 weeks now.It still has imax in many markets.UK gives Aquaman less screens than previous dc films at first.It has Less screens and it has  less opening Number.Though It's a crowded Christmas,Aquaman has less screens in UK than other markets.UK cinema expect too much from MPR.MPR is like Star war level showtimes But It's not that Huge. its still So pity for Aquaman and other holiday films

Edited by SliverS
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wotad said:

Its a bit different though in America AQ has the monopoly on Imax because its literally the only one suitable for that out atm also opening way higher then the other films.

Aquaman has imax and MPR has Dolby.So It's Okay.In China,Aquaman and SpiderMan share the imax.And It's totally okay for me.

Edited by SliverS

On 12/23/2018 at 11:56 AM, iluvjuanki said:

Actually after seeing Aquaman, I do find it crazy that they gave the imax screens to MP. Aquaman is one of the very very few movies that should be seen in Imax.

But uk people want to see more that iconic british nanny than the 329th american superhero of the year. In the holidays days the distance between the two will be bigger. 

I don't know why people were expecting children to do 7 hours in a row to see Mary in the first day like the Jedi fans, children have a lot of things to do, they are busy 😂 Her audience is coming. 

MPR is looking very strong today, wouldn’t be surprised if today is its biggest day so far. Some cinemas I’ve checked are pretty much full up all day until evening so over £10m for the 4 day is looking good. 

As a matter of fact most film are looking very busy today. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 4

posts £8.2m opening after widest ever UK box office release

Disney’s musical fantasy sequel Mary Poppins Returns got underway in the UK this weekend with an impressive £8.2m three-day opening from December 21-23. 

The film was released into a massive 740 cinemas – that’s the widest ever release for a film in the UK. Its £8.2m opening is an average of £11,081 per location.

Mary Poppins dominated 45% of takings over its opening Friday to Sunday, with grosses growing day-on-day moving into the UK bank holidays of Dec 25 (when most cinemas are closed) and Dec 26. The family title is likely to build consistently over the coming festive days - it looks set to comfortably be the biggest holiday release of the year.

#7 OW of 2018 if I understood it right

Increased significantly with actuals, £8.2m is very impressive and on par with Paddington 2. As it’s been increasing day on day, perhaps it’ll be nearer £11m after today. With the holidays it probably has a decent shot at £50m. Who said this was underperforming? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Who said this was underperforming? 

I think this times its more about being bumped about which movie looks 'nicer' / is better watched in IMAX that let some ppl look probably a bit too focused on the movie that 'took away' indirectly the IMAX screens 😉

6 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Increased significantly with actuals, £8.2m is very impressive and on par with Paddington 2. As it’s been increasing day on day, perhaps it’ll be nearer £11m after today. With the holidays it probably has a decent shot at £50m. Who said this was underperforming? 

The salty Aquaman fanatics who hated Poppins' 'monopoly' of screens.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I think this times its more about being bumped about which movie looks 'nicer' / is better watched in IMAX that let some ppl look probably a bit too focused on the movie that 'took away' indirectly the IMAX screens 😉

7 hours ago, UserHN said:

The salty Aquaman fanatics who hated Poppins' 'monopoly' of screens.

:D :lol:  :D :lol:  :D :lol:  :D :lol: 

how different the ~ same situation can be formulated ;)

Edited by terrestrial
typo, lost word
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, boxofficenerd said:

They give this movie Star Wars level of screens and it only can gross under 10 mill on its OW? Thats not good at all.

😂 no one expected SW numbers? And this has now where near the same number of screens. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3