Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

😂 no one expected SW numbers?

Cinema chains did considering that the movie has the widest box office release in the UK. I have a friend who lives near Dover and he says he has never seen this sort of release before. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Seems like cinema chains did considering that the movie has the widest box office release in the UK. I have a friend who lives near Dover and he says he has never seen this sort of release before. 

Just because it had the widest release doesn’t mean they expected it to be the biggest film of all time. It will be one of the biggest films of the year. Anyone who thought this would make £35m in 4 days and gross over £120m clearly doesn’t know anything about the BO. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, boxofficenerd said:

UK Cinemas thought this was going to do 90+mill for sure lmao

Dollars? I think cinemas will be very happy if this grosses over £40m, and anything over £50m would be a fantastic result. With the exchange rate today even the biggest films would struggle to reach $90m. 

• Like 2

"The widest ever release in the UK".

I don't see how Toy Story 3 and Shrek 3 aren't acceptable comparisons. This is way below them.

I will undoubtedly be one of the biggest movies of the year, and was always going to be the biggest movie of the season in the UK since Poppins was always going to be leaning into the UK market as its main one after the US/Can. But it will struggle to get to the levels of Greatest Showman or Mamma Mia, both of which weren't given anything like this kind of release. 

EDIT: "In the 40s and into the 50s" would put it into Peter Rabbit and Paddington 2 territory at the high end (Secret Life of Pets at the low end). Good and successful movies but there is no way on earth Disney's banner holiday release being granted the "widest ever release in the UK" is aiming for that kind of haul.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

Why do we get so many newbies for the moment who seem to be a bit biased / narrow-minded?

:bash:

screens not the same as show-times

typical material for earlier in the day (as in not in the night, more family orientated) program not the same as typical late night program (like certain over 18y old movies, not family orientated and so on)

franchise not the same as musicals

family / holiday times not the same as another month in the year

part 2 of a movie out of the early '60 not the same as the ~ bio-pic of more actual music (as in the Queen fans actually still live in opposite to a lot of MP part 1 audience), Queen still tours, FM died in 1991, but he recorded late, music lived for a time in the top something lists, tribute concerts...

Mercury was also ranked at 18 on the 2008 Rolling Stone list of the 100 greatest singers ever;[4] and ranked the second best lead singer in a 2011 Rolling Stone readers' pick.[8] Mercury was described by AllMusic as "one of rock's greatest all-time entertainers," with "one of the greatest voices in all of music."[9] Upon its release in November 2018, the biographical film about Mercury and Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody, became the highest-grossing musical biographical film of all time.

yeah yeah,... very comparable to a part 2 of musical released in 1963 with a music I'd not call modern even for its time (part 2 playing in WW II or so? Didn't really read up to it as I am not interested into the movie)

3 minutes ago, boxofficenerd said:

You just dont give that many showings to a movie when Aquaman, Bumblebee and Spider-Verse are out (also the leftovers of Ralph 2, Beasts 2 and Grinch) if you aint insanely optimistic about the movie (especially after seeing the performances of musicals this year in the UK).

Spiderverse is a massive flop so I don’t think cinemas would even hesitate to give its screens away. All the other films you mentioned are performing fine in the screens they have. The IMAX debate is the only one I agree with. 

You’re acting as if distributors will be horrified with results, an £11m 4 day gross  is a great start for a family orientated musical just before Christmas. 

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Why do we get so many newbies for the moment who seem to be a bit biased / narrow-minded?

:bash:

yeah yeah,... very comparable to a part 2 of musical released in 1963 with a music I'd not call modern even for its time (part 2 playing in WW II or so? Didn't really read up to it as I am not interested into the movie)

Much as I am delighted by the insinuation that not posting that much on this particular forum before means that I am not capable of discussing these matters, you're arguing against yourself here. Bohemian Rhapsody didn't open to the number of screens that Poppins is doing.

Your whole post is a long description and justification of why MPR shouldn't be expecting to open spectacularly highly and should simply expect to be the equivalent of a successful family movie. Mid 60s should be okayish. Over 75 would be a big success.

I agree.

Which is why it begs the question of why MPR has been granted the enormous amount of screens it has compared to those other movies. 

• Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, Heretic said:

You’re acting as if distributors will be horrified with results, an £11m 4 day gross  is a great start for a family orientated musical just before Christmas. 

It is great for a family orientated musical over Christmas. But it’s also ‘Mary Poppins’. Not just some new musical. 

It’ll continue to do well into January. I’d expect it to be performing in line with Bohemian Rhapsody, consider how well known the product is and the school holidays. 

Also of note, on 3rd January, it still showing 15 times a day at my local. By comparison the second most will be Bumblebee with 9. 

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Increased significantly with actuals, £8.2m is very impressive and on par with Paddington 2. As it’s been increasing day on day, perhaps it’ll be nearer £11m after today. With the holidays it probably has a decent shot at £50m. Who said this was underperforming? 

I mean the legendary MP is on par with Paddington 2.. uhm.

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

The salty Aquaman fanatics who hated Poppins' 'monopoly' of screens.

Widdest release ever and it can beat paddington 2.. lmfao. 

49 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Spiderverse is a massive flop so I don’t think cinemas would even hesitate to give its screens away. All the other films you mentioned are performing fine in the screens they have. The IMAX debate is the only one I agree with. 

Seriously though, if it's showing from 0930 to 2200 every half an hour, I expect more than a £7m OW. Halve the show time count and it would have made the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxofficenerd said:

Not saying it was gonna do SW numbers, just saying that they gave Mary Poppins a stupid amount of shows and it doesnt even end up opening higher than Rhapsody. Not good at all.

exactly those screens should have gone to MP with this type of opening. 

34 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I mean the legendary MP is on par with Paddington 2.. uhm.

Widdest release ever and it can beat paddington 2.. lmfao. 

Paddington 2 made £43m. Only 33 films have ever made above £50m in the U.K and over half of them are Potter/SW/Bond/LotR sequels, and the majority of others are monster hits like Titanic/Avatar/Mamma Mia.

Maybe I’m completely out of touch but what were people expecting for MPR? £70m?

Also the screen argument is a bit boring now why can’t people get over it. It’s not like anything else is lighting up the box office right now. Hilarious how offended some are. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Manny G said:

Spider-Man is not getting that much of a boost, Aquaman is already beating it again this monday

Spider-Man is doing Very well in China.But it can't compete with Aquaman.btw Spiderman and Aquaman has Similar showtimes.Not monopoly showtimes.