Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Just saw Clerks 3 in a practically deserted screen, it was literally me and my partner, and 3 others in one of the cinemas biggest screens. It’s very much just for Kevin Smith fans, so I’m not surprised it’s not really crossing over to general audiences, but it’s a shame it’s probably going to tank because it’s a return to form for Smith after the risible Jay & Silent Bob Reboot (I’m a Kev fan, but that one tested me…). It’s genuinely funny and surprisingly heartfelt as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Just saw Clerks 3 in a practically deserted screen, it was literally me and my partner, and 3 others in one of the cinemas biggest screens. It’s very much just for Kevin Smith fans, so I’m not surprised it’s not really crossing over to general audiences, but it’s a shame it’s probably going to tank because it’s a return to form for Smith after the risible Jay & Silent Bob Reboot (I’m a Kev fan, but that one tested me…). It’s genuinely funny and surprisingly heartfelt as well.

The thing with Kevin Smith is that he so very specifically said goodbye to his "youth" filmmaking with Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. But then made Clerks 2. And Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. And Clerks 3. And at least 2 self-indulgent niche horror-adjacent movies with his mates. How many times can you "say goodbye" to characters that are only taking a handful of years between each movie?

He got a genuine bad break with Jersey Girl. It was a pretty good movie that was unfairly shredded reputationally and financially by being in the eye of the Bennifer soap storm. But it sometimes seems like Smith took one bit of bad fortune and accepted it as a sign to never grow up or mature.  

Tickets have been available for Don't Worry Darling for a while now. The marketing has been as ever-present as anything this year other than perhaps Nope. Might well have worked for it, also think there is a campness factor - at least in the trailer - that plays well here.

Woman King is having a one-off early screening next week and it seems packed to a degree I haven't seen in a while. Might be just because its a single screening though.

On 9/17/2022 at 12:32 AM, SnokesLegs said:

Yeah, my show had a total of 7 people in it. Elyas grated on me bad, but Dante's story was genuinely affecting, was very impressed. Smith should do more dramatic work. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Yeah, my show had a total of 7 people in it. Elyas grated on me bad, but Dante's story was genuinely affecting, was very impressed. Smith should do more dramatic work. 

He can actually deliver great work when he leaves behind the dick jokes, I rewatched Jersey Girl a few years back and it surprised me just how good it was. It was unfairly caught up in all the Bennifer hysteria and most people wrote it off, but it’s actually really good with a strong performance from Ben Affleck.

Edited by SnokesLegs

#WEEKEND FIGURES

Film Distributor Weeks on release Weekend Total Total Box Office
1 See How They Run Walt Disney 2 £984,779 £2,831,230
2 Bullet Train Sony Pictures 7 £325,252 £10,350,578
3 Minions 2: The Rise Of Gru Universal Pictures 12 £321,746 £45,144,695
4 Top Gun Maverick Paramount 17 £320,963 £82,884,781
5 DC League Of Super-Pets Warner Bros. 8 £307,920 £14,899,670
6 Tad The Lost Explorer And The Curse Of The Mummy Paramount 2 £281,501 £1,152,514
7 Elvis Warner Bros. 13 £204,599 £27,371,961
8 Brahmastra Part 1: Shiva Walt Disney 2 £201,810 £903,491
9 Bodies Bodies Bodies Sony Pictures 2 £195,757 £735,286
10 Moonage Daydream Universal Pictures 1 £181,467 £181,467
11 Nope Universal Pictures 6 £179,826 £7,751,053
12 Jaws Universal Pictures 2 £165,310 £1,946,265
13 Orphan: First Kill Signature Entertainment 5 £135,176 £2,159,248
14 WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING Sony Pictures 9 £82,825 £8,115,231
15 Beast Universal Pictures 4 £79,836 £1,891,852

Source: Comscore

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Oof, Clerks didn't even make the top 15 launching on a Tuesday 

Busiest day seemed to be opening day near me, it was a ghost town at the weekend. I loved it, but I can totally understand why it wouldn’t break out, it’s very much for Kevin Smith fans only, I can only imagine that people going into it cold would be totally lost.

38 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Is this the first time a Cineworld unlimited screening has been reported in the dailies? (The Woman King was incredible)

Could be that it’s just noticeable because the box office is so low just now. 

I think one of the other chains charged for tickets which would explain it, I think it was Odeon, Cineworld and Showcase all showing it last night. 

• Thanks 1