Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

They've had to add a second screening of Orphan at the same time here as well, both after 10pm, the second screen they added was the biggest non IMAX we have, last night it was well over 60% full after one day

That’s amazing! Glad to hear Esther is getting the audiences in lol

1 hour ago, Mr Roark said:

Isn't there a difference of just 261K between the two? NTTD 96.7M and NWH 96.4M? NWH should be able to best it or am I missing something?

Because BFI messed up. In very last weekend of NTTD's run, they increased the gross of NTTD from £96,695,548 to £97,957,511  This increase came when it was earning less than 10k/week.

Now, No Way Home is sitting at £96,364,565~ So, Unless Yearly Databook comes out or official announcements...

My ET IMAX showing at 2pm was practically sold out so I’m not surprised to see it apparently going toe to toe with NWH, hearing all the kids crying at certain bits just reminded me how kids films really used to be able to scar kids for life. Absolutely wonderful film though, I’d forgotten just how good it was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

My ET IMAX showing at 2pm was practically sold out so I’m not surprised to see it apparently going toe to toe with NWH, hearing all the kids crying at certain bits just reminded me how kids films really used to be able to scar kids for life. Absolutely wonderful film though, I’d forgotten just how good it was.

I was thinking about this during my show on Friday. Not necessarily scarring kids, but more letting them feel emotions that parents go out of their way to shield them from now

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

openers yesterday:

spiderman #6

ET #7

three thousand years #11

the forgiven #13

fall #16

Fall doesn’t deserve to flop like this. 

I’m so relieved I won’t get the Three Thousand Years of Longing trailer ever again. Not that the film looks terrible, just how relentless they’ve been with it before every film. 

12 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Yes, I enjoyed the Fall, deserve better. As expected kids film dominated Saturday, huge increase for MINIONS and SUPERPETS, plus TAD previews.

TGM comfortably third, 100+% increase from last week. A few days and NWH will overtake NTTD.

It depends, if the BFI £98M figure is correct, it won't...

Edited by Mr Roark

10 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I was thinking about this during my show on Friday. Not necessarily scarring kids, but more letting them feel emotions that parents go out of their way to shield them from now

Absolutely, back then we had films like ET that actually helped kids understand and deal with tougher subjects like death, whereas now it just feels like everything is sanitised to remove anything that could upset them. If ET had come out today, I feel like we’d have had people complaining about how it upset their kids. It’s interesting that the screenwriters of todays kids films will have been raised on these 80’s films, but they seem to go out of their way not to emulate what will have been pivotal films in their own childhoods.

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Fall doesn’t deserve to flop like this. 

I’m not that surprised by Fall’s performance unfortunately, I only saw the trailer once and it didn’t really sell the film too well, it was literally just a slow panning shot up a large tower, and the CGI on the tower in the trailer looked pretty ropey too. Other than “two people trapped on a high tower” it didn’t really tell you much about it. 

24 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Some cinemas charged for up charges, plus there was some premium content at some chains as well

Naa that was likely just UK. Incl UK its 1.6M+

Saturday’s National Cinema Day proved a resounding success as operators across the home nations offered tickets from £3 in the UK and €4 in the Republic of Ireland. Audience footfall on the day reached over 1.6m cinemagoers, comfortably surpassing the last two COVID-affected years and almost three times the equivalent day in healthier pre-pandemic times.