Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, Rthanos said:

DP2 if sun can do similar to Sat looking over 8m 3days and cume around 13

AIW took hit around 2-2.5m 

That's good for DP considering the circumstances, I thought it'd do worse. 

Edited by Heretic

25 minutes ago

Royal Wedding Ratings: 18M Watch Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Big Day In The UK

edit:

...to put into context, the FA Cup Final, widely considered the closest sporting event to the Superbowl in the UK, was watched by an average of 6.7m viewers and a peak of 8.7m people later in the afternoon.

Edited by terrestrial

18 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

They were smart giving it a 6 day opening “weekend”. 

It’ll probably have a smaller drop next weekend. No idea when Solo comes out here. 

Solo is out Thursday, but you wouldn't know it. Marketing seems to be non-existent. 

Next Saturday night should be a little less busier than it should as it's Liverpool vs Real Madrid in the Champions League Final. 

9 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

Solo is out Thursday, but you wouldn't know it. Marketing seems to be non-existent. 

Next Saturday night should be a little less busier than it should as it's Liverpool vs Real Madrid in the Champions League Final. 

Literally, I've seen no marketing online, nothing on TV, nothing on Buses or anything.

However the trailer has been shown before every single film I've gone to see in the last month and a half (all 15 of them). That includes movies like Peter Rabbit, Ghost Stories and I Feel Pretty. All of which aren't exactly the right crowd I'd think Solo would be aiming for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

25 minutes ago

Royal Wedding Ratings: 18M Watch Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Big Day In The UK

edit:

...to put into context, the FA Cup Final, widely considered the closest sporting event to the Superbowl in the UK, was watched by an average of 6.7m viewers and a peak of 8.7m people later in the afternoon.

How big is the World Cup in viewership in the UK?

Edited by pepsa

3 minutes ago, pepsa said:

How big is the World Cup in vieuwership in the UK?

out of the edit, (also in your quote, so I am not sure if you mean maybe something else?):

was watched by an average of 6.7m viewers and a peak of 8.7m people later in the afternoon.

4 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Literally, I've seen no marketing online, nothing on TV, nothing on Buses or anything.

However the trailer has been shown before every single film I've gone to see in the last month and a half (all 15 of them). That includes movies like Peter Rabbit, Ghost Stories and I Feel Pretty. All of which aren't exactly the right crowd I'd think Solo would be aiming for.

Yep, Disney seems to have really messed up with marketing on this here. Think they are presuming because it's Star Wars it will just be huge anyway. But I have spoken to people who didn't even know this movie existed, let alone that it's out this week. At my local VUE, I've have not seen too many film's this year, but have not seen a Solo trailer before any films. 

Just now, MonstersandRoy said:

Yep, Disney seems to have really messed up with marketing on this here. Think they are presuming because it's Star Wars it will just be huge anyway. But I have spoken to people who didn't even know this movie existed, let alone that it's out this week. At my local VUE, I've have not seen too many film's this year, but have not seen a Solo trailer before any films. 

Hmm okay. Maybe just Odeon then?

Also to note, Jurassic World has played before every movie except Ghost Stories too. That seems to be getting a massive marketing push here

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pepsa said:

How big is the World Cup in vieuwership in the UK?

A lot bigger than the FA Cup final when England play in WC. When England play in the World Cup, you get Royal Wedding sort of standstill, even though everyone always ends up disappointed. TV viewing figures will be high, but numbers watching will be much higher as many people watch the games in pubs.

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

out of the edit, (also in your quote, so I am not sure if you mean maybe something else?):

That's the FA Cup final (U.K. leagues), they were referring to the World Cup Final this year in Russia. (The worldwide football event every 4 years)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

Hmm okay. Maybe just Odeon then?

Also to note, Jurassic World has played before every movie except Ghost Stories too. That seems to be getting a massive marketing push here

Agree with that. At VUE Star City Birmingham and Cineworld I've had Jurassic World trailers with every film I have seen since The Last Jedi. 

Just now, MonstersandRoy said:

Agree with that. At VUE Star City Birmingham and Cineworld I've had Jurassic World trailers with every film I have seen since The Last Jedi. 

I just realised you're not that far away from me actually! I go to Coventry Odeon, as I go to Warwick Uni, so termtime I'm up here, outside of that back down in Crawley (CW Crawley >>> Odeon Cov)

Never actually been to a VUE though

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I meant the last World Cup, but looked it up. 20m viewers apparently. 

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Ow, so 18m views made about a 50% dent for DP2? That doesn't bode well for JW2. If it might lose a lot. I know the Wold cup won't do 15m + daily but 8-9m doesn't seem that extreme. 

I think the royal wedding is more female orientated and as such might have an impact more for female aimed movies, but soccer is more male orientead (I absolute do not mean solely, I do know quite some females that actually watch soccer even when alone at home), at least in my country I do expect an impact for more male driven movies

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Ow, so 18m views made about a 50% dent for DP2? That doesn't bode well for JW2. If it might lose a lot. I know the Wold cup won't do 15m + daily but 8-9m doesn't seem that extreme. 

Should be fine. 

JW2 comes out June 6th here, WC doesn't start till 14th June and England don't play till the 18th.

England's first match is on a Monday, then next is on the following Sunday, JW2's 3rd weekend. So JW2 has a really good release date tbh

• Like 1