Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

3 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Should be fine. 

JW2 comes out June 6th here, WC doesn't start till 14th June and England don't play till the 18th.

England's first match is on a Monday, then next is on the following Sunday, JW2's 3rd weekend. So JW2 has a really good release date tbh

Ow nice, yeah i forgot that they moved it one week earlier. Thats great to hear. With 2 free weeks it could do ganster buisness.

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I think the royal wedding is more female orientated and as such might have an impact more for female aimed movies, but soccer is more male orientead (I absolute do not mean solely, I do know quite some females that actually watch soccer even when alone at home), at least in my country I do expect an impact for more male driven movies

True, still JW seems prety even in terms of male/female right? But with 2 weeks it will have more than enough room to make big bucks. Btw is why is DP hit so hard? Isn't DP more male driven? (Just know the SH general trend). 

And yeah idd, the wedding and the world cup aren't exclusively male/female, I don't think you get 18/20m numbers about 30% of UK population by with only one gender. That would be 60% of one gender watching. That would be insane.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Should be fine. 

JW2 comes out June 6th here, WC doesn't start till 14th June and England don't play till the 18th.

England's first match is on a Monday, then next is on the following Sunday, JW2's 3rd weekend. So JW2 has a really good release date tbh

I do think JW2 will do less than the first regardless but being the only big blockbuster for a month will help its legs.

ill be curious to see how Ocean’s 8 does. 

26 minutes ago, pepsa said:

True, still JW seems prety even in terms of male/female right? But with 2 weeks it will have more than enough room to make big bucks. Btw is why is DP hit so hard? Isn't DP more male driven? (Just know the SH general trend). 

I do not know, I didn't follow BO tha last 1 1/2 years for private reasons (even only watched a ~ handful of movies), but I think there are different possibilities, 1-4 I see a high possibility for influencing DPs #:

1. the 1st one was more of a phenomena than some thought it was

2. esp. in the US there was 2 ~ double holiday for DP1s OW, that inflated IMHO the OW there (and maybe as such via hype elsewhere as well) at least a bit, I looked the DP1 one OW details up a few hours ago, I think the OW then without the holidays might have been $115-120m, I think it was @Sam (?) who meant $120-125m

At least Valentines Day was also in other countries, as DeeCee in AUS thread showed me, there was an advertising campaign then aimed at VD

3. maybe it is a bit much SMH in such a short notice, BP still in many countries (even if now very small amounts), than A:IW, now already DP?

4. maybe out of all of the reasons AND the spring weather, the start of the school holiday in some regions (here a lot of ppl drive away, mostly ito countries with a foreign language to us, so no cinema visit during the holiday) = it is another time in the year, maybe only a small % for that too

Plus I do think that r-rated movies behave in another way for part 2, especially if the 1st one was a bit of a phenomena. Even a lot of part 2 with PG-13... do not increase.

Local events, like sport or like in the UK the royal wedding & sport this we, not to forget in general local movies (a lot of ppl forget those)

Sometimes it does not hinder or we do not see the impact based on missing comparative details/numbers, and sometimes it adds up in a more obvious way

edit: novelty is the word I couldn't remember: phenomenon and / or novelty

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

Spoiler
21 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I do not know, I didn't follow BO tha last 1 1/2 years for private reasons (even only watched a ~ handful of movies), but I think there are different possibilities, 1-4 I see a high possibility for influencing DPs #:

1. the 1st one was more of a phenomena than some thought it was

2. esp. in the US there was 2 ~ double holiday for DP1s OW, that inflated IMHO the OW there (and maybe as such via hype elsewhere as well) at least a bit, I looked the DP1 one OW details up a few hours ago, I think the OW then without the holidays might have been $115-120m, I think it was @Sam (?) who meant $120-125m

At least Valentines Day was also in other countries, as DeeCee in AUS thread showed me, there was an advertising campaign then aimed at VD

3. maybe it is a bit much SMH in such a short notice, BP still in many countries (even if now very small amounts), than A:IW, now already DP?

4. maybe out of all of the reasons AND the spring weather, the start of the school holiday in some regions (here a lot of ppl drive away, mostly ito countries with a foreign language to us, so no cinema visit during the holiday) = it is another time in the year, maybe only a small % for that too

Plus I do think that r-rated movies behave in another way for part 2, especially if the 1st one was a bit of a phenomena. Even a lot of part 2 with PG-13... do not increase.

Local events, like sport or like in the UK the royal wedding & sport this we, not to forget in general local movies (a lot of ppl forget those)

Sometimes it does not hinder or we do not see the impact based on missing comparative details/numbers, and sometimes it adds up in a more obvious way

edit: novelty is the word I couldn't remember: phenomenon and / or novelty

Great analysis        

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, feasby007 said:

Literally, I've seen no marketing online, nothing on TV, nothing on Buses or anything.

However the trailer has been shown before every single film I've gone to see in the last month and a half (all 15 of them). That includes movies like Peter Rabbit, Ghost Stories and I Feel Pretty. All of which aren't exactly the right crowd I'd think Solo would be aiming for.

I’ve seen billboards start to pop up over the last week or so (mainly the large digital ones), and TV advertising seems to have started picking up too with the odd TV spot. I also saw a large Parcel Force van that was plastered with a Solo advertising wrap. I think maybe Disney are focusing more on tie ins again like they did for TFA, TLJ and R1.

At my work as well, a radio advert for a car came through for clearance that was a Solo tie in.

Also, in regards to DP1 vs DP2, Valentines Day definitely had a massive effect on the first film, I worked in a cinema when the first came out and the business from couples that weekend was huge. I’m not surprised DP2 has dropped in comparison. It’s opened well considering the factors it’s been up against (mainly the weather which decimates cinema going in the UK, I think the Royal Wedding will have only had minimal effect since it was over and done with by 1:30pm and Deadpool will have done most of its business in the evening/night due to its nature as a 15 rated adult film. I’d imagine Avengers will have been hit harder due to losing family business from morning screenings).

Edited by SnokesLegs

3 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Do you too have any ideas?

I forgot to add:

I can imagine the European Sunday # being higer as usual all around (all movies) as at least some regions / countries have at monday a public holiday. But only if the weather isn't very good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Do you too have any ideas?

I forgot to add:

I can imagine the European Sunday # being higer as usual all around (all movies) as at least some regions / countries have at monday a public holiday. But only if the weather isn't very good.

It's strange to me it didn't open higher, I didn't expect great legs. How was the marketing (not online) for DP2? That might have an effect. But like you said the novelty is  probably a reason.

Sunday should be higher than Sat, holiday monday so practically has the whole evening to preforme. And it doesn't have to compete with the wedding. 

Anyway you said it, BP was huge in the UK, IW was even bigger, DP2 might just be one to many in 3 months time. Obviously this opening is still very good and I am not saying SH fatigue, just that it scraped 1-2m lc of the opening add 1m lc from the wedding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, feasby007 said:

I just realised you're not that far away from me actually! I go to Coventry Odeon, as I go to Warwick Uni, so termtime I'm up here, outside of that back down in Crawley (CW Crawley >>> Odeon Cov)

Never actually been to a VUE though

Cineworld Crawley is probably the best multiplex I've been too outside of London. Love it. 

As for Solo, I've seen a few bits on the tube today, but nothing outside of cinemas apart from that. 

Edited by SchumacherFTW

I would agree that marketing has been pretty underwhelming for Solo; that being said, everyone who would actively want to watch a Star Wars film, probably doesn't need much encouragement to go see it and is likely aware that it's coming out. Perhaps its just not trying to grab a wider general audience. Dunno

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I don't see more than £30-35m for Solo. JW has £40m+ potential. 

I know this is only anecdotal, but my odeon had more presales for DP2 than Solo currently does... If it doesn't pickup soon, it may be in trouble. As a small note, they have scheduled 5 midnight shows (1 3D) and most have less than 15 seats sold

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

I don't see more than £30-35m for Solo. JW has £40m+ potential. 

If presales don't pick up, under £30m may happen as JW is going to hurt it. £40m+ for JW sounds about right. 

Mystery screening tonight... film is rated 15. Thinking either Hereditary or Super Troopers 2?

ST2 possible since it's already had a release elsewhere, but seems an odd choice since most of the audience probably wont have seen the first one.