RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

Sony Pictures has tapped Morbius scribes Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless to write a Madame Web movie set in the Spider-Man universe, Collider has exclusively learned.

Sazama and Sharpless wrote the upcoming Sony movie Morbius, which stars Jared Leto as the titular vampire and is based on the Marvel comic by Gil Kane and Roy Thomas. Matt Smith, Tyrese Gibson and Jared Harris co-star in the film, which Sony will release on July 31, 2020. The duo’s earlier writing credits include Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter and Gods of Egypt, and they also received story credit on the most recent Power Rangers movie. They’re also the driving creative forces behind Netflix’s reboot of Lost in Space.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

is this going to be venom-verse or holland-verse 

They're one and the same

1 minute ago, Eric! said:

LMAO those guys have quite the portfolio

It's like they took Akiva Goldsman and split him in two

• Sad 1

Known as Cassandra Webb, she is usually depicted as an elderly blind woman suffering from a chronic neuromuscular disease that makes it difficult to move and breathe, and as such, she’s connected to a life support system that looks like a spider web. The clairvoyant character has precognitive abilities and once helped Spider-Man find a kidnap victim.

That doesn't sound horrible...how it could be a movie, I have no idea, but that's not my job to figure it out.

2 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

I really feel like Spider-Man is at his best when he’s in Sony’s control, but when I hear stuff like this announced, all I can think is what the hell are you thinking Sony?

Hey, this is almost as good as the Young Aunt May movie.

Sony spent the last two months bragging about how they cracked the formula and how they learned from Kevin Feige how to do it and their first major decision after the split was to get the Gods of Egypt people do make a movie about someone who isn't even a main character in their OWN storylines?

Like thisd be like building a Power Rangers franchise with a whole movie about Zordon. Her only real narrative purpose is to facilitate crossovers, she doesn't work as the star.

Edited by SpiderByte

So, like most of the internet, I am also in the WTF-boat on this.

However, consider this: the fact that somehow this is getting pushed ahead of much nore "film-able" characters like Kraven or Black Cat or countless other Spidey-characters makes me wonder if maybe this is happening before all the rest because they've got a really good story to go along with it.

Look at it this way: no one was asking for a Madame Web movie, so it's not like there was any need for Sony to make this. So maybe they've got a great story planned that will show us why it was worthy of jumping to the front of the line ahead of any other Spidey-movies.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

God, you don't get I was talking specifically about Madame Web?

I fully expect that Madame Web will go the way of the Young Aunt May movie

Maybe. But it's not like it would have anything at all to do with Spidey appearing in more MCU films.

I'm sure when this new broke a few days ago the folks at Sony knew a deal with Disney was imminent.