Eric S'ennui

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

10 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

According to my model, NWH will make $0 in China.

Ah, a 3 term simple moving average. I will counter with a 5 term SMA, for $177M.   

related factoid: Captain marvel grossed less than average of last 5 mcu movies in China :hahaha:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Macleod said:

Unclear on your interpretation, here.  I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about STORY and CHARACTERS.  They still could have introduced the concept with unique characters.  

All of this equates to one problem:  STORY.  If SONY/MARVEL were really 100% confident in their newly established Spidey-universe -- they would have continued to develop new/unused villains -- rather than rehash old ones.  

Or they saw the opportunity to make big money from nostalgia while simultaneously setting up the next big arc in the MCU. I don't see why they would lack confidence in the new series after both of the previous entries were well-received. 

• Like 5

For my money, doing live action spiderverse film in MCU was something Sony asked for and got when they were negotiating new contract after all the drama that went off during summer 2019. They knew it would make shitload of money for them. 

Marvel Studios agreed as the wanted to keep Spidey in MCU and of course they love easy money as well. 

If I had to guess the original plan for third film in Homecoming trilogy was something like this: Peter being on the run, dealing with his identity being reveiled, maybe hunted by Kraven etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Movie nerd said:

For my money, doing live action spiderverse film in MCU was something Sony asked for and got when they were negotiating new contract after all the drama that went off during summer 2019. They knew it would make shitload of money for them. 

Marvel Studios agreed as the wanted to keep Spidey in MCU and of course they love easy money as well. 

If I had to guess the original plan for third film in Homecoming trilogy was something like this: Peter being on the run, dealing with his identity being reveiled, maybe hunted by Kraven etc. 

Yep. 
Methodical hunter Kraven coulda been a great angle with the right casting. 
I’ll mark out for multiverse craziness, but Spider-Man vs. weird crimelords while he tries to pay the rent is more my bag. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Menor said:

Or they saw the opportunity to make big money from nostalgia while simultaneously setting up the next big arc in the MCU. I don't see why they would lack confidence in the new series after both of the previous entries were well-received. 

Then where is the confidence in their own new series and establishing new villains???  Serious question.  But yep, it's clear that they had a whole other movie lined up in case the deal didn't work out, and that they are both "taking advantage of the deal" and where Feige wants the MCU to go...regardless of whether it is actually something meaningful for this Spidey, or not...

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, Momori said:

Thoughts people? 

vmdn4tew7k081.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

they definitely meet with one of spider boys. And the line "yeah, me too" from Holland's Peter make more sense.

I guess they see Andrew's Peter. If you watch closely, they're in a place very similar to the house in Amazing Spider-Man.

The dialogues could be:

Tom: I'm sorry, what was your name again?

Andrew: Peter Parker.

Tom: Seriously, what's your actual name.

Andrew: I am Peter Parker. And I got bullied by Maguire!

Tom: Yeah, me too.

• Haha 3