kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

The number increased yesterday, maybe today it will too. :D

It increased 2.2 from 66 to 68.2m..Lets hope Saturday can increase 2.4m from 49 to 51.4m for the highest Saturday ever!!!OMG Ive never wanted something to happen more than this right now!!!

I really want that to go up to 50m but 49m is still very good. Can this pull a TDK like Sunday hold? Not likely but it can happen if demand can stay this high.

If it does, it will have to compensate during the day and early evening shows. TDK's 8% hold happened primarily because of late night shows that only get sold out on a Sunday night during the summer (or Christmas holidays).

We do it for every movie. Midnights are basically Thursday night, more or less

Not really. If you're going to a midnight screening, you're going to the earliest possible showing opening day, not late night Thursday previews or something like that. I mean, I guess I get the reasoning behind separating them, but I don't really agree with it. I think anybody who sees a movie at midnight would have seen the movie that later on opening day, and the difference between midnight and actual night isn't big enough to warrant separation.

It increased 2.2 from 66 to 68.2m..Lets hope Saturday can increase 2.4m from 49 to 51.4m for the highest Saturday ever!!!OMG Ive never wanted something to happen more than this right now!!!

Me neither. Hard to believe Spidey 3 still holds the Sat record. That needs to change sooner than later. A movie like that doesn't deserve to hold any records, especially for 5 years.

Not really. If you're going to a midnight screening, you're going to the earliest possible showing opening day, not late night Thursday previews or something like that. I mean, I guess I get the reasoning behind separating them, but I don't really agree with it. I think anybody who sees a movie at midnight would have seen the movie that later on opening day, and the difference between midnight and actual night isn't big enough to warrant separation.

I don't disagree, but it's neither here nor there -- separating midnights when comparing the Fri/Sat drop has become a standard way of breaking down grosses, so it's just as valid as looking at other breakdowns (internal multipliers, etc).

Yeah, I get that it's an established way of doing things, it's just not something I can get into.

Technically speaking you are correct. But when we analyze these films and make predictions, it makes more sense to split them up, because the midnight is essentially acting as an extra "half" day. The growing prominence of the midnights has changed the entire dynamic of blockbuster opening weekends, and not adapting in our predictions is going to lead to some very "off" (for lack of a better word) projections.