Ryan Reynolds

Star Wars: Andor - Disney+ - September 21, 2022

Look, this sounds better than it has any rights to be, but I can't believe they're making a spin-off show of a character introduced in a spin-off movie spawned from the need to explain a throwaway line in the opening crawl of Episode IV

I just think it's one layer too deep.

BUT hey, if it's good... I'll watch it. However convoluted the steps to getting that show may be.

BTW, looks like screeners are going out for this:

little curious that these went out a month ahead of time (makes me wonder if they got it sent early by mistake), but that screeners are being set up at all bodes well for an embargo lift ahead of the premiere.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Because they don’t want it going against She Hulk.  Obi Wan completely overshadowed Ms Marvel when they dropped on the same dates 

I assume so it’s also not smashed between the House of the Dragon and Rings of Power premieres anymore

• Like 2

You can really tell the difference. Not to trash on the Volume as it’s a great technology that will improve over time, but in other SW shows, some shots felt cheap/rushed(even though I’m sure that is never anyone’s intention). And who knows how Covid may have played into that. But it’s really refreshing to have on location shooting and sets like a movie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric the Tank Engine said:

Wait...they pushed it back? Why?

4 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

Because they don’t want it going against She Hulk.  Obi Wan completely overshadowed Ms Marvel when they dropped on the same dates 

4 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

I assume so it’s also not smashed between the House of the Dragon and Rings of Power premieres anymore

I also presume "not being ready yet" (perhaps w/ episodes on the back end) might have a thing or three to do with it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

even though I have no idea why they greenlit this. I guess this is why.

You've (along with others) said a couple of versions of this post in the past, but I think it deserves a fuller answer.

The real answer to "why greenlight this show" is simple:  The way Rogue One ended kinda put a damper on getting a sequel to it and there are a LOT of people who want more of it.

(I mean, literally killing off every. single. protagonist. kinda makes it hard to bring the band back together for another go)

So this is the next best thing.  And what a "best thing" it looks to be.

===

As for why Cassian Andor and not, say, Jyn Erso?  Type of story wanting to be told, presumably.  But beyond that there is an even simpler reason. With all due respect to The Force AwakensRogue One is almost certainly the film that has aged the best from the Disney Era in the eyes of present-day fandom and the public at large*. Yes, every single Disney Era film (including TROS) has its die-hard defenders.  And, yes, as the people who grew up with the Sequel Trilogy grow up themselves and have a larger voice in fandom they'll start to assert their appreciation for the films more and more.

*   The amount of times Rogue One just randomly appears on various Twitter Trend lists speaks to its staying power with the general public, IMO.  

But in the here and now, I don't think it's very controversial to say that Rogue One has the most current appreciation out of all of the Disney Era films.

So this is a way of continuing the story of some of the characters that were in Rogue One.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5