Ryan Reynolds

Star Wars: Andor - Disney+ - September 21, 2022

I kinda thought this would be good. I kept seeing "who asked for this?" takes, but Tony Gilroy & Diego Luna's prescience made this seem a lot more appealing to me than other modern Star Wars stuff and Rogue One seems to be generally considered one of the better new movies

• Like 1

Siri: Surf Twitter, filter:verified.

====

This seems to be a fairly representative mix.  Very positive overall, but a couple of lightly dissenting voices on the structure of the first two episodes.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This seems to be a fairly representative mix.  Very positive overall, but a couple of lightly dissenting voices on the structure of the first two episodes.

As I do more scanning (both in reverse order and catching up to new tweets), this pretty much seems to be the takeaway.

Very slow burn on the first two episodes, then taking off on the third (and for those who've seen it, fourth).

Some more semi-random examples (and not biased in one way or the other, except for trying to tag critics/entertainment writers over fans)

• Like 2

There are some VERY VERY *****VERY**** STRONG RAVES in there, BTW.   Maggie Lovitt in particular is gushing in her tweets (which I didn't quote aside from her initial one, but you can easily find by checking out her TL).

If I were to sum up, I think I'd say:

IF YOU LIKED ROGUE ONE, YOU'LL LOVE ANDOR

In fact, these reactions remind me ***A LOT*** of the initial reactions to Rogue One, right down to the commentary about the slow start.  Folks might not recall now, but a lot of the initial criticism of R1 was that it took it's time to get going for some.

Me though? I loved the beginning to Rogue One, so I suspect this is gonna strongly be My Jam.

Any way, that seems to be the takeaway. How well that slow burn hooks you in might just go a long way into saying how much you like this initial set of episodes.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Disney+ shows have mostly been fucking trash for me, but I have kept an open eye out for this because of Gilroy. I don't like Rogue One but this not using the volume and it being longer than the bare minimum 6 episodes per season made me suspect there might be more to it. I'll watch it and hope for the best.

• Like 1

It's certainly easy to ask 'who wanted this' but the reality is this content will be non-stop now so you might as well hope at least some of it's good.

I thought Rogue One had great production design - in hidsight its look feels like the prototype for the D+ shows - and touched on an underworld that desperately needed a further look, but the whole thing was let down by an awful main character. So with her gone this should, in theory, have something going for it. Just spare us more bloody jedi.

• Like 1

Rogue One is the best Disney era Star Wars film and since this is from some of the same creative team i'm cautiously optimistic. Plus trailers look pretty good. I've always loved the idea of regular people being the focus, no jedis, and Star Wars having a more mature tone.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Well I'm intrigued by reviews even though I thought Rogue One was one of the most boring blockbusters I've seen with no characters.

Well, if you thought R1 was boring, highly likely you're gonna think the same of Andor, given the lack of buy-in with the characters.

I've long thought that buy-in with characters of a show is perhaps the single biggest ingredient to one liking something, with buy-in for the setting being semi-close/related second.  It's not even a case of "overlooking flaws" since everything has flaws, and when one doesn't buy-in on some level, those flaws become more noticeable/objectionable.

I mean, give it a fair shot, sure.  Just think it might having something of an uphill battle for you.

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, if you thought R1 was boring, highly likely you're gonna think the same of Andor, given the lack of buy-in with the characters.

I've long thought that buy-in with characters of a show is perhaps the single biggest ingredient to one liking something, with buy-in for the setting being semi-close/related second.  It's not even a case of "overlooking flaws" since everything has flaws, and when one doesn't buy-in on some level, those flaws become more noticeable/objectionable.

I mean, give it a fair shot, sure.  Just think it might having something of an uphill battle for you.

You don't have to have bought into the characters before hand to like something. If the writing here is good, people should be able to buy into the characters during the show.

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You don't have to have bought into the characters before hand to like something. If the writing here is good, people should be able to buy into the characters during the show.

Generally, yes.  But if one has already had a taste at some of the character and didn't like them, just think it's gonna be harder to overcome the already set first impressions.

I’m not a huge fan of RO, thinks it’s probably in the bottom three of the films.  It’s well made but pretty boring for the first 2/3rds.  I liked Casian as a character though and everything they have shown for this show so far has looked promising.  I’m going in just hoping it looks polished and like it wasn’t just thrown together like TBOBF and OWK.  I liked Obi Wan but can admit it looked cheap and was poorly directed at times. 

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

I thought Rogue One was one of the most boring blockbusters I've seen with no characters.

Same. The first two acts are snooze inducing since the characters (sans K2SO and Donnie Yen) have no charisma at all and the third act is a fan service stravaganza. 

41 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Generally, yes.  But if one has already had a taste at some of the character and didn't like them, just think it's gonna be harder to overcome the already set first impressions.

Well that's true if you find the characters straight up unlikable, but OP thought they were empty. Plenty of room to like the characters, especially if Gilroy got to flex his skills here.

• Like 1