Eric Furiosa

IF | May 17, 2024 | Paramount | John Krasinski directs, writes and stars | Ryan Reynolds and Steve Carell are here too

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

That's just EA previews isn't it? British reviews still seem to be embargoed so I assume it's still not in general release yet there

“Previews” but it’s on all day and 14 screenings each day at my local. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

“Previews” but it’s on all day and 14 screenings each day at my local. 

I didn’t even know it was previewing this weekend until the other day, so was legit planning to see it next weekend. 

I would imagine the marketing will ramp up through this week now for a decent OW where they can bundle a little bit extra in, with those that saw it spreading the good word. 

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I didn’t even know it was previewing this weekend until the other day, so was legit planning to see it next weekend. 

I would imagine the marketing will ramp up through this week now for a decent OW where they can bundle a little bit extra in, with those that saw it spreading the good word. 

Yeh they even removed Back to Black and Challengers from Saturday and Sunday to give this even more screens. They went big on it here.

• Like 2

I feel like most families will simply save their money for Garfield, as it's a character and actor they already know and like to an extent. If this movie is as good as @wildphantom is saying, then Paramount is going to look bad by picking a dumb time like this to release their movie. I feel like whatever buzz this has is most likely because of the prospect of the Sonic 3 trailer being attached to it. I'd like to be proven wrong and see this fully original effects-driven piece actually do well, but my hopes on that aren't too high as of now.

Posted (edited)

I'd have to see how the theater count compares to usual but if it was like specific to a chain and not promoted real hard I can see that depressing numbers

Those France sales were huge, hard to imagine UK would be so much less enthused

EDIT: Also seems like ticket prices were reduced, so that probably was a factor

Edited by AniNate

Posted (edited)

We’ve also had amazing weather in the U.K. this weekend, which likely ate into what IF might have pulled in. I’m sure it’s had an impact on Apes too, but I haven’t seen the numbers yet. 

Like others have said though, no reviews have appeared. It was like a silent two day release, where as normally any family movie with special previews has very high awareness.  This is my wheelhouse, so if I didn’t know then you can bet plenty had no idea either. 

Agree Paramount will bear the brunt of any criticism if the film doesn’t do well.  The film is a real cut above, throwback kind of film. Krasinski showing the same sort of filmmaking skills and influence that were present in his QP movies. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I'd have to see how the theater count compares to usual but if it was like specific to a chain and not promoted real hard I can see that depressing numbers

Those France sales were huge, hard to imagine UK would be so much less enthused

EDIT: Also seems like ticket prices were reduced, so that probably was a factor

Not specific to a chain. Cineworld, Odeon, Showcase, Vue etc all have it. But not included in the Friday cinema count report. 

No reduced pricing at my local either. Still £10.99 for an adult ticket. Apes is £11.99, Fall Guy £10.99 and Back to Black £8.99. 

Saturday and Sunday will be rolled into next weekend and the 5 day will be reported as its opening. But ScreenDaily will separate the numbers so we’ll see how it did.

Reviews only on May 15, pretty late

That said, reviews on France dropped. Is at 3.3/5 at Allocine. Not super strong, but decent.

For comparison, the new Apes movie have 3.2/5 there and ended up with 80% on RT. 

I expect solid reviews for this and hopefully the OW can surprise, 40M OW would be great for this

I know it’s way too early to say this, but I’d love to see Krasinski become a new Spielberg: someone’s who’s reliably putting out solid films regardless of the genre. 

And this isn’t a “oh wow, DAJK is comparing JK to Spielberg”. Because I know JK only has made 3 films, but the fact that they are two wildly different genres, apparently IF is very very good, and his first film is probably the closest thing we’ve gotten to a modern horror classic in a long time.

'Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes' Opens to $129 Million Globally (variety.com)

Variety says $3.3 million opening in France and $300k in Belgium. I guess that would still be better than Elemental and in-line with what the domestic expectations are by comparison, but I guess the Victory and Ascension holidays back to back were a factor with the opening days. 

I think we may be doing the wishful thinking  thing again. I mean a original movie has to break out at some point. It did not happen last week. Yeah I know the Fall Guy is not but to most people it was.  Would love to see it happen but will see.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I know it’s way too early to say this, but I’d love to see Krasinski become a new Spielberg: someone’s who’s reliably putting out solid films regardless of the genre. 

And this isn’t a “oh wow, DAJK is comparing JK to Spielberg”. Because I know JK only has made 3 films, but the fact that they are two wildly different genres, apparently IF is very very good, and his first film is probably the closest thing we’ve gotten to a modern horror classic in a long time.

This is actually his fifth film. You'd be forgiven for not remembering these blink-and-you-missed-them earlier entries from

undefined

and 2016

undefined

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DAJK said:

Get Out?

Peele fits this description more than Krasinski for me.

A couple of my friends saw this yesterday and said they were amazed by how good it was. I had no interest in this before as it looked like a crappy kids movie but I trust their movie opinions so might be tempted to watch it.  

• Like 2