sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Mal2 $19.4M | Joker $19.2M | Adam's Family 12M | Zombieland $11.8M | Countdown $8.9M | Black & Blue $8.4M

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It actually fared better than I thought it would. Could've gone the route of Suspiria and just withered upon expansion.

This had a lot more going for it - under two hours, name actors, much better reviews, sold basically as an entertaining time even if on its own highly idiosyncratic terms. If The Witch could make 25m I figured mid-teens for this was achievable. Eh well. 

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Any chance this gets to $100m and doesn't get nuked once Halloween passes? There's no real family competition until Frozen.

$90-95M seems where it's likely to land considering Halloween is about to pass and it's about to start shedding theaters like crazy (4 wide releases next weekend, another 4 the weekend after that, another 3 the weekend after that, and then Frozen hits).

9 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Ordinary legs for an animation with middling numbers. 4 weekends have dropped 42%, 49%, 42%, 43%.

~5.2 away from 3x multi after a 2.0 weekend. Could get there but had potential to do Smallfoot like 3.6x. Even SLOP2 did 3.4x. Lego2 did 3.1x. Didn't expect Abominable to go below 3.2-3.3x. In 2017 Emoji did 3.5x after a 24+ ow mostly in Aug...nuf said.

Edited by a2k

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

This had a lot more going for it - under two hours, name actors, much better reviews, sold basically as an entertaining time even if on its own highly idiosyncratic terms. If The Witch could make 25m I figured mid-teens for this was achievable. Eh well. 

I mean it's still a black and white + un-mainstream horror film. Always seemed like it was bound to appeal to a very niche audience. Although considering most had it pegged for $2M at most heading into the weekend I'm sure A24 considers this somewhat of a win. Battinson, his power!

• Like 2