sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Mal2 $19.4M | Joker $19.2M | Adam's Family 12M | Zombieland $11.8M | Countdown $8.9M | Black & Blue $8.4M

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Eh, I wasn't trying to start any trouble, I was just giving my opinion. I love this site but I've barely been on here the last couple of months. I have no idea if people keep bringing up a certain director or not.

No need to apologize. It's normal that people bring up Zack Snyder after the success of Joker (and failure of Green Lantern, Justice League and Shazam) validated everything his fans have been saying.

You guys are definitely right that, like almost any weekend on the calendar, the right film could definitely be successful on a weekend like this one. I was just commenting on how the studios seem to treat this particular weekend.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

You guys are definitely right that, like almost any weekend on the calendar, the right film could definitely be successful on a weekend like this one. I was just commenting on how the studios seem to treat this particular weekend.

I think an animated film could do well in that slot, Puss in Boots back in 2011 did $34m. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Going back, the last weekend of October has always been kind of 🤷‍♂️ the first weekend of November is the start of the Holiday season and with Thanksgiving 3 weeks later, it used to frequently be a launching pad for early winter hits, especially of the christmas variety. The last few years have seen it tighten to weekend 2 or at odd points meh till the weekend before Thanksgiving due to failures. 

All that said, it makes it more difficult to plan a "big" film if the upcoming schedule will kill it. This year is weak sauce though till Frozen hits. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think an animated film could do well in that slot, Puss in Boots back in 2011 did $34m. 

But again, it was a last minute switch as it was originally the traditional "first of November" potential hit. Its 2nd weekend drop showed how the last minute schedule change didnt hit all the audience. Legs also didnt hold up post weekend 2. 

I think there is genre fatigue currently amongst movie-goers worldwide which is why M2 is not doing as good numbers as it should. The same thing will happen to F2 (I suspect it will flop big time) where as SW9 will become a major hit. 

Edited by Geo1500
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

I think there is genre fatigue currently amongst movie-goers worldwide which is why M2 is not doing as good numbers as it should. The same thing will happen to F2 (I suspect it will flop big time) where as SW9 will become a major hit. 

Genre fatigue but SW9 will be a major hit? Sounds confusing.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Frozen 2 will flop huh? I want some of what you're smoking.

42 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Frozen 2 will do great, may underperform due to some unrealistic expectations. SW9 could overperform domestic but at best stay flat with TLJ overseas and only if audiences really like it.

53 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Genre fatigue but SW9 will be a major hit? Sounds confusing.

Do I need to explain this further what I meant by genre fatigue? O'right it's Fantasy/princess genre. Not sci-fi or other genre. I think it has something to do with many fantasy/princess movies coming out this year right after each other. waiting couple of months before releasing them again would have been the way to do it.  Hence why Frozen 2 could flop due to fatigue but if M2 and F2 were released in different time like pushing them back couple of months or next year would have been more suitable.

@Ryan Reynolds @narniadis

The performs will entirely be based on if the audience feel like it. But I believe to many princess movies have come out the excitement won't be as last time

Edited by Geo1500
  • Haha 1

Random thought (because there's not much else going on this weekend to discuss):

It seems like we're really behind for some 2020 film trailers, at least for the bigger ones. I tend to use 6 months to release as a general sticking point for trailer drops for blockbusters, which means we were due a trailer for Godzilla vs Kong sometime in September (March 13 release date),, or a trailer for No Time to Die (April 8 release date). We also just got a trailer for Birds of Prey on October 1 (February 7 release date). 

I do know Warner Bros. is changing their marketing strategy and dropping trailers later on than they used to. I wonder about Bond though. I hope the trailer drops soon. It'll be interesting to see when trailers drop for the main May releases: Black WidowScoob, the new Saw, Fast & Furious 9 and Artemis Fowl.

13 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

They did fuck up the Shazam release date, tbf...

But, really, the biggest issue is just how much they fucked up Batman, Superman and their team-ups. The movies that should have been their big events are at the bottom, so it was such a huge missed opportunity.

But they're definitely righting the ship. Ant they have some very big upcoming movies with tremendous potential as well - if WW84 and The Batman deliver, they'll be in an excellent position.

They are already in excellent position. They just made a movie that cost $55M and it's going for a friggin billion.  That's on top of what Aquaman just did over the winter months and other projects. 

Next you're going to tell me that Batman & Robin was a missed opportunity.  Talk about living in the past. 

• Like 1