sfran43

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Mal2 $19.4M | Joker $19.2M | Adam's Family 12M | Zombieland $11.8M | Countdown $8.9M | Black & Blue $8.4M

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

According to “BOM”, 540k for Parasite still in 33 theatres, but idk how accurate that is.

It's in 130 theaters this weekend (according to BOM or whatever's left of it too heh) so there's definitely a typo in there somewhere.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Pretty boring weekend. I'm still really surprised that there was no major (as in: something that could actually make money) horror release this weekend.

I'm not. Even when there is a major Halloween themed release in October, it's almost never on the last weekend. It's like releasing a Christmas movie too close to Christmas. There isn't a big window to make money before the film completely dies after December 25.

The only horror movies that dropped on the weekend closest to Halloween were the Saw movies 10+ years ago. Countdown this weekend is a horror but it's a dump. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I'm not. Even when there is a major Halloween themed release in October, it's almost never on the last weekend. It's like releasing a Christmas movie too close to Christmas. There isn't a big window to make money before the film completely dies after December 25.

The only horror movies that dropped on the weekend closest to Halloween were the Saw movies 10+ years ago. Countdown this weekend is a horror but it's a dump. 

But horror movies aren’t exactly known for their legs, and the Paranormal Activity sequels and the two Saw sequels that opened the weekend before Halloween still suffered huge second weekend drops anyway. I’m sure that with a low enough budget, any studio would take a big opening weekend even if the horror flick in question ultimately had no staying power.

• Like 1

Just now, Webslinger said:

But horror movies aren’t exactly known for their legs, and the Paranormal Activity sequels and the two Saw sequels that opened the weekend before Halloween still suffered huge second weekend drops anyway. I’m sure that with a low enough budget, any studio would take a big opening weekend even if the horror flick in question ultimately had no staying power.

I would also imagine that originally the schedule in November looked detrimental and putting a decent film here would have to deal with the punch of the post holiday and the scope of the upcoming schedule. Or the studios just have decided to treat this weekend as several this year and just shrug at it. 

53 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Still  actually good horror film, like Ready or Not, could have actually benefited from the lack of competition and Halloween approaching.From then on the wom would do the rest until Doctor Sleep.

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

FWIW Doctor Sleep is doing sneaks on Wednesday at a number of theaters. Not sure why they didn't just make that the official opening day unless WB was absolutely committed to Joker being their only October release.

6 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Oh, I guess there are a couple different quantities for which somebody could be wishing 9M, huh 

But yeah, you guessed correctly

That is sub 40% weekly drop. If it night shows show as much weakness as yesterday I dont see it go that high. That said it should win the day today despite Joker having a strong day as well.if joker is even slighly weaker than yesterday late night it should increase 50% at AMC which is extraordinary for that movie which has shown limited saturday bumps. Plus it increase much better this friday than any other friday. I will update in 3 hours or so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 1