TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

30 minutes ago, dobrevv said:

this is second time in 2 years that mcu movie had positive test screenings but mixed reactions ,maybe they should change how they do test screenings 

according to vieweranon the test screenings werent even that positive

9 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Well they're skipping the origin so we know they can't have Sue literally not go on the mission like the last one

Wait what? She doesn't go on the mission? Then how did she get powers? I've never seen the 2015 movie lol

4 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I have seen a lot of these on twitter, and they have lots of likes...So I do see your point 

What a hilarious tweet. If some one doesn't get that its satire then they're either a buffoon or english isn't their first language.

5 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I have seen a lot of these on twitter, and they have lots of likes...So I do see your point 

Folks commenting about this tweet miiiiiiight want to re-read it a bit more carefully. 👍

(hint: Don't speed read it and think you get what it's saying)

Spoiler

The number of times he had to say "that's the joke" was pretty funny, I have to admit. :lol:

• Like 1

That comment about Paul Rudd phoning it in is unfortunate. This movie was his big moment! They talked so much about how happy they were that their movie was going to be a big deal and not a little deal so...go big!

I'll judge for myself when I see it though. Just not very heartening to hear.

20 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Nevermind, I read that wrong.

I wouldn't blame yourself, actually.  It's a phenomenon where the brain speeds ahead in sentences and gets contextual meaning even where it isn't actually there.  You think you read something, since most of the words you're expecting are there.

Saw a related phenomenon on Twitter recently.  Since I can't find the tweet easily, here it is in GIF form:

mixed-up-letters2_web_1024.jpg

*NOTE: There was no such research at Cambridge, it's a meme - see this link for more details.

The initial Tweet that started all of this is not entirely dissimilar to Typoglycaemia, IMO:

The phenomenon has been given the slightly tongue-in-cheek name "Typoglycaemia," and it works because our brains don't just rely on what they see - they also rely on what we expect to see.

In 2011, researchers from the University of Glasgow, conducting unrelated research, found that when something is obscured from or unclear to the eye, human minds can predict what they think they're going to see and fill in the blanks.

"Effectively, our brains construct an incredibly complex jigsaw puzzle using any pieces it can get access to," explained researcher Fraser Smith. "These are provided by the context in which we see them, our memories and our other senses."

basically, you expect to see something and if your brain skips over a word (or two or three) it fills in the blanks for you.

Happens all the time, really. Especially on a platform like Twitter which designed for Reading Quickly, Reacting Even Quicker, and Above All Else: Hot Takes. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I wouldn't blame yourself, actually.  It's a phenomenon where the brain speeds ahead in sentences and gets contextual meaning even where it isn't actually there.  You think you read something, since most of the words you're expecting are there.

Saw a related phenomenon on Twitter recently.  Since I can't find the tweet easily, here it is in GIF form:

mixed-up-letters2_web_1024.jpg

*NOTE: There was no such research at Cambridge, it's a meme - see this link for more details.

This is not entirely dissimilar to Typoglycaemia,:

basically, you expect to see something and if your brain skips over a word (or two or three) it fills in the blanks for you.

Happens all the time, really. Especially on a platform like Twitter which designed for Reading Quickly, Reacting Even Quicker, and Above All Else: Hot Takes. 

I was just going to say, social media likely exacerbates this. 

Fascinating!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Is the score supposed to be the second or third column here?

Both. For comparison on the number, Eternals ended at 61 and Black Adam ended at 66. Wakanda Forever at 81 and The Batman at 88.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

10 hours ago, Gopher said:

To the "well at least this sets up Kang as a threat" crew: there was nearly zero time spent attempting to make Thanos appear threatening until Infinity War. The first movie with an actual Thanos scene was a universally praised, cultural zeitgeist movie except for that one Thanos scene, which nobody even remembered happened in Guardians of the Galaxy. The movies matter, not the setups.

1. You haven't seen the film yet 

2. Even the RT/MC scores haven't dropped yet

3. IW WAS the setup film (for Endgame)