TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

Feel like anyone concerned about kang dynasty after these reviews forget how these movies normally have like 19 writers and it feels kind of obvious that feige will just replace this rick & morty writer with another one for that

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think I'll only start saying the "MCU is dying" if one the Avengers movies gets reception similar to the last couple MCU movies and underperforms. And honestly, I still wouldn't bet on that happening.

Pretty much this. If Kang dynasty and Secret wars both underperform and aren't received well, then yeah I would say the MCU is dying and CBM's in general are on a decline. We won't know for sure until 2027 or later 

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

Pretty much this. If Kang dynasty and Secret wars both underperform and aren't received well,

what does unperform mean for those 2?

a ww-c gross below 1.75 billion?

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think I'll only start saying the "MCU is dying" if one the Avengers movies gets reception similar to the last couple MCU movies and underperforms. And honestly, I still wouldn't bet on that happening.

Well the MCU movie before this one was BPWK which had pretty darn good reception. So maybe 2 out of the last 3 MCU films (if we're splitting hairs).

I am going to declare right now that GOTG3 gets terrific reception by both critics and audience. Then Marvels not so much.

Next year, however, could be a cluster@#$%

21 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

what does unperform mean for those 2?

a ww-c gross below 1.75 billion?

hmmm depends

(Excluding China because of Shang Chi)

Kang Dynasty I would say anything under Captain Marvels $1.1B

For Secret wars, it depends on cameos (Hugh, Tobey) and if some of the OGs come back (RDJ, Chris Evans etc)

For now, I would say anything under $1.5B would be an underperformance 

Still early of course, but I think those new Avengers films have the potential to only do like on par with, maybe even lower than Ultron. There's already the Marvel fatigue issue, the buildup for Kang is nowhere near as effective as Thanos has been, a lot of the fan favorites are gone. There's just no new and exciting hook that will get the normies excited like there were for the other ones. Only thing I can think of that would get people hyped is if through multiverse shenanigans they force Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans to come back for cheap nostalgia. Which...yeah, that's probably what they're gonna do. And it will sadly work like a charmer.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Firing James Gunn was the dumbest decision Marvel has ever made. 

He would have most likely left anyways. I'm not sure if he would've come back after GOTG3 and he probably still would've been offered the head DC job which is a clear promotion over being a mere director. Outside of the Guardians, I just don't think Gunn had a place in the MCU 

3 minutes ago, Eric the Conqueror said:

Still early of course, but I think those new Avengers films have the potential to only do like on par with, maybe even lower than Ultron. There's already the Marvel fatigue issue, the buildup for Kang is nowhere near as effective as Thanos has been, a lot of the fan favorites are gone. There's just no new and exciting hook that will get the normies excited like there were for the other ones. Only thing I can think of that would get people hyped is if through multiverse shenanigans they force Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans to come back for cheap nostalgia. Which...yeah, that's probably what they're gonna do. And it will sadly work like a charmer.

We have to remember, Thanos never had a proper introduction until IW so I would argue they've done a much better job with Kang in that aspect. Thanos was pretty one-dimensional in GOTG

I do agree with the "new Avengers just aren't exciting" part but Secret Wars is going to be filled with cameos, unfortunately 

Post-Secret Wars is when the real grind starts 

7 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

hmmm depends

(Excluding China because of Shang Chi)

Kang Dynasty I would say anything under Captain Marvels $1.1B

For Secret wars, it depends on cameos (Hugh, Tobey) and if some of the OGs come back (RDJ, Chris Evans etc)

For now, I would say anything under $1.5B would be an underperformance 

if they get RDJ/Evans back 2B should be the floor. Anything below must be disappointing. Otherwise your numbers are ok. 

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Post-Secret Wars is when the real grind starts 

Assuming they hold off on X-Men (or at least mostly hold off) until after Secret Wars, that's basically their get-out-of-jail-free card.

You can weave an entire phase or two around those guys and gals, and anticipation and hype will be big for those characters.

4 minutes ago, Eric the Conqueror said:

Wait...that's really going to happen? Well...there's your hook I guess.

Purely speculation on my part. It's been a popular rumor online but it could be wrong and we could have an MoM situation. It makes sense for them to bring back the big MCU stars to conclude the Multiverse saga. The same way it made sense to have Tobey and Andrew in a multiverse Spider-Man film. 

• Like 1