TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

1 hour ago, Sophia Jane said:

By the way, do you guys really think that the box office current now which is struggling with 500 million is OK?

This is Kang's first emerge in the MCU 5th phase. In terms of importance and structure, we can said this is the small Avengers,Just like Doctor Strange 2, if it is really just the second part of Doctor Strange,the box office is pretty good but consider MOM is the first introduce of Multiverse of Marvel,MOM’s box office is really bad,we can’t just see the title guys.we should see how important it is to Marvel!

For example.Back then, the original movie Captain Marvel earned 1.1 billion dollars worldwide by relying on the popularity of Avengers 4,Captain Marvel was just a hero who played a big role in Avengers 4, but Ant-Man 3 is a work that leads to the villains of Avengers 5,which is equivalent to the prequel of the Avengers, but is gross less than half of the box office of the CM, and you guys just still convince yourselves that the first two Ant-Man films were not a big hit so current result is acceptable?

In my mind This is dangerous sign of Avengers.

The standard for the MCU really dropped by an unknown line,don’t tell me you guys really treat MCU as the Hunger game/Twilight level’s franchise now.

The majority of the public, including people who would call themselves fans of the MCU have no idea what is coming next except for trailers.

No one knows who Kang is. In fact I bet there's some Loki viewers who haven't even made the connection. Loki really should have been a film.

Most of the audience either don't care or don't know Kang is the next big bad. You can't tell people someone is the big villain, they have to follow the story and see them as that.

The audience who care for Kang are going to watch any MCU content anyway.

Captain Marvel was a break out primarily because it was a female lead when that just hasn't been happening in the MCU and it was during MCU mania between IW and EG.

To most people they don't know who Kang is or why they should care. Instead Ant Man fans are seeing trailers which put two middle fingers up to the franchise and non Ant Man fans are still seeing Ant Man in trailers.

Kang for me sounds like a very unfriendly character for mainstream audiences. If you don't read the comics (95% of viewers) then I think the MCU is going to appear super fucking weird for the next three years.

53 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Maybe in the trivial sense that practically every blockbuster has a better verified audience score than critics. It's audience scores relative to the other MCU films are much worse than its reviews relative to other MCU films. 

Anecdotal I know but Thor 4 is the only MCU film I've had multiple conversations with people who switched it off and didn't watch it all. Probably better in theatres but it clearly rubbed some people the wrong way.

1 hour ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

QM Thor DS2 Eternals

Wait, so you say 4 of the last 5, count Quantumania, but don't count Spider-Man???? Why? That's ludicrously selective to not include a 2 billion dollar grossing smash hit because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Edited by SpiderByte

14 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Whaaaaaaaat how does BP2 have such a high score.   

I guess because nobody who wasn’t a fan showed up 🤔

9.0 - 9.5 is considered A / A-. Maoyan score is crazily inflated, 8.8 is B+ level. Score will continue to drop.

Remember every single Chinese New Year release got like 9.2 - 9.6 score..

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

You're going to seriously claim Black Panther and Doctor Strange were received poorly? Even Thor was received better by actual audiences than critics. Marvel is going to be fine. The never ending sky is falling attitude around here is very annoying.

DS2 had the worse legs of any MCU movie. Ang Lee HULK type legs. So yes.

Edited by CaptNathanBrittles

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

DS2 had the worse legs of any MCU movie. Ang Lee HULK type legs. So yes

It made 900 million dollars! How that's not exactly the sign of a movie audiences hated.

Lotta people here sure do love drawing targets around those bullet holes to make their points

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

9.0 - 9.5 is considered A / A-. Maoyan score is crazily inflated, 8.8 is B+ level. Score will continue to drop.

MCU/most Hollywood tends to be a little lower from what I remember. EG was like 9.1, normally they're in high 8s.

Edited by Menor Reborn

2 minutes ago, Landon1195 said:

It was a good movie.

China hated BP1 though and BP2 is a massive flop there with horrible ratings on other sites iirc

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Wait, so you say 4 of the last 5, count Quantumania, but don't count Spider-Man???? Why?

Because I said 4 of the last 5 Disney mcu? NWH is a special circumstance in a few ways

4 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

China hated BP1 though and BP2 is a massive flop there with horrible ratings on other sites iirc

Because I said 4 of the last 5 Disney mcu? NWH is a special circumstance in a few ways

Yeah didn't realize it was about China at first. My mistake.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It made 900 million dollars! How that's not exactly the sign of a movie audiences hated.

Lotta people here sure do love drawing targets around those bullet holes to make their points

My man it opened at 450 million.

It should've sailed through to 1.2 billion Atleast.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

If you just look at MCU maoyan’s like 8.6-8.9 most of them are A CS! Did it become even more inflated in past 3 years?

CM 8.7 A

AM&tW 8.8 A-

Ragnarok 8.9 A

DS1 8.9 A

CW 8.6 A

AM1 8.9 A

AoU 8.6 A

TDW 8.7 A-

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

He mentioned legs and not gross though.

BvS also had 800m gross, was it well liked? terrible legs.