TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

9 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

MCU seems to be becoming more domestic heavy in general.

I was going to mention this yesterday but forgot.

We can argue all day about the validity of the "MCU is dying" narrative here at home. It's probably NOT true in North America but you know what? The fact is it's very valid when it comes to overseas. There's just less and less interest by the day. I still maintain, as many others have said too, Phase 4 needed an Avengers movie or some.kind of team up climax movie, especially for the overseas audiences. We saw how the MCU reached another level overseas with The Avengers.

The MCU is just there right now. Meandering. And overseas audiences aren't here for that. On the domestic side of things people are a lot more loyal and invested, which isn't surprising given Marvel Comics is a beloved American property.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Now it does. Back in the Phase 3 Infinity War days, all Marvel movies were great to Juggernauts overseas. Even Captain Marvel, a standalone movie, fell into the latter category. 

Yeah of course, I definitely agree. But it has been a clear trend since the pandemic begun and It did not change after the world "came back to normal". I think this pattern of MCU movies being clearly more depedent of domestic box office is going to be the new normal.

15 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I was going to mention this yesterday but forgot.

We can argue all day about the validity of the "MCU is dying" narrative here at home. It's probably NOT true in North America but you know what? The fact is it's very valid when it comes to overseas. There's just less and less interest by the day. I still maintain, as many others have said too, Phase 4 needed an Avengers movie or some.kind of team up climax movie, especially for the overseas audiences. We saw how the MCU reached another level overseas with The Avengers.

The MCU is just there right now. Meandering. And overseas audiences aren't here for that. On the domestic side of things people are a lot more loyal and invested, which isn't surprising given Marvel Comics is a beloved American property.

I think it's a very real concern, because even in places where Marvel was REALLY big like Asia (China and South Korea mostly) it's clearly losing traction and Europe seems to be even more apathetic as a whole. The MCU cannot lose it's strenght in LATAM, because it would be a very bad sign for it's overseas potential in the future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Well, Phase 4 didn't have China, the biggest OS market, so that would've skewed things. Let's see how Phase 5 performs 

Yeah, but China is very likely going to be far from the monstrous box office it once was for the MCU, South Korea seems to be declining fast as well, Europe as a whole seems to be declining too, etc. So, maybe is indeed too soon to make hard conclusions, but the pattern is clearly there IMO.

3 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

Yeah, but China is very likely going to be far from the monstrous box office it once was for the MCU, South Korea seems to be declining fast as well, Europe as a whole seems to be declining too, etc. So, maybe is indeed too soon to make hard conclusions, but the pattern is clearly there IMO.

The problem with this is that phase 4 films weren't received well...

NWH did $1B OS with no China and during Omicron because it was received well. 

MoM did $500M OS but WOM was weak.

LaT had bad WOM.

Black Panther is a domestic thing.

And Antman is underperforming OS because it isn't received well.

If the recent MCU films were being received well and were still underperforming OS, then yes, I would have agreed that it's a worrying trend 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

The problem with this is that phase 4 films weren't received well...

NWH did $1B OS with no China and during Omicron because it was received well. 

MoM did $500M OS but WOM was weak.

LaT had bad WOM.

Black Panther is a domestic thing.

And Antman is underperforming OS because it isn't received well.

If the recent MCU films were being received well and were still underperforming OS, then yes, I would have agreed that it's a worrying trend 

NWH is an exception IMO. The circunstances were very specific and different from the other MCU movies. That movie was carried hard for the Raimi Spider-Man nostalgia and that is something that cannot be replicated. Another MCU Spider-Man movie is not going to replicate anything close to that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Flamengo81 said:

NWH is an exception IMO. The circunstances were very specific and different from the other MCU movies. That movie was carried hard for the Raimi Spider-Man nostalgia and that is something that cannot be replicated. Another MCU Spider-Man movie is not going to replicate anything close to that.

But NWH wouldn´t grossed nearly as much if it wasn´t received well. If it had been bad it prob would have gotten way less. It still would have made easy money but people act like the quality of the movie didn´t matter.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I am never trusting the reviews again. I throughly enjoyed that. Maybe I just had lowered expectations but I thought it was pretty damn good and was more of a 70% movie(yes I know how the RT rating works).

3/5 stars.

Your star rating is like 0.5 away from most reviews.

37 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I am never trusting the reviews again. I throughly enjoyed that. Maybe I just had lowered expectations but I thought it was pretty damn good and was more of a 70% movie(yes I know how the RT rating works).

3/5 stars.

So you’re giving it a 6/10 and can no longer trust Rotten Tomatoes reviews that give it an average of 5.7/10?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

So you’re giving it a 6/10 and can no longer trust Rotten Tomatoes reviews that give it an average of 5.7/10?

2 out of 3 of the first reviews on the main page say it’s a 2/5 and “the worst marvel movie yet” I’m just saying that I disagree. If you disagree with me, that’s fine.

Edited by eddyxx

7 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

You disagree with the 5.7/10 average? Or your 6/10 score?

I disagree the movie is a 2/5 And the worst marvel movie. If anything it’s on the same level as Iron Man 3 or Age of Ultron but I’ve seen the worst of marvel and it had a Norse god flying his weapon like a witch in it.

5 stars - Infinity War

4 stars - GOTG 2

3 Stars Antman 3

2 stars  - Thor: L and T

1 star - they haven’t made a movie that bad yet but the above Thor movie definitely was pushing it 🤷‍♂️

Edited by eddyxx

6 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I disagree the movie is a 2/5 And the worst marvel movie. If anything it’s on the same level as Iron Man 3 or Age of Ultron but I’ve seen the worst of marvel and it had a Norse god flying his weapon like a witch in it.

It seems like this movie inspires no love, which always makes the word of mouth worse.  Like with Black Adam, those who liked it, still only liked it, and those who hated it really hated it, so WOM was mostly bad/toxic.  If a movie can't find a group that loves it (to defend it and to push people out to see it), but does have a group that utterly hates it (or are completely disapppointed by it), that is normally the way the online chatter goes...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It seems like this movie inspires no love, which always makes the word of mouth worse.  Like with Black Adam, those who liked it, still only liked it, and those who hated it really hated it, so WOM was motsly bad/toxic.  If a movie can't find a group that loves it (to defend it and to push people out to see it), but does have a group that utterly hates it (or are completely disapppointed by it), that is normally the way the online chatter goes...

yeah I agree with your whole post.  On the internet everything has to be THE BEST EVER or THE WORST JUST AWFUL IT KILLED MY DOG. But I’m ok with it being mid, as the kids call things, these days. It doesn’t have to be a masterpiece but I don’t think it’s dog shit either.  Some people on here are acting like I can’t say that but I’ll agree to disagree: I enjoyed the movie and that’s all that matters 🤷‍♂️