TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

43 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

It can still win something, jury are not critics. Mayben not Golden Lion, but actress for Gaga or something supporting.

There's just the Volpi Cup for Best Actor and Best Actress from the main competition. Last year Peter Sarsgaard won but was submitted in Supporting with other awards bodies and groups. Keep in mind there were the strikes last year and the two acting winners were conveniently from productions with waivers to attend Venice. So it's possible for Gaga to win Best Actress here, but it tends to favor lead performances.

This critical reception is what they get for their "It's not a musical!" messaging. And you're saying Gaga did all that Method "Call me Lee!" stuff for a Supporting role?! Wow

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Skimming through the reviews...many say Gaga is very good but underused and her character is cast to the sidelines outside of the musical pieces. 

I'm really disappointed. 

Edited by Noctis

16 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I can't imagine that mixed reviews would have a negative impact on Joker 2's box office. Seems like the kind of film that would withstand that kind of impact by it's very nature. Overwhelmingly negative reviews would be different.

Opening weekend could be safe, maybe. But WOM among mainstream audiences could be weaker than before.

Edited by Jay Beezy

Wow, been busy, and i just saw the reviews. Some are calling it dull and apparently, it's a courtroom drama.

Shame, people have major expectations. Let's wait, but  i feel it's gonna leave the audience bored.

Edited by Maggie

people have to remember what made the first Joker such a cultural phenomenon was the fact that it was so controversial, not that critics hated it. Also Joker 2 is going to be way more susceptible to bad review than say a fanboy rush film like Deadpool 3 would be. Joker 2 needs to pull those same “non cbm” demos it did back in 2019

doesn’t matter at the end of the day because I wasn’t expecting $1B nor am I expecting it to go sub $800M with it without great reviews 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Skimming through the reviews...many say Gaga is very good but underused and her character is cast to the sidelines outside of the musical pieces. 

I'm really disappointed. 

bad reviews complains about musical performances too. At some point they became too much and boring and doesn't add anything to the plot. Also some people say she is good at singing but acting is not that special, especially near to Phoenix. 

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean, that never in doubt. Joker 2 wasn't ever coming close to D&W's gross

Yeah expectations were way too high for Joker 2. If Joker in 2019 barely crossed $1B with a much stronger market and being a WOM phenomenon, I don’t see why Joker 2 would outgross it by almost 30% without a significant draw like Batman 

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Yeah expectations were way too high for Joker 2. If Joker in 2019 barely crossed $1B with a much stronger market and being a WOM phenomenon, I don’t see why Joker 2 would outgross it by almost 30% without a significant draw like Batman 

I mean extra 74 mln is not barely, it's quite comfortable, but The Dark Knight's extra 4 million was barely, I wouldn't be surprised if WB was fudging it at the time to cross the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Deadpool 3 early review panic all over again 

Entirely different situations. Deadpool was guaranteed to open massively even with bad reviews because of Hugh Jackman. Joker 2 entire draw is being a well made character study that is exciting for CBM fans and GA.

WOM and reviews matters A LOT for Joker 2 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

with another loved movie why not. It became a sort of cult movie not only for the the cine comic fans. Even if the first movie was already big someway it feels like under its potential cause a lot of people discovered it in the next months- years, So one of the cases a sequel can make better than the original.

But from what i'm reading, basically a very true musical, i think the audience loved the fist movie won't like this.

Also the fact it seems to "correct" the message of the first movie could bring to backlash from the audience loved the first movie because its message wasn't mainstream and woke etcc..

Edited by vale9001

14 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

people have to remember what made the first Joker such a cultural phenomenon was the fact that it was so controversial, not that critics hated it. Also Joker 2 is going to be way more susceptible to bad review than say a fanboy rush film like Deadpool 3 would be. Joker 2 needs to pull those same “non cbm” demos it did back in 2019

doesn’t matter at the end of the day because I wasn’t expecting $1B nor am I expecting it to go sub $800M with it without great reviews 

ANd this one took a lot more chances then the first one. A lot of people are skeptical about turning this into a musical. A really misced reception wil not help it in that regard.

5 minutes ago, wattage said:

I was expecting it to be a bit mixed but the reviews calling it boring are the most worrying. How do you even manage to make a boring musical about a maniac? 

A failed attempt at another "Sweeney Todd?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It isn't getting panned. But it's also not getting praised. It sounds like it's an okay sequel, for better or worse. Which is damning.

Particularly since Phillips was reallly trying for something differene wiht this one and, frm the reviews, did not pull it off.

Just from a brief glance at the reviews on RT, it seems similar to the previous film with US critics disliking it while UK critics like it (albeit to a lesser degree than the original). I don’t think this is anything to worry about so far.

That said, the fact that they’ve been actively trying to play down the musical aspect of it when it is infact a musical will likely hurt it’s chances. That alone makes me think it won’t get near the gross of the original. I can see there being walkouts when general audiences realise it’s a musical. 

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1