TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

8 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

A user named u/blownaway4 on Reddit is calling Joker 2 2024's Barbenheimer. Do you agree or disagree?

You and your weird obsessions with randos on reddit

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

It very well could. The Joker movie was well received, this is starring Lady Gaga who made ASIB a fairly big hit, and people LOVE the Joker/Harley combination.

Even 1.35 might not be enough to beat DPW

Edited by HummingLemon496

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

I see no reason this don’t make more than original. Expecting a jump domestic to 500M. 

I just don’t see the novelty factor being there anymore. And ngl, I’m not hearing people talk about this movie atm the same way they did the last one. Do expect this to match the last one in legs though (think it’s going to be better than the last one)

• Like 2

Joker 2 trailer seemed to hide the fact that this is a musical. That could end badly as I’ve seen how films are received when they hid their true genre.

that being said, if this is a musical I can see it being a disaster financially. CBM demo (18-35 males) will hate it and Joker 2 is not pulling the same crowds it did back in 2019. 

I have no doubts it will open bigger, but it will almost surely fall well short from Joker WW

Edited by TheFlatLannister

On 8/14/2024 at 8:52 PM, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

It very well could. The Joker movie was well received, this is starring Lady Gaga who made ASIB a fairly big hit, and people LOVE the Joker/Harley combination.

People are significantly overestimating the pull Gaga has with 18-35 males which will be the main groups coming out. This isn’t a Hugh Jackman or Tobey maguire situation. 

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

People are significantly overestimating the pull Gaga has with 18-35 males which will be the main groups coming out. This isn’t a Hugh Jackman or Tobey maguire situation. 

Nah, Gaga locks in 3B

/s

Edited by HummingLemon496

20 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Joker 2 trailer seemed to hide the fact that this is a musical. That could end badly as I’ve seen how films are received when they hid their true genre.

that being said, if this is a musical I can see it being a disaster financially. CBM demo (18-35 males) will hate it and Joker 2 is not pulling the same crowds it did back in 2019. 

I have no doubts it will open bigger, but it will almost surely fall well short from Joker WW

I saw some interviews saying it's more close to a movie with songs. I don't know. I mean, there is no way they can really hide it after Venice premiere. Maybe they try to avoid unnecessary controversy by controlling consciousness in early phase.

• Like 1

It’s pretty obvious this is just going to have a couple musical sequences in it (which are clearly shown in the trailer) and not a full blown musical. If anything, I expect people to love the musical sequences here. I remember back when Joker was about to come out, people (including me) thought it would have terrible legs because no one was going to like a comic book movie with no action scenes.

Edited by lorddemaxus

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It’s pretty obvious this is just going to have a couple musical sequences in it (which are clearly shown in the trailer) and not a full blown musical. If anything, I expect people to love the musical sequences here. I remember back when Joker was about to come out, people (including me) thought it would have terrible legs because no one was going to like a comic book movie with no action scenes.

Yeah it feels like Deja Vu  how people are possibly underestimating the potential again.

Everyone who saw the first movie is going into this knowing it's not a traditional movie musical ala something like The Greatest Showman, and that all the musical numbers are (presumably) in the heads of the unreliable narrator leads. This is a non-issue IMO.

• Like 2