TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

That's true. Do we know how many songs are performed in this movie?

The rumor is that this version of Harley is a lot like Wanda in Wandavision except with Musicals instead of sitcoms.

It's a Musical, live with it.

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

They’re not hiding the music aspect, if you think that you clearly haven’t watched the trailer

WHich makes it the wierder that Phillips seem not to want to call this a musical.

It's reasonable that they want this to stay in Drama (where the first movie competed) and not go to the Musical/Comedy category at the Golden Globes. They've recently been rejecting biopics or dramas that happen to have a high amount of musical amount of musical numbers (like Gaga's very own ASIB) from competing in that category unless they really go all in on the flashy production numbers ala Rocketman, before they would have no problem with things like Ray or Phoenix's own Walk the Line (which actually won Picture!) under that designation.

6 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

I blame Hamilton for people hating musical nowadays. 

Phillips namechecked In the Heights in his wacky interview, saying this was nothing "like that". That makes it sound like WB execs got to him.

I believe you overthink Phillips' or Sher's words about this not being a musical. What I gather is it's not a straightforward musical Les Misarebles and La La Land are, and they obviously don't want to alienate their audience too much. Yeah, Joaquin and Gaga sing from time to time, but they also have plenty of normal conversations and supporting characters and extras don't randomly break into dancing and singing, I think that's what he means.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Eric Ripley said:

Wish I could like this twice. Gotta suck to be too insecure in your masculinity and hate musicals.

Ill watch a romcom before a musical, it just doesn't work for me when the film is trying to take itself seriously. I think they just work better in kids movies and I'm pretty secure in my masculinity. 

South Park was enjoyable though

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

WHich makes it the wierder that Phillips seem not to want to call this a musical.

Because he doesn't want to limit his audience. What I find weird is leaning into the musical angle in the first place if you aren't that confident in labelling the film a musical

15 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It's so absurd. You have these people online who loudly hate musicals because of the lack of "realism". If they were all about stuff like Mike Leigh and Kelly Reichardt films, okay. But you know they're just stanning every other CGI-fest action/superhero/fantasy movie.

And their definition of the genre is pretty narrow. "Musicals" to them are sung-through, or only target female audiences, and all the Disney animated classics don't count as musicals in their minds for...reasons. Their definition conveniently excludes any musical movie they actually might have liked. They just really want the world to know they hate that "theatre kid" crap.

Having CGI in a movie is in no way similar to your characters breaking our with a dance half way through a scene with the entire cast joining in. We overlook CGI when there are believable characters. 

I dont see the big deal, some people don't like CBM's, some dont like comedies, some don't rom coms and some don't like musicals. I wouldn't assume someone is just top scared if they told me they dislike horror movies

15 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Also, if Harley and Joker are fantasizing anyway, then why wouldn't they imagine themselves having good/great voices? Maybe because the lack of polish will seem more "real" to the anti-musical bros: "It's not a musical, it's a drama with occasional expressive singing!" "Come see the mansical (it won't lower your T-levels, we promise)!"

I don't see why they have to imagine themselves singing at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaxon5 said:

Having CGI in a movie is in no way similar to your characters breaking our with a dance half way through a scene with the entire cast joining in. We overlook CGI when there are believable characters. 

I dont see the big deal, some people don't like CBM's, some dont like comedies, some don't rom coms and some don't like musicals. I wouldn't assume someone is just top scared if they told me they dislike horror movies

I don't see why they have to imagine themselves singing at all.

Maybe because they use music as therapy...

Edited by efialtes76

They literally talked about how they went to great lengths to record the music for this live and with a pianist on set; they blew the budget on humungous sets that harken back to technicolor musicals from the 1950’s. Saying they’re going out of there way to not make this a musical just feels like concern trolling lmao. Maybe this movie will suck, but it’s pretty abundantly clear what the intention was

• Like 2

The comments specifically about "well it's not a musical, it's a movie where instead of saying what he's feeling he sings it instead" are what set off the bells for me. That...is what a musical is. Which means this is a musical being made by someone who does not (or is pretending to not) understand what musicals are.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The comments specifically about "well it's not a musical, it's a movie where instead of saying what he's feeling he sings it instead" are what set off the bells for me. That...is what a musical is. Which means this is a musical being made by someone who does not (or is pretending to not) understand what musicals are.

There was a run of musicals which massively flopped so hollywood is running away from framing this as musicals. In addition to that, Joker specifically has some marketing problems (and opportunities!) with its initial audience versus a musical's audience and the audience Gaga pulls. This is someone hitting the interview circuit to "sell cars" and WB clearly thinks that this is the way to sell them. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

There was a run of musicals which massively flopped so hollywood is running away from framing this as musicals.

But they bombed because of promotion like this, where they tried to hide it being a musical. People went into Mean Girls having no idea it was an adaptation of the stage version and not just a remake of the movie!

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1